“work in progress”

Cortina Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 November 2012

With fond memories of family stays at the Cortina during Pico ski trips 25 years ago, I reserved a room for one night to follow a Middlebury evening concert. The Cortina had become an unpolished jewel for many years, but word from the locals suggested that better days were ahead with new ownership. My heart is with the Cortina. After check-in (more on this below), we opened the door to our room to find that it had been thoroughly and recently refinished in quite pleasing ways, though perhaps at the standard of a good Super 8 or Econolodge. Both interior and exterior doors to the room were missing the security requisite of a dead bolt lock. There was no microwave, small fridge, or coffee maker in the room, any of which could be useful, but the bathroom was quite clean and the bed was quite comfortable. We never did figure out how to coordinate the wall thermostat on one side of the room with the wall heater on the other side of the room. They seemed to be in continuous disagreement, and there were no written instructions to guide us. We did achieve a 12-hour mean temperature of 70 degrees but, unfortunately, the standard deviation was about 4 degrees. The breakfast room was delightful, and, in addition to a large buffet, we were personally served a hot plate of delicious scrambled eggs, home fries, and sausage.

Now, to the check-in issue: We arrived from Middlebury at about 10:00 p.m. and found no one at the desk. A nicely formatted sign beside a telephone on the counter instructed us to dial "0."
This led to a conversation with a reservationist at another location who suggested that we wait at the desk for 5 or 10 minutes and, if no one returned, to call her again. We waited, no one returned, and we called again. She said that she would now call the manager (also at another location) who would call the cell phone of the individual on the night shift. I asked to speak with the manager myself (now being somewhat irritated and quite tired), but this was not permitted. We waited, then upwards to 20 minutes. In the meantime, by walking behind the desk and sorting first through several paper piles and then activating a computer monitor, I confirmed that our reservation was received, was known, and clearly on the monitor display; we were expected. Finally, the night shift staff person appeared from an upstair balcony room and processed our check-in. We were in our room by 10:45. I write this to suggest that the Cortina not only needs a better system for monitoring evening arrivals but also as a warning to guests that, should some problem--especially an emergency--occur at night, we did not find the Cortina adequately staffed for a large property. Dialing "0" from a room telephone would contact an off-site reservationist, not the off-site manager, and the on-site staff would likely be inaccessible to all but a fire alarm.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JackR_8

Reviewed 5 November 2012

It's not like it use to be... Musty smell when you first walk in, grounds unkept, out dated lobby area. Very few guest and little staff, but friendly, nice room and was clean, elevator under repair. Would be a good location horror movie. We chose not to eat breakfast there, so I can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OPCR
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Enjoyed my stay at the Cortina Inn! Especially as they are pet friendly so my cocker spaniel Joey loved coming along with us on our road trip to Vermont. They charge $25 extra for our dog. The lobby has a seating area that surrounds a central wood burning fireplace and is really nice to sit around, read a book, play a game or drink wine. I love the sight and warmth of a fireplace at night and in the morning. It just gives me a really warm feeling instead. Throughout the lobby they had nice seating areas with comfortable couches. My only complaint would be that there are TOO many patterns on the carpet and furniture, overwhelming your eyes. They should have more solid, neutral fabrics in the room to offset the other patterns.

My room had a comfortable king bed and had a back door that opened out onto the back "garden" which consisted of a small pond, bridge, benches and a gazebo on the hill. There was also a shuffle ball court? which I am not familiar with so I didnt use it. My dog joey enjoyed his morning walk out there. Make sure to lock this back door as it appeared someone had tried to break into it earlier. I didnt have any problems but did notice it when returning.

The indoor pool is nice and does have a deep end of 10 feet. It was great for swimming laps and a comfortable temperature. The hot tub was working and not too hot but I preferred the pool. Down the stairs were the locker rooms with saunas (closed) and gym which seemed dated but in working condition.

Breakfast in the morning was varied and satisfying. Not gourmet or anything but filled me up. They had french toast, eggs, sausage, corned beef hash, potatoes, hot and cold cereal varities, bagels, toast, fruit, juice, hot chocolate, coffee and make-your-own waffles. I enjoyed the waffle and hot chocolate best. We had no problems with the food running out and the manager constantly checked to make sure it was not empty.

As I am from out of town, I am not familiar with the history of the inn. But from what I experienced, I would definitely return and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Highway noise very noticable...Room smelled musty, shower water was luke warm. Beds were firm, linens clean. Staff were very helpful in checking in,Travel Zoo lost the reservation they alowed us to use their computer to get it squared away... Could not use the hot tub because the water was near scalding... No elevator/lift..difficult to schlep the bags up a flight of stairs...The free breakfast was just ok...would probably pick another place next time...

Room Tip: any room to the right of the desk, second floor, opposite side of the highway...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We recently spent the evening here while traveling to go to the Green Mountain Pug 10th Annual Social in Killington, VT. When we arrived, the woman who met us at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They even had out dog treats for all the pugs in the hotel. The room was recently remodeled and incredibly clean! Breakfast in the morning was wonderful! This is a great place and I would surely stay here again. This hotel was packed with pugs, and everyone we ran into was very accomodating. The only thing I would say, and this has nothing to do with the hotel...if you are looking for somewhere to eat, DO NOT GO to the Tap House across the street. The worst food we have ever had, was had here.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room with a door that lets you enter and exit from it so you don't have t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We were attending a wedding down the road and decided to stay here for the night. It was the end of May, the very opposite of ski season. The hotel was pretty empty and reminded me of the Shining. However, the renovated room was very nice! The king size bed was comfy, and the bathroom was clean and spacious. We paid a good price, so we were pleasantly surprised. We would definitely come back during ski season!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed only one night at the Cortina, but we were impressed with the renovations that had been completed. Our room had a brand new bathroom with lovely granite counter top. The room was large (we had two double beds) and comfy. Since we were on the first floor, we had a back door which opened up to a little patio. Were also able to bring our luggage in through the back door, as there were parking spaces close by, and, therefore, we didn't have to carry our luggage through the lobby and down the hall. The room darkening curtains are quite effective.

The Cortina Inn is definitely a ski lodge and has the feel of such especially considering there is a large fire place and sitting area next to the lobby. So if you are looking for a five star, upscale place, I would suggest you go elsewhere. It's an inn in the mountains of Vermont. It's quaintness is charming as well as the innkeepers. They were friendly, helpful and available. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room - super quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
#3 of 13 in Killington
Killington Mountain Lodge
Killington Mountain Lodge
#4 of 13 in Killington

Been to Cortina Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!