“All around pleasant experience”

Cortina Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Our stay at the Cortina Inn was great. We came in late after a very cold day of skiing. The management was more that happy to have us check in around 6 rather than 3. The man at the desk was helpful, going so far as to offer us the free coffee, tea, and granola bars.

The room was well-appointed and very clean. Though it was a bit chilly. The temperature had bee set at 59 degrees, which after a day spend skiing that starts at -3, was quite cold. The room heated up quickly and we moved on.

The beds were insanely comfortable and, after returning from dinner, we fell right asleep. There was a small game room with an air hockey table and a ping-pong table but it looks like a work in progress. The pool and hottub looked nice, but we didn't have a chance to utilize them. There was also a bar that looked cool, but we were far to tired.

The breakfast in the morning was a pleasant surprise. We had been expecting a simple continental breakfast but were met with a dining room and a full hot breakfast including eggs, bacon, home fries, hash, waffles, pancakes, and french toast.

All in all, our stay was great.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Cortina I, Manager at Cortina Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel and staff to your liking. We look forward to having you stay with us again and maybe next time you will be able to enjoy the other amenities the hotel as to offer!

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed here for a night after a day of skiing in Killington. I did think that the resort would be closer to the access road, since many reviews talked about it being in close proximity to the mountain; however, it was about 2 minutes away from Pico Mt, so perhaps that's the reference.

Anyways, the hotel was nice and cozy. They had doubled my reservation by accident, but they fixed it right away, no issue. We had a queen room with a balcony, but it was about 2 degrees outside, so it wasn't used. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast the next day exceeded expectations! We figured we would be having a typical continental breakfast, but instead got a nice hot buffet. They also had hot water and a variety of teas available all day.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. If I were going up to Killington again, I would probably stay somewhere a bit closer/on the access road, but overall I loved the Cortina.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

First time Pulling onto this property it seemed cozy. Overall hotel was decent but when we arrived they double booked my room with the fireplace so I was not happy. They did accommodate us at a discounted rate for the room we were given. Room was clean . Pool was cold and jacuzzi was not warm . Breakfast was average. Not a lot of staff either on the property. No bartender on site either and the towels they put in the room were so skimpy. we asked for towels and they said we could get them. not good service.On New Year's Eve the manager booked a taxi for us to go to a local establishment; Roy's taxi. I highly do not recommend them! They picked us up on time at the hotel but at 2am he never showed to pick us up so we had to make other arrangements and didn't arrive back at the hotel till 3am. Not a great way to end the night out. I probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. We value your opinion and are always trying to improve. I did want to mention that I think you were mis-informed regarding our staff and management. The ENTIRE staff lives on property including the manager who checked you in and myself who works the desk in the mornings. Unfortunately, our phone system has been having issues and that is why we have an outside company to pick up any missed calls. The employees of that company are the only ones who are not on property. I do apologize that much of your frustration was a misunderstanding.

The hotel does have 24hour coffee and tea at the front desk as well as a microwave for all guest to use. We also have a few refrigerators available for rent and would have been happy to provide one for you. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your breakfast and I hope that you will give the Cortina another chance and that your next experience will be a better one.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

With fond memories of family stays at the Cortina during Pico ski trips 25 years ago, I reserved a room for one night to follow a Middlebury evening concert. The Cortina had become an unpolished jewel for many years, but word from the locals suggested that better days were ahead with new ownership. My heart is with the Cortina. After check-in (more on this below), we opened the door to our room to find that it had been thoroughly and recently refinished in quite pleasing ways, though perhaps at the standard of a good Super 8 or Econolodge. Both interior and exterior doors to the room were missing the security requisite of a dead bolt lock. There was no microwave, small fridge, or coffee maker in the room, any of which could be useful, but the bathroom was quite clean and the bed was quite comfortable. We never did figure out how to coordinate the wall thermostat on one side of the room with the wall heater on the other side of the room. They seemed to be in continuous disagreement, and there were no written instructions to guide us. We did achieve a 12-hour mean temperature of 70 degrees but, unfortunately, the standard deviation was about 4 degrees. The breakfast room was delightful, and, in addition to a large buffet, we were personally served a hot plate of delicious scrambled eggs, home fries, and sausage.

Now, to the check-in issue: We arrived from Middlebury at about 10:00 p.m. and found no one at the desk. A nicely formatted sign beside a telephone on the counter instructed us to dial "0."
This led to a conversation with a reservationist at another location who suggested that we wait at the desk for 5 or 10 minutes and, if no one returned, to call her again. We waited, no one returned, and we called again. She said that she would now call the manager (also at another location) who would call the cell phone of the individual on the night shift. I asked to speak with the manager myself (now being somewhat irritated and quite tired), but this was not permitted. We waited, then upwards to 20 minutes. In the meantime, by walking behind the desk and sorting first through several paper piles and then activating a computer monitor, I confirmed that our reservation was received, was known, and clearly on the monitor display; we were expected. Finally, the night shift staff person appeared from an upstair balcony room and processed our check-in. We were in our room by 10:45. I write this to suggest that the Cortina not only needs a better system for monitoring evening arrivals but also as a warning to guests that, should some problem--especially an emergency--occur at night, we did not find the Cortina adequately staffed for a large property. Dialing "0" from a room telephone would contact an off-site reservationist, not the off-site manager, and the on-site staff would likely be inaccessible to all but a fire alarm.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JackR_8
Reviewed 5 November 2012

It's not like it use to be... Musty smell when you first walk in, grounds unkept, out dated lobby area. Very few guest and little staff, but friendly, nice room and was clean, elevator under repair. Would be a good location horror movie. We chose not to eat breakfast there, so I can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OPCR
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Enjoyed my stay at the Cortina Inn! Especially as they are pet friendly so my cocker spaniel Joey loved coming along with us on our road trip to Vermont. They charge $25 extra for our dog. The lobby has a seating area that surrounds a central wood burning fireplace and is really nice to sit around, read a book, play a game or drink wine. I love the sight and warmth of a fireplace at night and in the morning. It just gives me a really warm feeling instead. Throughout the lobby they had nice seating areas with comfortable couches. My only complaint would be that there are TOO many patterns on the carpet and furniture, overwhelming your eyes. They should have more solid, neutral fabrics in the room to offset the other patterns.

My room had a comfortable king bed and had a back door that opened out onto the back "garden" which consisted of a small pond, bridge, benches and a gazebo on the hill. There was also a shuffle ball court? which I am not familiar with so I didnt use it. My dog joey enjoyed his morning walk out there. Make sure to lock this back door as it appeared someone had tried to break into it earlier. I didnt have any problems but did notice it when returning.

The indoor pool is nice and does have a deep end of 10 feet. It was great for swimming laps and a comfortable temperature. The hot tub was working and not too hot but I preferred the pool. Down the stairs were the locker rooms with saunas (closed) and gym which seemed dated but in working condition.

Breakfast in the morning was varied and satisfying. Not gourmet or anything but filled me up. They had french toast, eggs, sausage, corned beef hash, potatoes, hot and cold cereal varities, bagels, toast, fruit, juice, hot chocolate, coffee and make-your-own waffles. I enjoyed the waffle and hot chocolate best. We had no problems with the food running out and the manager constantly checked to make sure it was not empty.

As I am from out of town, I am not familiar with the history of the inn. But from what I experienced, I would definitely return and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Highway noise very noticable...Room smelled musty, shower water was luke warm. Beds were firm, linens clean. Staff were very helpful in checking in,Travel Zoo lost the reservation they alowed us to use their computer to get it squared away... Could not use the hot tub because the water was near scalding... No elevator/lift..difficult to schlep the bags up a flight of stairs...The free breakfast was just ok...would probably pick another place next time...

Room Tip: any room to the right of the desk, second floor, opposite side of the highway...