“Every trip to Vermont includes a stop at Sugar & Spice!”

Maple Sugar & Vermont Spice
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Cuisines: American, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Me and my fiance discovered this wonderful little restaurant about 2 years ago by accident, and since then have made a point to stop there whenever we head up to Vermont. We have been back 4 times now and feel that warrants being labeled as a new tradition!

They only take orders until 2pm, so every stop of ours has been for breakfast/brunch, which they do fantastically well. Our staple is the sugar and spice pancakes, which are always amazing, and 4 trips later I still order them. Don't forget to at least look through their specials for the day as well, our last trip (Saturday 4/19/14) they had a stuffed french toast with apples on top, which was actually worth not getting the pancakes (I did manage to steal a few obligatory bites of my fiance's pancakes though!).

The lovely rustic decor really gives you that small town feeling as you fall in love with the place long before you even walk in the front doors. There are some wonderful old wagons and an old broken down truck in front of the iconic sign that get me excited every time we pull up. The decoration inside is more of the same as you walk into the log cabin-esque restaurant.

In closing, if you're looking for an excellent breakfast, with a very small town/personal touch, stop at sugar and spice!

1  Thank James M

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stumbled upon this place on my first trip to Vermont and have scheduled visits into every successive trip to Vermont. I cannot miss the amazing homemade ice cream or delicious variations of classic breakfast food. All of the portions are giant and I always have to work two separate visits into my vacation plan because by the time I finish half of my Sugar and Spice pancakes (absolutely amazing) ...there is no room for homemade Maple Crunch ice cream... and I cannot go home without ice cream, so I just have to come back for a second visit! I recommend stopping at this restaurant any time that you get the chance. Last time we sat at the counter and had the joy of watching the cooks and waitresses manage the busy Saturday morning shift. I have worked in restaurants and greatly enjoyed how streamlined their process was. Sitting at the counter is a treat if you get the chance, but make sure, no matter where you sit, that you get to taste the incredible culinary flavors that this restaurant puts together!

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best place to get breakfast in the Rutland area! They serve everything with real maple syrup that they make themselves. The pumpkin pancakes are amazing! Service is always great, food is always hot...even us locals love it!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Have eaten at Maple Sugar & Vermont Spice many times and they have never disappointed. Service and food are always excellent and the merchandise (vermont foods, clothes, knick knacks, etc.) is great too. We always have breakfast food - pancakes, eggs, french toast, etc. A must stop for breakfast/brunch if you are in the area.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Went for breakfast and ordered the sugar and spice pancakes with Vermont maple syrup and sausage. Portions are huge and the food is absolutely delicious, plus it's a great value! There are also some souvenirs for purchase and you can observe how they make the maple syrup. If I'm ever back in the Killington area, I know where I'll be eating breakfast!