“Hidden treasure! Come hungry!”

Countryman's Pleasure
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hadn't been to Countryman's in several years. Was just as good as we remembered it. Husband had lamb that he raved about. I had crab cakes that were so light they could have floated. Spaetzle tasted the way my mom and aunts made it. Chef made my meal from scratch to accommodate my crazy food allergies. Even without the typical herbs, it was very very tasty. The shrimp cocktail was big enuf I could have shared it but, selfishly, I wolfed it all myself! Then, we get to dessert-meringue pavlova to die for. Everybody in restaurant ate everything on their plates. Usually, you see plates being cleared in restaurants that still have food left on them. Here, nobody had anything left for doggie bags. I overheard one couple raving about the schnitzel and a family of four adults who loved the sauerbraten. The restaurant is in an old farm house, you can get in thru the side door off parking area and catch a glimpse of kitchen as you go towards the hostess station. The bar is small. But well stocked. The chef/owner is Austrian but serves delicious recipes from many areas, not just Austrian/German. We stopped the first evening, having checked their website to ensure they'd be open, but when we got there the chef said they were closed. So we came back the following evening and are glad we did. Maybe the web had a glitch, but you might want to call ahead if you're considering eating at Country Man's on a summer week night. This meal was one of the highlights of our meals in Vermont

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We love this restaurant and the German food. Sauerbraten is my favorite. We live in the area and try to eat here whenever we go to Rutland (which is just down the road). The only negative is the service is slow. It appears that the way food is served in a very methodical method is intentional since it happens every time we eat here and by each server. So, we speed things along by requesting to place our order quickly. Then, we relax and enjoy the food. Otherwise, we become impatient and annoyed.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This restaurant is located in an old farm house just off Highway 4 near the Best Western. The building itself makes for an interesting atmosphere. With its focus on Austrian and German food, it offers a selection of good German beers. The oyster appetizers were excellent as were the salmon & shrimp special and crab cakes with king crab on top entrées. The only negative was that service was a bit slow.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband loves German Food. This restaurant was recommended by a previous chef who worked their and owns a Mexican restaurant now. Been 2 years to get over there to try it. It was well worth the 1 3/4 hour trip. Service was outstanding, atmosphere was very warm and cozy on a cold winter night and the food is beyond describing how fabulous it was. Will definetly make the long trip again.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Visited Rutland Vermont with family and friends this past weekend. This restaurant was recommended by locals and we were all very pleased! Austrian
food was wonderful, service was good with a great atmosphere. Prices were a little high but this is ski season in Vermont!