“Great food and beautiful property!”

Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Mendon
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We visited the Red Clover Restaurant on a recommendation from towns people in Rutland. Excellent choice! The property was beautiful and we loved the Tavern section of the restaurant. Many windows looking out into the woods. The fireplace was not lit due to the season, but there was still a very cozy atmosphere. Our meals exceeded our expectations. The dates appetizer was so delicious! Very friendly staff. Tracy recommended the venison, and it was better than I've had anywhere else. The bourbon ice cream was the perfect finish for a wonderful meal. Chef Colin came out and introduced himself to the diners. Nice touch. We would highly recommend The Red Clover Restaurant!

1  Thank Kelley P

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently visited the Red Clover Inn where we enjoyed a very high quality meal presented well in a nice atmosphere.

Unfortunately, we also elected the Wine Parings options for an additional $25 per person: don't bother. Three of us elected the option, and we each chose different menus, but we were all offered the same wines for each course no matter what each of us had selected, and there was precious little information about how the wines selected actually paired with the selected food.

If you go I suggest you order your own wines per person by the glass selecting choices based on your food. You'll spend the same amount of money, probably receive more wine, and it will actually be chosen according to the food you are tasting.

Another option offered is the Chef's Choice which seemed intriguing, but when I was served an incorrect order, magically this incorrect entree became the chef's choice for one of my companions. That was a little weird.

Overall, I would recommend the Red Clover Inn for an excellent dining option, but stay away from the Wine Pairing and Chef's Choice options, and make sure the waiter has taken your order correctly.

1  Thank J_Hornblower
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Looking for an interesting dinner experience while on a ski vacation in the Killington, VT area, we chose the Chef's Choice 3 course dinner and were each served 3 different choices... which allowed for sharing / enjoying a variety of selections. The atmosphere (in the least formal dining area, with a lovely crackling fire) was inviting while not stuffy, service was attentive and charming, and each course had a subtle, unexpected twist, delicious and was visually appealing. We splurged on wine, but the meals were a great value and a lovely experience. We definately plan on returning.

1  Thank Eva B
Reviewed 17 February 2014

What started off rocky was surely compensated for during the rest of our stay! We got to the Inn a little before check-in in the middle of a snow storm. They had not plowed, making parking difficult and necessitating a few trips to our car in blizzard conditions. We were hungry and in need of a rest room after a long drive so we were crabby to begin with. Our Innkeeper, Laura, immediately tried everything she could to help us out, shoveling the walk, carrying our gear, and, in general, being so good-natured and accommodating it was hard to feel inconvenienced-or crabby!
After settling in, we relaxed by the fire, talked with other quests and felt very much at home. It was Valentine's Day and we had reservations for dinner at the Inn. Our meal was wonderfully prepared--scallops that were tasty and a home-made gnocchi that was to die for! Our chocolate flourless torte for dessert was accompanied by salted caramel ice cream. It was fantastic! After dinner, we had drinks at the bar with Ryan, who was friendly and accommodating to the nth degree. We discovered we were from the same home town.
After a full evening, we slept in a very comfortable bed and woke to coffee and a full breakfast. The chef was very willing to accommodate my vegetarian requests. Then…Innkeeper, Charlotte, made plans for us to take cross-country ski lessons at The Mountain Top Resort---where we had a blast all day (and, the next)! After a night out in Rutland for a change of scenery, we came back to the bar for drinks and again had a really warm, inviting experience with Bartender, Ryan. We met, Colin, the Chef, and chatted about life in Vermont, music, Bob Dylan, family, food...
We had dinner at the Inn on our third night there and it exceeded our expectations. My husband had a filet mignon prepared to perfection and I had spring rolls, salad, soup…all wonderful and served with a variety of warm breads and olive oil. We were served coffee by the fire. After dinner, we again joined Ryan for a drink. Chef Colin came out of the kitchen and, as promised the night before, sang "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan, a capella with my husband. Their audience of 3 really enjoyed the show.
Overall, this place is quintessential Vermont. It is down home and friendly with a touch of elegance. There was just the right balance of privacy and sociability. The grounds are beautiful, the room was comfortable and clean and the common areas were welcoming and cozy…especially, sitting by the fire every night. The staff that we met-Laura, Charlotte, Jeff, Ryan and Colin-were all so friendly and accommodating. If there was a problem or request, they were on it!
We look forward to returning to the Red Clover again for our winter get-away.
Tips: for XCS Mountain Top was great. A visit to Woodstock is a 25 mile ride but worth the trip.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

On a cold winter evening my husband and I were looking for a special place for dinner. It didn't get better than the Red Clover Inn where we sat in front of the fire and enjoyed a wonderful dinner. My husband had the salmon and I had the pork schnitzel - both were great! Although I was comfortably full from my meal, I passed on dessert. My husband could not resist the salted caramel ice cream which he seemed to put down pretty quickly and raved about all the way home! If in the area - put the Red Clover Inn on your list of restaurants to visit!