“Bumblechick Food Official Review!”

Two Brothers Tavern
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Popular bar, restaurant and Lounge in the heart of Middlebury, featuring an award-winning menu of inspired Vermont Comfort fair and more than 24 beers on draught.
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Continuing the college tour with my son, we went to Two Brothers when we went to visit Middlebury College. Walking in to the restaurant we were both struck by the freezing temperature and what seemed to be a somewhat off-putting odor so we asked to sit outside.

The outside eating area is very small and not very welcoming and we were plagued by some flies but it was better than the inside.

Our server, Molly, was prompt, cheerful and informative. The menu had a bunch of standard fare for a pub but also offered some different items. The beer list was long but littered with multiple offerings from the same few breweries, which I don't particularly like.

I decided to get two appetizers while my son had lobster mac and cheese. My dishes were a salad with micro greens, blue cheese, apples, nuts, etc and a ploughman's plate which had pesto chevre, a slab of cheddar, tomato, apple, a half baguette and some whole grain maple mustard.

Everything was solid...nothing was fantastic but nothing was bad either. My son loved his mac and cheese...I thought it was just okay though...not very creamy and unless you had a piece of lobster you didn't get the sense that there was an infusion of shellfish flavor. O also thought the lobster was overcooked.

The salad was very generous and the vinagrette was a good compliment to the ingredients. It was a little pricey though.

The ploughman's was, overall, very good though I would suggest a cheddar that has more aging as it didn't seem to stand up to the chevre. Still, it was a very good sized plate and I enjoyed it.

We split an apple crisp which was just okay...not crispy enough and it didn't have deep flavor.

Overall, we were satisfied and would go back but realize that while good there was also something just missing.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Except for the bland cheddar/ale soup, everything else was excellent! Highly recommend the pepper calamari. Great little tavern!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

It is always hard to fing a place where 5 people can find something that pleases, and this is the place. I had the portabello sandwich, fantastic, others had Salmon dinner, rave reviews, grilled chicken sandwich, only complaint was too much bacon (don't know who could complain about that), backed Mac and cheese, and meatloaf sandwich, something special there. Eat here and be impressed by the food, service and dollars on the roof.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We did not have the best culinary luck on our trip to Vermont, so finding the Two Brothers Tavern (a misnomer, the restaurant is separate, and lovely) first for dessert and later for dinner was quite a coup.

Service was attentive, and recovered nicely from a coffee issue at dessert, which is probably as impressive as having no problems at all. Did I mention dessert was awesome? I had an a la mode apple crisp, while the man indulged in a waffle berry bowl. Ahem... the next time we dined here we BOTH had the waffle bowl. It was amazing.

For our second visit, we had salmon and shepherd's pie, each of which were flavorful and excellent. Sorry, I forgot the photos of the dinner - too hungry to wait.

We would recommend this to anyone, and would definitely visit it again. With the Otter Creek Bakery, and the Vermont Folklife Center right there, this little stretch of street could give a visitor a lovely morning or afternoon, all-inclusive.