“A positive experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rhode Island
“A positive experience”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

lovely room...told us it would be small but I found it charming. Very clean. Helpful staff. snacks and drinks in the afternoon were lovely. For a fully booked hotel, it seemed a bit quiet. Two suggestions...do NOT allow smoking on the veranda. Very distasteful and drove us right out of there (to spend our money at another establishment). The breakfast buffet was quite lame. Like they hired a cook in 1942 and he's still there. NO fresh fruit (in JULY??) and mostly standard fare but cooked several hours ago. If you do not eat here, it is quite lovely.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Thank you for your nice comments about our Inn. I’ll be sure to pass on your “Very Clean” note to our wonderful housekeeping staff – they’ll appreciate it. I also thank you for pointing out the fact that the smoking area that we have designated, on the porch, can be problematic. This is something that we will address. Also, I’m sorry that you found the breakfast buffet not to your liking. With a busy breakfast, it can be a challenge sometimes to keep each item, such as the fresh fruit (which we certainly always have) well stocked on the buffet table, but we will strive to do better in the future. Thank you again for your suggestions and comments.

Geoff Conrad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Brockton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Our room was nice with a working air conditioner in the 100 degree heat. The breakfast buffet was delicious.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This Inn/hotel has a long history, but seems to now be a fading star. The porch and foyer in main Inn was pleasant enough. The service at breakfast was lacking (literally no one around + I had to wait several minutes then go back to the desk and ask them to go find some staff), the room just awful (with clogged toilet and ants on my toothbrush), and there were wifi internet issues the whole week. The convenient location at town center was probably the best feature of the whole place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
jeffcostello, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2011
Thank you for letting us know about the problems during your stay. You are correct that the Inn has a proud history and it is one we want to uphold and strengthen. There is no excuse for the condition of your room as you described and certainly staffing and internet issues will be addressed as well. We apologize to you and hope you give us another chance. Jeff, General Manager
BROOKLYN
Reviewed 4 July 2011

As a previous reviewer stated, the annex is essential a cheap motel behind the b and b that isn't very cheap. Very damp, smelled of stale cigarette smoke. We stayed because we were able to get a pet friendly room but unless you have to stay here I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We do limit pets to the annex units, which were constructed in the 1960’s, versus the 1800’s for the Main Inn and the Porter Mansion. We did recently install new carpeting, new bathroom flooring and fixtures, as well as new mattresses and bedspreads, in all of the annex units. We strive to keep the rooms clean and fresh, and we sincerely hope that you give us another chance to experience the Inn, whether it be the annex or the historic Inn. We are confident that we will not let you down. Jeff, General Manager
Ohio
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed at Middlebury Inn while in town for a wedding. We actually chose the Middlebury Inn over some other hotels because we wanted the bed and breakfast experience. We stayed in the courtyard annex which we assumed was just an extension of the bed and breakfast, however, we were very disappointed to discover we had paid a similar price to rooms in the main building but got stuck in a cheap motel room. The decor was old, but not in a cute bed and breakfast way and the view out the window was a scary broken down concrete building. The carpet and entire room was damp and musty smelling so we had to wear shoes the entire time. The main house at the inn looked very nice so just make sure you don't get put in the courtyard annex!!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your post. Damp or poor smelling rooms are not acceptable to us and we promise to do better. We have made numerous improvements to the Inn, including new carpet in the annex rooms. We will continue to make improvements not just to the physical plant but to the level of service which our guests expect and deserve. We hope that you come visit us again and welcome any additional feedback that you would like to share. --Jeff, General Manager
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Middlebury is a lovely small town to visit with nice shopping but I suspect many visitors come for reasons related to Middlebury College which is adjacent to the town.

The good: The Inn is right in the cute downtown. I walked about 4 blocks down the main street and picked up fabulous coffee and freshly made pastry for breakfast at Otter Creek Bakery. My daughter and I had lunch at "51" on that same main streat about 2 blocks away and it was also quite good with an interesting menu. At the Inn, I was given a "luxury room" in the Porter Mansion part of the inn, which was a very large room with sitting area and old-fashioned bedspread and quaint sparkling clean bathroom. The bed was very comfortable with nice padding and I slept great. There was an individual heating/cooling unit in the room which I turned on and found to be pretty quiet on A/C mode. Since it was a balmy June night, I chose to eat dinner on the veranda in the Inn's pub and really enjoyed the meal, It was a reasonably priced menu with casual and "fancier" food, with a goal of using local ingredients. My swordfish provencal was excellent and plenty to eat. Small but good wine choices also. Service was friendly and excellent.

The bad: Very little bad. I thought the room was pricey ($182 with AAA discount) as I am used to deep discounts on hotels on Priceline (name my own price), but overall, I decided that it was a lovely evening and probably worth the overall experience. There is a motel style section in the back of the inn that may be priced cheaper but the Inn was very full on my night (they said with wedding parties) and I booked at the last minute so I probably missed the opportunity to save money. I don't blame the hotel for that.

The one little point I suggested to them on their suggestion form is to trim and weed the flower beds as they make the hotel look more shabby than it should. But mostly I say to them "Keep up the good work!"

Room Tip: Really enjoyed my stay at Middlebury Inn