“Charming and historic”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Connecticut
“Charming and historic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed at the Middlebury Inn for one night on a brief business trip in November. I was pleasantly surprised on check-in to learn that I had been upgraded to one of the hotel's suites. While my co-workers commented on the small sizes of their rooms, mine was very large and spacious. Actually, it consisted of two rooms, each with its own bathroom. The smaller room, without the bed was kind of like a narrow sitting room with couch and TV. On my trip I certainly didn't have any use for it and I found myself trying to imagine if I would use it on any type of trip. In any case, it was nice to have so much space. The hotel is obviously old, so you need to accept the fact that the floor creaks and there aren't many square corners, so things may look like they don't fit together so well. Also, minor things might not be where you expect, such as light switches (which I fumbled around for 2 or 3 minutes in the dark to find). But, overall, I thought the decorating was well done. The one thing I did not like about the room was the heating. Both rooms had radiators and window mounted heating/air conditioning units. Both units were cranked up as high as they would go on heating when I arrived, and my room must have been 80 degrees. The noise level of the units was also quite loud and eventually I just had to turn them off.

The location of the hotel seems ideal. While our stay was brief, we found plenty of restaurants to choose from just a short walk from the hotel. Once you're there, you really don't even need your car to enjoy the downtown area. It's nice to check out the downstairs lobby, which is well decorated and has some impressive old pictures of the hotel and local area.

We only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. There were not many people at the hotel at that time, so they did not set up a buffet. The menu had plenty to pick from and all my co-workers seemed to enjoy what they ordered. The price was quite reasonable at about $10-12 for a full breakfast.

For what limited conversation I had with them, the staff were courteous and friendly. The room preparation and maid service were spotless. I definitely would like to revisit this hotel sometime when I have some more leisure time.

Room Tip: The main hotel seems nicer than the building in back.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Creaking floors seems to be a comment that is getting alot of use lately and although we try to remediate this 'feature', it's not always successful. I guess I've become used to it, but through our guest's ears, I'm starting to think we need to address this.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the upgraded room, however. As part of our 'HUG' program, we always upgrade a number of reservations each night when availability allows. Thank you for your detailed comments - I appreciate the thought that went into it.

Geoff Conrad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Oxford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

Found this hotel through TA reviews and it was a good choice. Charming architecture, nice big bedrooms, very helpful staff. Decent food in the restaurant. It's a 5 minute drive to Middlebury College or you could walk.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JudyOxford_England
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
We are located overlooking the Green in Middlebury and we couldn't be more convenient to both downtown and the beautiful Middlebury College campus. The college was founded in 1800 and our Inn dates to 1827 so we have a long history together. I'm happy you made the connection through Trip Advisor and thank you for your nice comments.

Sintra, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Very friendly personnel. Lovely old hotel with accommodations for three senior women at a very reasonable rate. Played cards in the lobby and they gave us recommendations for a late-night snack. Excellent buffet breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
All the way from Portugal to our corner of Vermont! I'm happy that you found our nice old Inn a pleasant place to stop over and I appreciate you're nice comments. I hope we gave you a packet of our Middlebury Inn Playing Cards.

Rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Just returned from a quick stay at the Middlebury Inn in VT. Had never been to the area before. Loved the historic building, front desk staff was very welcoming, location was perfect. Walking distance to the main street of shops and the village. We stayed in the main Inn. The rooms were what you'd expect for a building of that age... 'charming' but not modern. Bed and Bath were clean and comfortable. Room got a little chilly at night (I liked it!). Seemed like it might be quite chilly later in the season. Would definitely go back and especially for a fall visit to the area and town. It looked like a great spot to have a Thanksgiving getaway.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlanphere
Charm and History are our middle names. We're far from a cookie cutter hotel chain and that's why many of our guests keep coming back and I hope you'll do the same. You're correct that fall is special in Vermont and although we call November 'stick season', Thanksgiving can be a comfortable and traditional time of year to experience all that we offer. Thank you.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is an Inn where it is best visited as part of another reason to be visiting the area as opposed to its own destination. It is comfortable with nice features such as afternoon tea and a friendly accomodating staff. The rooms are basic as are the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Well, I'll take comfort that you found the Inn staff pleasant and the Tea enjoyable. I'd like to think that we're a little more than a 'basic' facility but appreciate the fact that you and your family stayed with us and hope you'll return for another stay.

Manchester Center, VT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

We stayed here for a night - our second visit. The lobby was warm and welcoming with tea, coffee, cookies, scones sitting out - nice touch. It was very nicely decorated. Our room; however, was a different story. We stayed in the main building, and our room was tiny. The pipe running down the wall had peeling insulation. We definitely could have used a desk in there as well - unusual since many people bring their laptop these days. When I went to dry my hair, the dryer was broken. At this point, I was just ready to leave. I will say that the staff was very nice, but I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Being an historic Inn built over 185 years ago, there are a number of room layouts and sizes in the main building and some, as you have discovered, are on the smaller side and can't acommodate a desk. Your other comments have been addressed and again thank you for taking the time.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

We spent two nights here in late October and thoroughly enjoyed the inn and the area. Very pleasant staff personnel and very comfortable rooms, at least in the main inn. We had one dinner and two breakfasts, and all of the offerings were fresh and of good quality. We would not hesitate to stay here again if in the area. It is certainly one of the best B&B's in the wonderful state of Vermont. A visit and a tour (if open) to the Morgan Horse farm is highly recommended, if you have any interest in the history of the only truly American horse breed.

Room Tip: We would only stay in the main inn: the annexes serve specific purposes (pets, etc) and may be less...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Boscobel28
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Besides your welcome comments, I appreciate you pointing out one of the best local sites in the Middlebury Area - the UVM Morgan Horse Farm. Truly a wonderful experience whether you have an interest in the Morgan Horse or just want a pleasant visit to a beautiful working horse farm and the pleasure of watching people do what they love. Thank you for visiting and thank you again for your nice comments.

Geoff Conrad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#2 of 11 in Middlebury
Greystone Motel
Greystone Motel
#3 of 3 in Middlebury

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!