“A cut above modern cookie-cutter”
Review of Middlebury Inn

Middlebury Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Middlebury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Yes it's older. Yes the rooms, retrofitted with modern amenities, are a little disjointed because of it. But I would much rather stay in a place like this than most of the newer, always-smelling-of-chlorine, people boxes. It has charm and it has a friendly staff and it has a great location. We also had a terrific meal in the dining room. Breakfast might be the one mark against; it was OK but it should have been special. Got a much better, cooked-to-order breakfast at the very friendly diner across the street.

Room Tip: Street side room was a little noisy as it is right on a major state route...but it's Vermont, it...
1  Thank Clarke T
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

Cookie cutter, people boxes - I like that. Sometimes I wish we had a pool on site, but there is that ubiquitous chlorine smell that comes with it (we do have pool privileges nearby).

I'm sorry our breakfast buffet didn't measure up to your expectations - I hope you were offered a menu in addition to the buffet, but am guessing that didn't happen. Some people may be surprised that breakfast is one of the more difficult meals to prepare to everyone's satisfaction, but I believe that to be true. And I diner should get it right! Thanks for your thoughts.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night while travelling. This is a hotel from another era but the rooms have been updated nicely. The restaurant on site is very nice and the food selections were about perfect from our perspective. Pricing was reasonable all around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

We don't hide our age - in fact we talk about it all the time (unlike my wife). It's a fact and sometimes we struggle with aspects of an old, old building, but we're proud of what we have done and I'm particularly proud of how my staff makes the most of it. I also liked your comment about our menu - the chef will be happy to hear that. Thanks for commenting.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Perhaps I had expected too much from this historic inn in a historic city. We stayed in a courtyard annex room. It did have two large beds, a couch, a desk, but the room seemed too small for all this furniture and there was hardly room to walk. However, please accept my caveat here that there were four of us in the room, 3 adults & a child. The most unpleasant issue for us was that the toilet stopped working. We told the front desk and someone arrived fairly quickly to work on it. Unfortunately, after he left, it worked once, then stopped again! We had dinner in the restaurant, which, again, left us singularly unimpressed. The waitress was very friendly, but seemed to have too many customers, so service was slow (we had to wait too long for the second glass of wine ordered). Perhaps our experience would have been nicer if we had sat outdoors. The breakfast was an extra charge. The buffet was only adequate. The price we paid for one night was too high for the accommodation we received.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philomus
Geoff C, General Manager at Middlebury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay. We were able to get your toilet working better after you left with some more intensive work than we were able to do while you were staying here. Again, please accept my apologies but it seems like we left you underwhelmed in other areas as well. There will always be a blip or two in any hotel stay and it's how we react and remedy the situation that counts. It sounds like my staff tried their best, but fell a little short. I hope you'll give us another opportunity if you are ever in the area again, but thanks for letting me know of your concerns.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at the Middlebury inn. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful.

We stayed in a courtyard annex room. It had two beds, a large tv, a couch, a desk, a refrigerator, a nice size bathroom, a closet, an ironing board, and a blow dryer. Extra pillows inside closet. Courtyard is super pretty, as well as the inn itself. It's an old inn and some of the bad reviews on here are because people want an "updated" hotel. This inn has tons of historical character.

Special shout out to Gloria at the bar for keeping our drinks flowing after ciderbration. Very sweet and easy to talk to. She also taught us quite a bit about middlebury.

The location is awesome. Centrally located in middlebury Vermont. Easy to take a stroll around town. Try some of the maple products if you've never been to Vermont before. We stopped at a local store and purchased maple fudge. Behind some of the shops is a lovely waterfall. You can walk over a bridge down there or have coffee by the water.

Don't forget to check out the brand new woodchuck cidery. It's about 3 miles from the inn. I will be back to Vermont. Loved it and really wished I had more time there.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amber H

We all had fun with our very own Woodchuck Hard Cider 'Ciderbration' last month and we're vary proud that they have built a brand new 'Cidery' here in Middlbury VT. It sound like you had a great time and I'll be sure to pass along kudos to Gloria, our long term Bartender/Host in Morgan's Tavern.
One of the fun things to do when visiting Middlebury is to try some of our local products, whether it's Hard Cider, Cabot Cheese, many Maple products or some local Brews from Otter Creek or Drop-In Brewery. Look on our website soon for more information about the new Tasting Trail here in Middlebury and of course Woodchuck Hard Cider.

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

On an Adventure Cycling tour 14 of us spent two nights. From our afternoon refreshments on the porch to breakfast in the dinning room we had a great time. The rooms are old, well kept and very roomy with great bathrooms And our end of group dinner was outstanding
This is a very bike friendly location, With a locked storage area for our bikes.
We hope to return next year
Ride on !

Stayed: August 2014

And here's another feature of the Middlebury Inn and the Champlain Valley that is rarely mentioned - we're a cyclists dream come true. Whether you're a novice or expert, there is a picturesque route through our beautiful valley nestled between Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains. And after you return to the Inn, you can lock up your bike and enjoy our complimentary Afternoon Tea or Dinner in Morgan's Tavern. And I don't just mean Bicycles, but also Motorcycles.

Visit our website for more specific information. And thanks to you and Adventure Cycling Tours for staying here.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is very centrally located in Middlebury, with good parking. From the exterior, it's a classic brick Federal, with nice lines and proportions. We stayed in the main house (room 232) for one night. Front desk service was efficient, friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean and reasonably spacious, and even had a small walk-in closet. Certain aspects reflect the age of the hotel -- the bathroom floor was a little slanted, a little road noise since it's right on Rt. 7, some creaks -- but nothing extreme. There are many pictures of the hotel at various points in its almost-200-year history to be seen on the walls. We enjoyed the brunch in the morning before departing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

One of the nice features of the Middlebury Inn that is rarely mentioned - Walk-In Closets in almost all of our rooms - with lights! Thanks for noticing. Just one of the special features from a bygone age that only an historic property will have. By the way, we're members of Historic Hotels of America which is a Preferred Hotel brand - a collection of some fabulous properties throughout the country.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A beautiful historic hotel in a beautiful situation in the centre of Middlebury.
I cannot think of anything negative to say about it other than I wish I had booked a couple of days longer as it was absolutely perfect.
We were located in the main house (room 239) and for an old hotel I was expecting squeaky and old furniture with soft mattresses - the rooms were well furnished with excellent quality mattresses and suprisingly excellent wifi.
There was ample parking at the back of the hotel.
Breakfast was buffet style - constantly being replenished with excellent quality and delicious dishes.
All the staff were lovely and helpful.
So a wonderful place to visit and in an excellent location for exploring all that the beautiful Vermont has to offer - just plan on staying more than 2 days there!

Room Tip: Patricia on the front desk is very helpful at describing the many different types of room on offer a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Patricia has been with us for quite awhile and is very good at what she does - I'll make sure to pass along your compliments. My hard working employees are always thrilled to be mentioned on Trip Advisor! We often find that visitors to our picturesque town of Middlebury wish they could stay a little longer and what better way to enjoy our beautiful corner of Vermont than at the historic Middlebury Inn. Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to comment.

Geoff Conrad

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#3 of 3 in Middlebury
Basin Harbor
Basin Harbor
#1 of 1 in Vergennes

Been to Middlebury Inn? Share your experiences!