“Birthday desserts hit the spot”

51 Main at the Bridge
Ranked #18 of 44 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Middlebury, Vermont
“Birthday desserts hit the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My best friends and I took our friends with April birthdays here for dessert. The group ordered either brownie sundaes, cookie sundaes, or simply ice cream with a rich fudge sauce, all of which were excellent. Although presented with large portions, we each licked (literally in the case of some) our plates clean and all of us commented on how delicious our food was. A group of Middlebury students, we have a fondness for 51 main that may excuse some of its flaws, such as slow service, missing items from the menu (due to a freezer malfunction), and an overall aura that there is a certain lack of professionalism. That being said, it is an excellent spot for cocktails (if you are 21) or dessert. I cannot attest to the food, only that the menu appears to be creative if not slightly cliche (how many ways can you ostentatiously dress up a grass fed burger?). Anyway it is a lovely place for a sweet celebration with friends and I have no doubt that we will return many times.

Visited April 2014

Troy, Michigan
“Chicago Blues and P'can Pie ...yes, here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had already had dinner, but stopped by here after hearing the blues guitar wailing. Great blues and the pecan pie is possibly the best I've ever had including many from the South. Nice vibe.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 1Rahhalatun
Burlington, Vermont
“New restaurant in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Funky atmosphere, live music, gluten free options on the menu. My husband brought me here to have a nice dinner & listen to some live blues. Good local band and it suited the restaurant and crowd. I enjoyed my meal & was glad to see that there were many gluten free options on the menu.

• Visited October 2013
Lebanon, PA
“A rainy night in November with venison stew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Last night I stopped in for the first time, and my first time in Middlebury, Vermont, to get a good beer and perhaps a meal. What a fine 51 Main turned out to be. The bartender suggested I try the special for the evening, the chef's venison stew. What an amazing dish. It was served with plenty of salad and a nice baguette which was an essential part of the meal, to enjoy the savory sauce that came with the stew.

Absolutely a delightful restaurant with excellent beer on tap.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank SteveVegoe
Woking, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Excellent value for money and portions not too big. Staff attentive but not intrusive. Nice atmosphere.

Visited September 2013