“I don't like horses...”

UVM Morgan Horse Farm
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Middlebury
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I don't dislike them either, I have little feelings either way--though I dislike when horses are bred to the point of fragility, like thoroughbreds.

So the Morgan Horse Farm was actually fairly pleasant. The Morgan is an American breed noted for its compact size and stamina and versatility. The UMV people have recently opened a small Morgan museum in the Middlebury city center which we visited yesterday, and I'd recommend going there first as it's a great orientation. Then again, you can get a great orientation at the farm.

So we paid our $10 admission. The place was understaffed b/c most were away at a show. I wandered about, ad,admiring the stallions and mares in their stalls in the main barn and a mare and her foal in the big paddock. Then I sat about on their lawn, pausing briefly to admire the cemetary for past outstanding Morgans up on the hillock. My wife wandered more extensively through back barns and stables, and noted that she felt sorry for the horses--they get one year in a miserable foal paddock, then they're kept in stalls for all but 30 to 90 minutes 5-6 days a week so they won't get distracted and thus harder to train.

My attitude toward animals is that we humans don't need to exploit them like we once did--but they're domesticated and so we need to care for them humanely. I don't consider these Morgans abused per se, tho' it would perhaps be nice if they were given more fresh air and a little sunshine. But I came away thinking that if I ever wanted a horse, I'd get a Morgan.

1  Thank TR26
"vermont"
in 6 reviews
"picnic"

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Admittedly I am a Morgan horse lover, but this farm is well worth the trip. I have visited it several times over the years and have never been disappointed. I love seeing the new foals and the yearlings. Oftentimes, horses are being trained and you are welcome to watch. The staff is willing to chat with you and share their knowledge. The only downside I can think of is that I never won a foal in their yearly raffle and I have bought a LOT of tickets!!!

2  Thank Speedyhorse
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were hiking in the area and came across Morgan Horse Farm. Since they weren't officially open yet they told us to wander around as we pleased. It was a perfect time since the horses had just given birth. Some even that day. If your a horse lover add this to your places to visit.

1  Thank Kathleen L
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is worth a stop. These folks are clearly very proud of their farm, their heritage, and their horses. The farm itself is in a stunning location- rolling Vermont farmlands, well tended historical barns, and the horses are lovely.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We drove from Stowe to see this facility. It is a beautiful old building in lovely grounds. Its just $5. There are restrooms and cold drinks available, and you get taken on a tour by one of the staff. The person who took us just loved her job and the horses.
There is not that much to see, but the story of the Morgan Horse, with the video they show you, is interesting enough. We went in September, and the foals were bigger of course, but none the less cute. You are allowed to walk freely in many areas, and whilst the staff will talk, you are aware that it is very much a working facility, not a tourist attraction.
My own advice would be that they maybe have just one tour each morning and each afternoon, and include a small demonstration of a Morgan Horse strutting its stuff. It was a great disappointment to me that I didn't get to see this. If you are not interested in horses its not the place for you.