“If you enjoy eating outdoors...”
Review of The Lobby

The Lobby
Ranked #10 of 47 Restaurants in Middlebury
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The patio at The Lobby overlooks Otter Creek in Middlebury.... Nothing better than enjoying a beer and dinner watching the water flow by below..... Food good and service excellent..... Striving to please as a new restaurant in the area, they immediately responded to a minor criticism with a free dessert.... Glad we went and look forward to a return visit!

1  Thank bobpatti

Reviewed 21 June 2014

For our last dinner in Middlebury, we wanted to find an open-air patio along the historic Otter Creek. Happily, this location was ready to accommodate us.

The "lobby" theme here is supported by several movie-theater seats arranged at group tables near the entrance. Other than that, it's a bright, clean, modern facility; the patio overlooking the river (it's a creek further upstream) is comfortable. I'm confident that you'll find the service here friendly, competent and attentive--we found nothing less wherever we stopped in Vermont.

I started out with a house cocktain, a moonshine Manhattan of cherry 'shine and sweet vermouth. Now, I'm not a fan of moonshine--unless you age it in a barrel so it picks up some finished whisky flavors, in which case it's not moonshine anymore--and so I personally didn't like this drink, it reminded me of eating directly from the jar of red cherries. I followed it with a tradiional Manhattan and I can attest they did a proper job on it.

My wife decided that her appetite was for appetizers, so she ordered sauteed escargot and the ploughman's platter (which, the menu notes, is an appetizer for two), and I got to sample generously from her plates. The escargot were proper; it's hard to find good escargot! The platter was quite enjoyable, with some very tasty lamb sausage, genuine mild Vermont cheddar, and some rustic pate that required slicing, not spreading.

I went for a filet mignon. It arrived medium--not the medium rare I'd requested--but I' willing to tolerate one point of difference in my steak, so I went for it. It was crusted with horseradish and mustard, yielding a quite peppery finish which I enjoyed. It came with roasted baby potatoes, which in this case included some white, red, and purple--the purple were well caramelized and pleasing, the reds and whites a little underdone; I've not tried roasting mixed spuds, but maybe they cook at different rates due to the darker color taking on more heat? The plate was finished with a cornmeal-crusted tomato slice, a nice bit of variety.

So there was minor flaws in the food, but in general I was quite happy to spend my time and money here.

1  Thank TR26
Reviewed 1 June 2014

As parents of a recent Middlebury College graduate, we have dined at this location over the last four years. Graduation night was our first dinner in the new restaurant since they opened this year. It is nice, casual dining. We were unable to be seated outside or next to window but our upstairs perch allowed a bit of a view. The menu choices were interesting and unusual but there seemed to be something for everyone. The shared appetizer of graham cracker crusted calamari garnered oohs and aahs. For a graduation weekend dinner, we were not rushed - service was friendly and good.

Regarding another reviewers comments about gender specific versus gender neutral restrooms...gender specific restrooms will make me WANT to frequent a business...there are plenty of gender neutral restrooms in Middlebury!

1  Thank A J
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant on Otter Creek in Middlebury is fairly new. Before it became The Lobby, it was Jackson's on the River. Before that it was Tulley & Marie's and before that it was Woody's. Before that it was the Soup Bowl and before that it was a bakery. Most of these predecessors were successful and I suspect this place will do very well.

We stopped in for dinner with 4 adults and 2 sub-adults and between us, we had: a Classic Burger, a Venison Burger, 2 Black Bean Burgers, a Boar Ravioli, a BLT Salad, and a Smoked Salad. I had the latter salad and it was delicious. Everyone else was happy with their meal and everything was devoured, no leftovers.

This is a delightful addition to was passes for a Middlebury scene. I've been to all of the previous iterations at this location and the food is as good as the best of them, and the interior decor is far and away the best.

1  Thank Jdeppman
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Unlike other restaurants with the same owner, this one has a different atmosphere. There is a good bar, dark walls--almost nightclubby atmosphere--and an outdoor deck fronting on the river we haven't yet had the weather to experience. Service is friendly. The menu is pub food but with a difference, a very welcome difference, some experiments with flavors. It's still relatively new, so time will tell how things even out. But I would happily visit again.

1  Thank NORNORKEN