“Just ok”

Blue Spruce Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Middlebury B&B and Inns
“Just ok”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Its cheap, but could be cleaner. There is disrepair and stains Greystone and sugar house looked cleaner outside and are closer to the fair. That's why we went. If you need a place to crash for one night it will do.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Chairs were stained beyond belief. I would not sit on them. Drawers to put your clothes in were broken. Bathroom was shabby, but otherwise clean. Bed was not comfortable, and thermostat did not function properly. Room appeared to be freshly vacuumed, but smelled like a burned out vacuum. Breakfast was Coffee and Sunny D. Gazebo had a dog turd on the floor. Good grief!

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple of rooms in advance. One of them has bound to be less gross than the others.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PFandtheFlyers

Travellers are raving about these Middlebury hotels

Farmington, Michigan
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Bedding was dirty and towels were missing. I was reluctantly given new sheets and towels when I requested them. Some of the replacement bedding was dirtier than what was already on the bed. The place is just plain dirty and gross.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bill c
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Traveling to look at the college with my daughter, I needed a place to spend the night while my daughter stayed on campus. It was a quick trip so I didn't want to spend a lot of money. It was disappointing to realize $70 was going to be the least I could spend and that it would be for a room in an old motel. My room was clean though threadbare and had a carpet that should have been replaced in 1990. It was depressing to have to spend that much for a room with such old and tired furnishings, bathroom and decor. I would have been fine if I had spent half of what I did.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Infr
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Good god this place was terrible. The room was filthy, the floors weren't vacuumed, the shower wasn't cleaned, and nothing had been dusted. The door didn't fit the frame and didn't lock correctly so anyone could just open and come in. The sheets were dingy and it smelled like someone had been smoking in the room for at least 40 years. The clientele was super sketchy. As we were packing up our things the next morning, to our horror we noticed that there were blood stains on the mattress and bugs in our luggage. We wouldn't send our worst enemy here.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BunRab11
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2012

On a recent Saturday night in late July I came to Middlebury to visit some people. Hotels were busy and therefore expensive. The Blue Spruce said they only had a "cabin" available. I stayed because i was too exhausted to just sleep in my car. Where to begin?

1. On entering, I noticed the top screen of the screen door was torn and the bottom one was missing altogether. This was also the case with the other "cabins".
2. The cabin was "non-smoking". The cabin also stank of old smoke. Worse than a bar in fact. They did have the windows open, but this just mixed the smell with the manure from the neighboring farm, creating an all-the-more otherworldly stench.
3. The sheets were "thread-bare". I now know what this means because the sheets had holes in them and clearly worn areas where there will shortly be more holes.
4. The cover sheets were nasty. I just took them off and put them on the floor.
5. The rug looked nasty and perhaps moldy. I kept my sandals on when walking.
6. The bathroom is actually fine.
7. The place is not necessarily dirty (save perhaps for the bed's cover sheets), just awful and worn-out. I kept thinking how buying new curtains, sheets, blankets, a quick painting, and a new rug, would make the place fine. In the meantime it's like the set of the 1980s TV series "Roseanne", if they kept using the same rug, sheets, curtains, etc... through until today (while smoking).
8. In the morning I made a reservation at the nearby Greystone Motel. This is 100% better and seems terrifically luxurious after the Blue Spruce.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the cabin.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank McJasper99
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Similar to greystone motel.
Rooms were clean.
Good price.
I wish they gave complementary toiletries like greystone motel.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank traveltrips958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlebury
Courtyard Middlebury
#1 of 1 in Ripton
Inn on the Green
Inn on the Green
#2 of 11 in Middlebury

Been to Blue Spruce Motel? Share your experiences!