“A lovely dining experience”

Jessica's at Swift House Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Jessica's at Swift House Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Middlebury
Price range: US$16 - US$32
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 7
Description: A meal at Jessica's Restaurant is always memorable. The recently updated dining room is a reflection of the casual comfort and style of this New England country inn. Jessica's Restaurant is located in the Swift House Inn in Middlebury, Vermont. Jessica's is just two blocks from downtown Middlebury, set in an 1814 stately home, surrounded by beautiful lawns and gardens. Jessica's casual atmosphere is the perfect place for an dinner for two, or a celebratory dinner for four to forty! Come early and enjoy our bar; Tom, with his more than 30 years of bartending experience, can fix you a cocktail or help you choose the right bottle of wine. We have won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for our wine list for six straight years! We also have local beers on tap including Switchback, from Southern Vermont; and two brews from Middlebury, Wolaver's Organic India Pale Ale and Otter Creek Seasona.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Jessica's is an excellent option when looking for a special restaurant in Middlebury (parent's weekend anyone). The service, albeit slow at times, is warm and accommodating and many menu items are truly excellent. The scallops, pan seared and seasonally paired with an appropriate sauce (butternut squash and candied pecans in the fall), are tender, buttery, and perfectly cooked. One is always given a choice of side, either rice pilaf or mashed potatoes, of which the rice pilaf is a wonderful option. Desserts like the maple creme brulee and banana bread pudding are fantastic, perfectly portioned and beautifully presented, not to mention delicious. In fact the bread pudding is so fantastic I would assert it may be the best in the area, velvety in texture and complemented by a buttery caramel sauce.
The only drawbacks to Jessica's is that the food, although not served in large portions, is generally rather heavy in nature. The creamy ravioli might be better replaced with an additional fish dish or lighter pasta option (an excellent pesto with grilled chicken might be interesting). All that being said, Jessica's is a lovely, well run establishment and always a reliable choice for a nice dinner out.

Recommended items:
pan seared scallops
maple creme brulee
banana bread pudding

1  Thank Madeline S

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We dined at the Swift House graduation weekend, another big night that can test a restaurant's mettle. I made the reservation 2 months prior, and confirmed the week before. We had a part y of 8 and were given a dining time of 5:30.
Of course a large party is hard to organize, especially if they haven't seen each other in a while. Our waitress immediately announced that our table would be "turning over" and we should be expeditious. This made my husband mad and put us under pressure to "get out". We ordered drinks, and when we asked some questions about the menu, the waitress again notified us that our table had a time limit, and we needed to get our orders in. This now became what I would consider unprofessional.
We therefore skipped appetizers and salads and went straight to the main course. After we had finished, dessert menus were brought. No offer for more wine when our bottle was finished. I guess we had eaten quickly enough to be able to order dessert, and we paid our bill with the mandatory 18% tip and left.
My suggestion would have been that the owner inform me at the time our reservation was made that it was a busy night, and did we mind a time limit ion the table, giving me the option then to take the table or pass on the experience. The way it was done was very rude and frankly ruined our enjoyment of the excellent food.
We all enjoyed our meals, but some of the sides listed on the menu never arrived, and the waitress didn't do more than a cursory check. I also thought the main dishes were much better in quality and execution than the desserts, so don't get one if you are full-or being hurried out of the restaurant.

1  Thank SnowyandSniggles
Vermont25, Owner at Jessica's at Swift House Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your comments on your dining experience. I apologize for our mistakes that evening. When you made the reservation I should have told you that we most likely would be using the table later that evening for other guests; however, the server should never have said this to you! It is not her job to do so, and it has never been our procedure to tell the guests that we are using the table again, or that they need to hurry, etc. I have discussed this with the servers and the dining room manager so that it does not happen again. Thank you for your feedback; it helps us to improve our service.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although we had read the great reviews, we were still amazed at the quality of food we ate. Everything we ate from the chicken liver w/ perfect toast points, to the maple glazed pork belly was done right. Our only complaint was that we were so full after our appetizers and main courses and had no room left to try the desserts. Next time!!!!

1  Thank AnnieS509
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My son and I ate dinner here while doing the college tour scene. The service was very good. Food was all enjoyable. The oysters were a very unique preparation which we would both would highly recommend. For those of you who enjoy wine. They have a great list of well priced wines. I am always happy when the restaurant markup is less than 100 percent. Job well done. Choose this place solely by trip advisor.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Hit it out of the park! This was my second wine dinner at Jessicas. The pairings were perfect and the proportions just right. What a WONDERFUL evening.