“Great stay”

Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Great stay this week at Phineas Swann. Outstanding accommodations and breakfast. The owners Darren and Lynn go out of their way to make sure you have a great stay. Beautiful town with some good restaurants and beautiful countryside.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My owners took me to the Phineas Swann this past week, and we had a blast. When do I ever get to go to a hotel where there's my very own bed waiting for me (loved the cushy bolster style - hint, hint Mom and Dad) plus my own swanky bowls to eat and drink out of AND a whole cookie jar full of treats all for me, me, ME!
My people said their beds were very comfortable too, and that the breakfast was excellent. They talked about visiting again, maybe in winter. That sounds great to me. I'll just curl up by the gas stove while they run around outside.
I think I could get to like this traveling thing!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zipper M
Darren D, Owner at Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We're glad our four-legged guests enjoy the Phineas Swann as much as our two-legged ones! We love pampering our dog guests - and their owners!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at this B&B for two nights, wish it could have been more! The food and accommodations were the very best I have ever experienced! The host and hostess (Darren & Lynne) the nicest people and most friendly!! Obviously I can not say enough about Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn!!! Love it!!!

Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We hope next time you'll get to stay longer than just two days!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We recently returned from our stay at the Phineas Swann and could not agree more with the previous reviews. Darren and Lynne are fantastic hosts making sure you are completely comfortable. They have excellent knowledge of the area providing you with interesting places to visit as well as some history on each of them. Breakfast was always delicious.
The location is excellent. There are so many things to explore in the area as well as very good restaurants nearby (some within walking distance, others within 5 miles). Or, if you are in the river house, simply sitting on the back porch relaxing to the sounds of the river is a excellent way to spend some time. If you are active, we highly recommend hiking to the top of Jay Peak. Fantastic views all around!
We had our two dogs with us while visiting and they were very good and welcoming of them.
Highly recommend visiting the Phineas Swann. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first floor of the River house. We highly recommend it. You are right on the river...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan M
Darren D, Owner at Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thanks for the kind review! We appreciate you pointing out what makes a B&B like ours better than staying at a resort, hotel or large inn -- it's the concierge-style personal service you get. Lynne & I always want to make sure our guests have a great time when they visit the Jay Peak-Montgomery area. We also appreciate you pointing out our efforts to locally-source all our food, including growing our own herbs and vegetables in Lynne's raised-bed gardens. Glad you enjoyed the Black Bear Suite and hope we see you again very soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Lynn and Darren are wonderful hosts and every detail of this " dog friendly" B &B is amazing. We came down to the area to see the greyhounds @ the rescue in St. Albans and stayed 2 nights in the terrier suite with our two schnauzers. Upon returning back to pick up our greyhound recently the little schnauzers were so excited as we were to be back ... they knew exactly where to go up the stairs right to the suite. The breakfasts are wonderful from eggs to waffles oatmeal different cereals fresh local bacon or sausage yogurt orange and grapefruit juices and as much coffee to get you going ! There are great local places to eat at night within walking distance. From beginning to end you really feel like you have had a great holiday and what better way to travel when you can bring your pets ... Looking forward to returning soon

Room Tip: We liked the size of the Terrier suite facing the front of the Inn. It was just the right size for u...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Darren D, Owner at Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Peter, thanks for pointing out one of the many little things we do to make everyone's stay at the Phineas better. We don't spread toxic chemicals on our lawns and plant beds that might end up making our four-legged friends sick. We do the same in the winter by making sure our ice-melt doesn't contain antifreeze or other chemicals that might sicken pets. We're glad your babies remember and look forward to our stay with us - and we can't wait until your new addition to the family comes too!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This Inn is truly a unique experience for us dog lovers. It's too good to be true! The day I arrived I was greeted warmly from Darren and given an over view of the property. I was also given some dinner suggestions in the area. I stayed with my two dogs in the Terrier suite was was so thoughtfully set up to accommodate both my needs as well as the dogs. I was really impressed by the tiled hallway and wall hooks to allow me a place to clean the dogs feet and slip off muddy shoes before entering the room. The breakfast the next day was out of this world. I will surely be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Darren D, Owner at Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Victoria, thanks for the great feedback! We're glad you noticed we try hard to think of every little detail that will make a guest's stay that much easier. With that in mind, we encourage guests to recommend little things that might make their stay even better! Even the smallest idea could be that one thing that turns a great stay into an awesome one!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We enjoyed a long weekend in the Black Bear suite here. I can't say enough good things about this place. Our suite on the river was a wonderful place to escape for a weekend. They made sure that our elderly, arthritic dog had the necessary amenities to be comfortable from arrival to departure. The hosts also told us the best place in the area to snowshoe; we had a wonderful day of hiking based on that recommendation. There are some great spots to eat dinner at within walking distance of the inn, and the owners are very helpful with recommendations. I can't give this spot higher accolades, and we can't wait to visit next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank n8OC
Darren D, Owner at Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Everyone thinks of Jay Peak and our area when it comes to skiing. What they miss is that northern Vermont is a National Geographic Geotourism Area, filled with hundreds of trails for snowshoeing, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, photographing wildlife. We're glad you got a chance to see our area at it's most beautiful, and hope you all come back to hang out by the Trout River again this summer!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery Center
#1 of 1 in Jay
Smugglers' Notch Resort
Smugglers' Notch Resort
#1 of 2 in Jeffersonville

Been to Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!