If you want to stay in a hotel in downtown Montpelier, Vermont, the Capital Plaza is about your only choice. Located right on the main drag, a few blocks from the state capitol, the location can't be beat.
Because of this, the hotel does not have to try very hard to attract or keep customers. The lack of effort shows. The staff is great, but the property needs a lot of work.
First of all, don't let the quaint canopied entry fool you. This is not a historic inn. Most of the hotel is a non-descript office building that has hotel rooms on some upper floors. In fact, if your room is in the east end of the building or if you park in back, you enter the hotel through the most depressing 1970s-era generic office building lobby imaginable.
The decor and condition of the rooms is dismal. Just for starters, in my room:
- Ugly yellow wallpaper peeling off the walls
- Dirty windows that don't open, with filthy grime covered storm windows keeping the equally filthy screens from being accessed. So you can open the windows a bit, but are just faced with a grimy storm window.
- Bathroom with relatively new marble counter but a sink faucet that was installed so far back that there is not room to get your hands under the tap.
- Ridiculously cheap, thin sheets that wouldn't be sturdy enough to use as a rag. Equally cheap and tiny bath towels.
- Flat screen TV but totally standard definition. No high def. The TV in my room stopped working on Day 2 of my stay. I understand now why it was unplugged when I checked in.
- Dust-covered cheap clock radio that was set to the wrong time.
- Oh yeah, and the bed was so worn out that it was kind of tilted to one side. I kept feeling like I was rolling out.
- Industrial (but not in a cool, retro way) acoustic tiles on the ceiling
There were a few bright spots. The hotel restaurant food is quite good and the staff, especially the restaurant staff, is very professional and friendly.
Someone else attending the same event I attended, had a suite which offers equally cheap decor with the exception of a large spa-like bathroom with a large shower, TV over the sink and high quality dual sinks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All the conveniences and location of a city hotel, with the charm of a VT country inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Capitol Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capitol Plaza Montpelier
- Capitol Plaza Hotel Montpelier