“Great Location. Rundown Property.”
Review of Capitol Plaza

Capitol Plaza
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Lake Placid, New York
“Great Location. Rundown Property.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

If you want to stay in a hotel in downtown Montpelier, Vermont, the Capital Plaza is about your only choice. Located right on the main drag, a few blocks from the state capitol, the location can't be beat.

Because of this, the hotel does not have to try very hard to attract or keep customers. The lack of effort shows. The staff is great, but the property needs a lot of work.

First of all, don't let the quaint canopied entry fool you. This is not a historic inn. Most of the hotel is a non-descript office building that has hotel rooms on some upper floors. In fact, if your room is in the east end of the building or if you park in back, you enter the hotel through the most depressing 1970s-era generic office building lobby imaginable.

The decor and condition of the rooms is dismal. Just for starters, in my room:
- Ugly yellow wallpaper peeling off the walls
- Dirty windows that don't open, with filthy grime covered storm windows keeping the equally filthy screens from being accessed. So you can open the windows a bit, but are just faced with a grimy storm window.
- Bathroom with relatively new marble counter but a sink faucet that was installed so far back that there is not room to get your hands under the tap.
- Ridiculously cheap, thin sheets that wouldn't be sturdy enough to use as a rag. Equally cheap and tiny bath towels.
- Flat screen TV but totally standard definition. No high def. The TV in my room stopped working on Day 2 of my stay. I understand now why it was unplugged when I checked in.
- Dust-covered cheap clock radio that was set to the wrong time.
- Oh yeah, and the bed was so worn out that it was kind of tilted to one side. I kept feeling like I was rolling out.
- Industrial (but not in a cool, retro way) acoustic tiles on the ceiling

There were a few bright spots. The hotel restaurant food is quite good and the staff, especially the restaurant staff, is very professional and friendly.

Someone else attending the same event I attended, had a suite which offers equally cheap decor with the exception of a large spa-like bathroom with a large shower, TV over the sink and high quality dual sinks.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the fitness center. It's on the second floor, west end and if anyone is ru...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank raku8
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear raku8,

Thank you for writing a review. I'm sorry that you thought our hotel was rundown and did not like our decor. The Capitol Plaza is a historic hotel and we've done constant renovations to every room, hallway and lobby. All of our sheets and towels are a high quality product and are updated to a new supply every six months. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff work very hard to provide a clean and comfortable room. The outside windows are cleaned on a semi-annual basis; this year, there is major road construction outside and the windows are taking a hit. We have called the window cleaner to come in again.

Although, I wish we could please everyone, I'm glad that our other guests disagree with your perception of our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I travel to Montpelier for business about 4 times a year and I make every effort to plan my trips around availability at the Capitol Plaza. It is a very comfortable, clean hotel. It is not part of a chain but don't let that deter you from staying here. The staff is wonderful and it is in a great location right in the center of Montpelier. There is a very good restaurant at the hotel and several others within walking distance. The hotel is generally booked when the state legislature is in session, the Capitol building is less than a block away. The hotel also has a shuttle service that will pick you up and take you to the train station. The fitness room is better than any of the chain hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Sometimes the aroma of steaks cooking in the restaurant can is noticeable in the rooms that face the...
Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed 20 July 2013

You can't beat the location. It's in the middle of everything. That trumped any other quibbles.

The room was a nice size, as was the bathroom. Beds were comfy. TV worked fine. WiFi Internet worked fine though it was annoying to log into.

Quibbles:
- Weird smell in hallway.
- Room was musty or slightly dog-smelly just on first arrival.
- Two card keys didn't work to get in to room on checkin (with lots of bags). Had to walk all the way back down to get keys. Didn't get apology.
- No free breakfast (though there's a coffee place at State and Main that's to die for).
- It was hot and sticky, so we needed AC all night. The window curtain covers AC (unit below the window) when it's closed. I discovered this when we were sweating in the middle of the night. It was a minor design flaw.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
alma
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The facilities are okay, but the staff has been very friendly and helpful. I had a lot of time on my hands and was trying to find things to do, how to catch the bus, etc... and they were so gracious. The housekeeping staff was also friendly and helpful. The waiter that brought up my breakfast was also very friendly. I guess the things that you hear about the snobbiness of the people in the north, doesn't apply here at all.

Room Tip: rooms on the back side of the hotel don't hear the local bell toll every hour on the hour.
1 Thank gtaylorAlma
Darlington, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in late March & loved it. My 6-yr-old still raves about their bacon! The room decor was eclectic, some old/generic, some new & nice. Great bed, sumptuous sheets & pillows, fab spa-like bathroom with cozy bathrobes, plenty of space & natural light. We have also stayed @ Montpelier Comfort Inn: similar price, but very cheap motel-like feel & experience. Zero character. Overall, we loved the Plaza!!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank amyb4320
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. Staff was friendly. Beds were super comfortable and the rooms were clean with nice bathroom amenities. Fridge, safe and robes in room were nice touches. Also has free wifi that was a decent speed. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the place to friends.

Green Features: I didn't notice any, which was disappointing as most businesses in Vermont seem to be very environmentally aware.
1 Thank Kelly M
Newport Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I am enrolled in the creative writing program at Vermont College of Fine Arts and have stayed at the property for my past three 10-day residencies. And I truly love the experience! The room is always clean and the beds made superbly comfortable. The restaurant serves mouth-watering Sunday brunches with variety of pastries and the room service is alway within 10-minutes wait period, not to mention how good the meals taste (french onion soup being my favorite). Most importantly, their staff managed to give a schoolmate and myself free daily rides to the college after the city's major taxi company had gone out of business this summer. The attention to detail and the exceptional warmth of their staff made me feel very much at home, even though I got there a long way from Southern California. I really look forward to return to the hotel in the winter for my graduation residency, along with my family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that can see fireworks if you happen to be in Montpelier during Independence Day week...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 24 in Stowe
Inn at Montpelier
Inn at Montpelier
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!