“mixed feelings”

Econo Lodge Montpelier
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Reviewed 8 June 2012

All in all, this hotel is not a bad place to stay! My room, on the ground floor , was neat, and well laid out. It had a glassed-in outer corridor. The main reception area was clean,with lots, of room, and the staff was helpful,and very friendly. The main draw-back was the closed down old motel adjacent to, and behind the hotel property. The old motel units,[some lacking doors], were run-down, and the main building was being used as a storing area. I found the breakfast to be very satisfactory, with eggs,sausages,hashbrowns,and waffles,along with the usual cereals,juices,rolls, and breads. This is the second time that I have stayed at this hotel, and my advice is,GET RID OF THOSE DERILICT BUILDINGS!!...jerry...Paris Ontario Canada

Room Tip: Select a ground floor room facing out.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jerry l

Reviewed 18 May 2012

The outside of the hotel seemed okay, but as soon as we opened the door to our room there was a moldy smell, and actual mold in the bathroom. It was one of those hotels where you were worried about walking on the carpet without your shoes on. They did have a continental breakfast offered with waffles and the works so I thought great!! But after making a waffle I realized that the batter was spoiled, so into the garbage it went. We grabbed two prepackaged bagels and left. We will definitely not return nor would we recommend this to anyone. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We checked in and when I pulled back the sheets there was hair and what appeared to be feces smeared on them. We went downstairs and the staff (not owners) were profusely apologetic and gave us new sheets and bedding and even offered to make the bed. I declined and made the bed myself. The staff told us owners were away at a wedding out of the country and it appears housekeeping got sloppy. There were no hot items for breakfast although the brochure promised this. Room was large and bed otherwise comfortable. We checked for signs of insect infestation but things looked ok. Again as Choice Privleges Diamond members we should have gotten either an upgrade or refund. Complained to Choice about our stay, have yet to get a response.
Other options in the area, do not recommend this property.

Room Tip: find somewhere else
2  Thank MeaganLeigh
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My stay at the Montpelier Econo Lodge was great. The hotel is cheap even on the weekend, and comes with a free breakfast. So close to many great ski mountains. I wouldn't take a romantic weekend here, but it is a great place to go for a couple guys looking to get away CHEAP for the weekend. A little run down, but really nice staff!

Room Tip: second floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2012

OK. I realize it is an inexpensive hotel and you should not expect anything fancy but this place is just plain gross. It is deceiving because it looks not bad from the outside and the front desk area looks kind of nice. However, our room was just NASTY! The room had a gross smell that was a combination of old cigarette smoke, mildew and some awful smelly overpowering carpet deodorizer. The hallways also had this gross awful smell and we originally were given another room room which also reeked. Since the room was cold, we thought maybe if we turned the heat up while we were out, it might improve. Wrong! In addition, the heater rattled. I took the cover off to try and fix the noise which was driving us crazy and was welcomed by a faceful of gross dust, debris and general nastiness. The bathroom was dirty and marred. The mattress was old and almost in a collapsed state. Our lampshade was ripped. I could go on..... Even after leaving the hotel, all of our clothing and baggage carried the awful stench that seemed to permeate everything. Don't stay here unless you are totally desperate!

On a positive note...it is a quick walk to the downtown area.

1  Thank chauddog
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here during a snowboarding trip, and it got the job done. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful since we ended up having them bring a microwave into our room. The showers were extremely warm, the beds were comfy, and they had updated flat screen TVs with a decent amount of channels. This hotel wasn't anything special, but I would definitely stay here again. We had no real issues besides not feeling good after breakfast and some noisy neighbors. Also, when the lights were turned off in our room the outlet by the beds didn't work, which made it quite tricky to charge a cell phone. All minor issues that wouldn't keep us from going here again (especially for the price, $60)

Room Tip: They are AAA approved, so use that to get a discount. Also, ask for a microwave at the desk if you...
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Disgusting, smelled like wet cigars, MOLD MOLD MOLD, carpet was WET. I was switched to another room upon which the toilet was clogged, ac was broken, ..... I would not ever stay there again regardless of the price. I have paid similar rates and stayed in rooms light years better.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bexx802
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#13 of 24 in Stowe
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Econo Lodge Montpelier? Share your experiences!