“Capital visit”

Econo Lodge Montpelier
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Upon check in the clerk offered no suggestions as to where to eat or what to do in the area. The motel was located up a dark side street away from any other businesses or restaurants. Room had an undescribable odor that they attempted to mask with some kind of fragrance/room deodorizer. Extremely noisy family staying in neighboring room which appeeared to be motel employees. Older middle eastern man vacuuming hallway by room and didn't stop or move out of the way while we were trying to move into room. Staff was not at all friendly nor welcoming. Breakfast was as expected but room was inadequate for the size of the motel and number of guests. Not worth the rate paid for the room.

Room Tip: Was on ground floor which you were able to enter from an enclosed hallway. Hallway was noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Montpelier

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This old converted office block is terrible. Rude, unwelcoming staff is just the start. I stayed 2 nights & was extremely disappointed.The uneven corridor floor absolutely stinks. Its the old carpet that's rotting away that's causing the smell. The breakfast was edible but in such a small dining room - it's a joke. The " dining room" is behind the front desk & consists of 2 round table to seat 4. there are fixed wall benches so that you can stare closely at the wall. A sign displayed states " More seating available upstairs ". I inquired. You have to carry your breakfast through the front desk, walk upstairs ( there are no lifts ) and sit out of the way. Really poor.!!! I questioned this practice with the elderly Asian male on reception. He just shrugged his shoulders, looked away and answered a ringing phone. Ultimate rudeness. They were delivering a load of new beds when I was present. All the stained broken ones were left for guests to view. I am not a snob by any means & can cam in the woods. Which would have been far more enjoyable. What a stinky, unhelpful dump. DON'T GO HERE !!!!

Room Tip: Room outside in the fresh air - is far preferable. !!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
mark g, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Montpelier, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I'm sorry you didn't have a good stay with us . As i have stated with other reply's that we are constantly improving and having a shipment of brand new pillow top mattresses and box springs is just one example. the old ones was not busted and was given to the local homeless shelters for free. Our staff have gotten rave reviews on service and hospitality in the past .
So maybe a economy brand hotel wasn't the best choice .

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We thought we'd "save" some money and kept trying to give this place the benefit of the doubt. The place smelled so bad it literally gave me a headache and caused my allergies to flare up. We actually stayed for 4 nights and that was a mistake, but we reserved this room via Priceline and so had already paid in advance. The beds were never made and the room and bathroom wasn't cleaned. The room was dusty and dirty. There was a nearly 2" wide and 1.5" deep gap between the carpet and tile in the door way of the bathroom where the transition was missing. The musty smell led me to believe there was a mold problem. We bought air freshener and burned a candle and it didn't help. There is no elevator. The iron had something black melted on it that I didn't notice until it melted onto a piece of my clothing. The toliet flushed once and then the tank didn't refill so you couldn't flush it again. We reported it as soon as we noticed it and it took 36 hours for it to be repaired. During this time, we had to keep the tank lid off and manually adjust the float in the tank. All and all, one of the worst experiences I've had in a hotel. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone I know and I will never stay there again myself.

Room Tip: There isn't a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mskayellen
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After checking into this hotel I asked for a luggage cart. "We don't have luggage carts". Since our room was on the second floor I asked where the elevator was. "We don't have any elevators". I asked for a roll away bed. "We don't have roll-away beds". The first five minutes gave me a negative opinion of this hotel.
The entryway was attractive with curved wooden stairs on each side of the reception desk.We had a large room that was clean and nicely decorated. The decor was colonial style with thick comforters on the beds. The bathroom was humongous with a large dressing area.
Apparently this facility is undergoing renovations as some rooms were colonial and others were more modern style. It is obvious that they are cutting as many corners as they can while renovating as the floorboards under the carpet were not even and the bathroom door was cut crooked, requiring a good shoulder/hip bump to open. No hair dryer in the bathroom but I think one could be acquired from the front desk upon request.
Our iron did not work so we took it to the desk & they gave us an iron with a missing dial that was also broken. When the second iron was returned they acquired a working one from another room.
The ice machine was broken so they had a styrofoam cooler in the lobby with ice. Any incidentals that you might need (combs, toothbrush, etc) were available in a vending machine in the lobby for $1 or more.
Breakfast left a lot to be desired. The only hot item was scrambled eggs, otherwise it was the usual fare of cereal, toast, juice, etc.
The hotel was quiet and we slept well. The only reason we stayed four nights was for that the cost was more than half of other local hotels. The next time I visit Montpelier I will not stay at this hotel unless it is the only one available.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Hello Sheri. We are so sorry you had a rough stay with us as that day was one i too would like to forget. If anything could go wrong , it did on that day.. But i'm happy to say that we installed a new water cooled ice machine (which means no noise).
As we are a small hotel, We are limited in space to store cots. But we have picked up a few air mattresses for the next time. I will also look into getting a cart for the 2nd floor or our staff is always happy to carry the luggage to your room

Mark G

Reviewed 3 September 2013

do NOT stay here - smells VERY musty, is barely clean & wouldn't be surprised if there's mold too! old rooms, old furniture - even had fans in the hallways - as if that was going to get rid of the horrendous smell!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank lindalou-roma
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone! Dirty,dingy and yucky...keep driving! Besides all that when we opened the hall door to go up to our room a mouse ran down the hall ahead of us and ran under one of the benches in the hall. Personally I was more bothered by the dirty dingy room than the mouse! We chose not to eat breakfast !

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank texjan46
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The room was clean, although it looked slightly older. The price was very reasonable and I paid $68 including taxes for the AAA rate. It is an easy 10-15 walk to downtown Montpelier. This way you can explore Montpelier and visit places without having to worry about feeding a parking meter. I would definitely stay again when visiting Montpelier.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your positive review and look forward to seeing you next year. We are constantly making improvements to the hotel and I'm sure you will like them.

Mark G

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
#4 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Econo Lodge Montpelier? Share your experiences!