“Place always seems busy. Not sure I understand why”

Wayside Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #4 of 58 Restaurants in Montpelier
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
“Place always seems busy. Not sure I understand why”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in for lunch one afternoon. We just moved to the area and was looking forward to trying out new places. We knew what we were getting into when we stopped here. Diner food and not much more. My husband wanted a good burger and I was craving seafood. I should've known better living on the east coast and being in the restaurant business for 20+ years.
My husband's burger was over cooked and tasteless. He wanted it medium rare but the waitress told him they don't cook their meats rare the best they could do was medium. Umm ok. Since it was brought to him well over medium I'm assuming whomever was cooking that day didn't know what medium was. I
I ordered fish and chips. What I got was fish 'nuggets', obviously not fresh and soggy French fries. Disappointed, we thought we try dessert. My husband ordered his favorite lemon meringue pie and bread pudding for myself. Wow!!! The pie tasted what I would imagine dirty dish water would taste like. No flavor at all, not sweet and actually tasted old. The bread pudding was ok. But by that time we just wanted to pay the bill and leave.
We looked around at this restaurant that's been around for 90+years and by our experience not understanding why it's been open for that long. I would like to give it another try someday. I'm told by locals the breakfasts are much better.

2 Thank MKenn

Richmond, Virginia
“Great American Comfort Food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

When I visit my daughter in Burlington I always drive the 35 miles to eat here. It is great American comfort food, the bakery deserts are to die for and the prices are fantastic. I have never been disappointed. If you come at 6 pm Saturday expect a line.

2 Thank tedmc_12
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont, United States
“After a long flight”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped by the Wayside after my partener flew into Burlington, VT. It was a nice place for us to unwind and have some great food. The waitress was great, food as always was tasty and filling.

2 Thank Jayne M
New England
“Always worth the stop, always consistent breakfast food”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I took my son out for an early breakfast last Saturday. The service was great, the coffee okay, the breakfast is delicious. There is always full house, but we did not have to wait.

I love their breakfast, I am not a fan of their lunch or dinner.

2 Thank usarmywife1
Burlington, Vermont
“Just the typical diner food.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The food was typical diner. The place was typical diner.
So if your are into that, go for it. In my case, I was into particular different stuff.

The only thing that got my attention was the extremely nice woman serving to us.

• Visited April 2014