“Hilltop Inn Needs a good cleaning”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilltop Inn

Hilltop Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Derry,New Hampshire
“Hilltop Inn Needs a good cleaning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

The Hilltop Inn is dirty. The carpet in our room had many large stains.The drapes were hanging off the hooks. The bathtub was stained and looked dirty. The refrigerator smelled and had a lot of mold in it and when we were checking out I told the desk clerk about it and I got no comment so I imagine the mold is still in the refrigerator. The bedding seemed clean just old and worn. The halls and stairs need to be vacuumed. We will not stay at the Hilltop again on our next trip to Vermont.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirt and mold
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
13 Thank Lucy027
hilltopinn, G.M at Hilltop Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2007
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time and writing this review.
We take every review with great critism ,Our Management has now changed and has taken drastic efforts to improve service and overall guest experience.
We sincerely apologise that your last stay was not satisfactory.If you would email us your stay details we will be glad to refund your entire night's charge along with a gift certificate for a future stay so that if you do return than we can show you what changes we have made.
Again thank yoy for taking the time.
Dave D
G.M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

We attended a wedding on a saturday and checked into the hotel around 1:00 AM, really tired and looking forward to bed. When we opened the door to the room we were disgusted. The beds weren't made and there was garbage and pizza boxes all over the room. I went to the front desk and asked for another room but they said they were all booked up and we would have to wait for them to clean the room. We had no choice since it was so late and there was nothing else in the immediate area. So we had to sit in the hallway for over an hour while they "cleaned" the room. Most of their time was spent running around to different storage rooms to try to find clean sheets. They never vaccumed so there was stil crumbs all over the floor. The next morning we spoke with the manger hoping for some sort of compensation for the inconvenience. He didn't even apologize and said we would have to take it up with orbitz. Unfortunatly when i contacted orbitz they were unable to give us a refund because the manager would not approve it. Totally appalled at the terrible customer service from both orbitz and the hotel.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the room and the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank cosmos716

Travellers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

Cuenca, Ecuador
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

I stayed here while attending Residency at Norwich University 12 miles away. The university offers Residency students a free room in the dorms, but I have a thing against shared baths, no A/C, no TV, and no phone. Yeah, call me "picky."

NOTE: Although listed as being in "Montpelier," this motel is actually in nearby Barre (pronounced "Barry," y'all).

It's obvious that this is an OLD property. The furniture is ancient, but my room was clean and comfortable. The telephone was an old-style black handset and the easy chairs looked to be from the 1940s. The fixtures and labels were yellowed with age or possibly cigarette smoke from before this room was declared "Non-smoking". Soap and shampoo are provided via pump dispensers glued to the shower wall. This strikes me as a potential sanitation issue and smacks of over-zealous "economizing." To be honest, I thought this was rather disgusting.

The restaurant is nice. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. The "lounge" is really part of the restaurant and closes EARLY, so forget about grabbing a "nightcap" as I tried to do at 9pm on a Friday night.

If you should become ill during your stay, a modern hospital is conveniently located across the street. ;)

Staying here was like going through a time-machine back to the 1970s or prior. If you are looking for modern, sparkling facilities with 21st-century amenities, stay elsewhere. If you're looking for an inexpensive room with nostalgia, Hilltop Inn is OK.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Soap/Shampoo dispensers in shower
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank AWTSc
Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2007

We had been traveling all day and were very tired, so we decided to look for a place to stay in Montpelier. First of all, Montpelier does not have a lot of hotels. We stopped at the Comfort Inn, but they were full. The Hilltop Inn was just down the street, and it looked okay from the outside, so we decided to try it. They had one room left, so we took it since it appeared that most places were already booked. The room was the worst I've ever stayed in. The carpet was dirty, there was no phone or nightstands. The bathroom light didn't work, and the bathtub looked awful. We didn't even take showers because it looked so bad. We did have a wardrobe cabinet in our room, however it had a sign on it saying "do not open - cabinet may fall over". Fortunately we checked in at 8:00pm and left the next morning at 6:00am, so we didn't have to stay there for long! I recommend avoiding this place at all costs!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
13 Thank LHWIndiana
atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2007

I needed a room at relatively short notice for a funeral and it was graduation weekend. All that was left was this horror.

The room was large, yes, but that just meant more of bad things. When I checked in, none of the lightbulbs worked. A sink in the room--not the bathroom--was stopped up and contained scummy water about to overflow. The carpet and windows were filthy. The furniture was surely pre-war (WWII). It took some insistence to get the water/lightbulb problems corrected, but the steady trip from the faucet made sleeping difficult. No iron, no coffeemaker NOT EVEN A HAIRDRYER so I had to go buy one. No shampoo etc.

FORTUNATELY, I was able to locate the next day a FABULOUS room at the Best Western in Waterbury, ten miles away. I paid $100/night as opposed to the $50 at the Hilltop and I would have paid five times that to get AWAY.

What a HORRIBLE place!!

Stayed May 2007
14 Thank jkotler
wadsworth, il
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2007

This hotel was dirty, unsafe, moldy, dusty, old, unmaintained, unpainted, carpet unshampooed, linens old and stained, facilities ancient. No restaurant, (thankfully), gutters didn't work, rugs were soaking wet, awning were ripped and dirty, lobby was dark and dank. Whomever rated this as 2 stars must have been reading their own press
releases because it was not habitable. I left after checking in, fully aware that I would lose the full amount that I paid with Priceline. I would not put my Mother-in-Law in this rat hole. Priceline actually gave me my money back. YAY Priceline, BOO Hilltop Inn.

Stayed April 2007
13 Thank ryple
Southern Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2007

I have stayed here before and have had good results with this place. I had no reason to expect anything different. When I went in Feb 07, My stay was horrible. The ice machine did not work. You had to beg for ice. The staff was rude and not knowledgable. The parking lot was not cleaned up after a storm that was over for three days. The room was horrible. Low shower pressure, not enough towels, and a room that was dirty and a stained carpet. I don't know what was on it needless to say I probably don't want to. I coulld not get the daytona 500 race on the tv. Poor channel selection. The pool however was okay. Based on my experience with this place, I will probably consider staying at a different place the next time I am in need of lodging.

• Liked — reasonable rates
  • Disliked — dirty rooms. unplowed parking lot
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank tightwadtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Hilltop Inn? Share your experiences!