“It was perfect for us”

Ranked #3 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
Little Rock
“It was perfect for us”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We had rooms 7 and 8 on the first floor in the pet free house next door and couldn't have been any more comfortable. We had a nice living room and ample kitchen, as well as en suite bathrooms. We asked what would fit our needs and this suite of rooms worked out perfectly.
Because this is an old house with hardwood floors, we could hear the guest upstairs moving around, but it just wasn't a big deal. Nor was the fact that the front guest room faced the street any kind of problem -- not too noisy and no concern for privacy (just pull the blinds).
Since we were arriving very late, we made key arrangements in advance and it was like coming home when we finally fell into bed in the wee hours of the morning after a very long travel day.
There was seating on the front porch where we could watch the world go by and use the WiFi to check our email, as well as a delightful hillside sitting area in the rear.
The rooms themselves had been thoughtfully put together, working around the restrictions of the existing architecture. Shelf and closet space had even been eked out of limited space in the bathrooms.
There was a good sized flatscreen TV in one of the bedrooms, and I'm sure there will be one in the second bedroom sometime soon, as well. It would have been nice to have had a common area TV, as well, but in terms of creature comforts, that's the only nit we could find.
Breakfast was good and abundant with plenty of variety, and the company was interesting. In just two mornings we met fellow guests from Europe, Asia, and across the U.S.
No, it's not lavish, glitzy and cutting edge. It's a homey, comfortable, convenient B & B which met our needs perfectly.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor if you don't like stairs. If you describe your needs in advance, you'll...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank willtravel12345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed here as a family of four and stayed in the suite of rooms above the garage. This was two bedrooms with an en suite accessible from each room and suited us really well. It was great to have a second bedroom and that it had twin beds rather than a double as our children appreciated not having to share a bed!
It was a real bonus too to have a kitchen, dining AND sitting room all to ourselves. The
furniture was not modern but more than adequate for the room and fitted the style of the accommodation perfectly. The rooms were light, spacious and clean. The blind in our bedroom was broken and I did intend to inform Betsy but totally forgot - it was not a big deal but should be put right to ensure privacy although it is at the back of the property so not overlooked. The blind had clearly simply been rolled back into position and balanced on the rollers to ensure it didnt immediately appear broken. Also, the heating covering in that room was coming away from the wall and could have caused an injury as the space between the bed and the wall was tight! It may be time to just check up on a few small points to ensure these things are put right.
As a B and B we were delighted to find somewhere that was not a chain, that was run as a family business and was somewhat quirky. If you want everything just so this is not the place to come.
The joy of these places is that they are individual and not quite perfect!
Breakfast was delicious and it was great sharing a large table with other guests to pick their brains about places to visit and routes to find etc. The girl cooking breakfast might have been a little more friendly however as she did not even think us when we took the trouble to compliment her and thank her for breakfast. She was particularly monosyllabic.
The place is far from perfect but it is a good location and more than adequate in providing a clean comfortable place to stay in the lovely Montpelier

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Betsy's was a perfectly nice place to stay for my recent visit to Montpelier. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the breakfast homemade and plentiful. It's about a 5 minute walk, down a hill (uphill on the way back!) to the main downtown area, but it located in a lovely, quiet residential area. I staying in the front bedroom in the house next door. (Betsy's is made up of a few different houses/buildings.) It is immediately next door and it felt fine to stay there -- very homey and perfectly safe. The tiny dog doesn't come in that building (so if you're allergic, don't worry), only the main building -- and the dog is very sweet and friendly. Not a problem at all. The people who work at Betsy's were perfectly friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: There are several houses. I stayed next door to the main house. That may not be your first choice...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank vitzrob
San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The b&b itself is very disappointing and over priced. Plus, she let her dog bark for awhile around 3:30 a.m.

Being ill and sleep extremely precious, we were appalled that she did not seem to see barking dog as a problem. I was unable to get back to sleep. Others reported the dog barking after 10:00p.m.

All rooms are basically the same, basic and somewhat shabby.

Don't ever go there.

Room Tip: All are the same.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank redeemthesilence
Betsy A, Owner at Betsy's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
I knew I would hear from these guests again! As I was taking my dog from the third floor to the first floor to go outside at 3:00 a.m., she suddenly stopped on the second floor (where we have three guest rooms) and started barking. She hasn't done this at night before. I was very embarrassed. I got her downstairs and back upstairs as quickly as possible, trying to quiet her down as I went. The whole incident lasted about three minutes, but I heard from the guests for a lot longer. I apologized and reduced their bill for their inconvenience, but obviously they were not mollified. The guests in the other two rooms came down to me separately after hearing their complaints, to let me know that they understood that these things can happen and that they were not upset.

I sensed before the guests even checked in that they would not be happy. I spoke to and emailed the couple at least half a dozen times before they arrived. The wife insisted that I give them "the best room." I believe that my rooms are of uniformly good quality, so I sent several pictures and let her choose. When they arrived to check in, I let them choose among the rooms that were open. She chose a different room than the one I had originally booked for her. In retrospect, I should have kept her in the room I originally chose because that was in the pet free house.

If you stay at Betsy's and do not wish to be around a dog, please let me know so that I can put you in the pet-free house next door to our home. We have eight rooms in that house.

Travellers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

North Berwick, Maine
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My room was in a separate building. I found it odd that a first floor, road facing room with a bay window would be booked to a woman traveling alone. I don't think Montpelier is a high crime city; nevertheless, I didn't care for the location of the room. I wondered the whole time if the shades did indeed afford me complete privacy.

The first tip off to my concern about the cleanliness was when I placed something on the night stand and discovered a sticky spot. If housekeeping doesn't clean the most basic spot in a room as a night stand, what else are they missing? I simply cleaned it up. There were cobwebs around the feet of some of the furniture. If that had been the only question of cleanliness, it wouldn't have bothered me that much. But when I pulled back the covers to go to bed, I could smell the pillows. They smelled like greasy head. The sheets and pillow cases were clean, but the pillows have probably never been changed or washed. They were so bad I had to put them across the room so I couldn't smell them. I found a couple of pillows in the closet. One of them was just as bad, and the other, while certainly not fresh, at least had a shampoo smell to it. I could also smell a wet laundry, sour smell in the bed but couldn't determine the source. It was to one side of the bed so I slept on the other side with one pillow.

The bathroom appeared clean, but when I was drying off from my shower, I happened to look at the walls. I think someone must have wiped down the walls with a dirty rag or towel at one point. There were black hairs stuck all over the wall. The woodwork was also dusty.

The easy chair in the corner of the room looked like a yard sale find, as did the couch outside my room in the common area.

I thought it would be charming and personal to try a B & B, but this was the worst B & B I have ever stayed in. Next time I will go back to the Capitol Hotel in Montpelier where it's always clean. I didn't even bother with the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank inevercookathome
Wow! I wish this guest had let me know she had a problem with the room. It would never occur to me that a woman traveling alone would object to this room, but obviously she felt uncomfortable. If I had known that, I could have tried to put her in a second floor room.

My sense is that her discomfort about the room location made her hypersensitive to other concerns with the room. The "yard sale" chair in the room is an antique wing chair with clean upholstery. The "yard sale" couch is a modern couch that was purchased within the last six months from a local furniture store. We are diligent about keeping clean pillows in the rooms. After hearing her concerns, we replaced what needed to be changed. I have reminded my housekeepers to dust the backs and legs of furniture and the woodwork more frequently.
Powell Butte, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The innkeeper couldn't be bothered to physically show us to our room, the breakfast staff was surly, the room was cramped and the road noise loud. It's hard to believe the mix of these reviews, but our experience was not one we would care to repeat. I think we would have been better off at a Motel 6.

Room Tip: There is a lot of road noise in room 7, as well as the noise of other guests going in and out.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carolyn E
This guest came at our busiest time of the year, Vermont's foliage season. The traffic inside and out was heavier than usual. I am sorry the guest had trouble with noise.

Room 7 is 12 by 17, not including the bathroom. While hotel rooms may be larger than this, it is hardly small for a room in a Victorian home.

I do not always take guests to their rooms. We have twelve rooms spread over three buildings. If a guest needs help, I am happy to take them to their room, but most guests are comfortable with verbal instructions on locating their room.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Room was clean, bathroom felt like a cheap motel. Very impersonal treatment by owner and staff. Noisy street with traffic very early in the morning. OK breakfast, not plentiful which was ok with me. Orange juice was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry this guest did not have a good stay. He came at our busiest time of year, so perhaps traffic was busier than usual. It is normally a pretty quiet street.

I am surprised to hear that the guest did not think breakfast was plentiful. We always offer eggs cooked to order and a sweet entree such as pancakes or french toast, a meat on the side, freshly made baked goods, and fruit, cereal and juice and coffee. We often have a second egg dish such as a quiche or frittata and we sometimes have potatoes or grits as well. Guests tell us every day how much they love our breakfast and how full they are!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Capitol Plaza
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Inn at Montpelier
Inn at Montpelier
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Betsy's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!