“Not for government travelers”

Newport City Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I travel quite a bit on business for the federal government and thought that I would try this hotel as I've driven by it and there are amenities nearby. I called to request a room at the government rate and was told that that would be a 10% discount from the regular rate. As the clerk was looking, I mentioned that the GSA rate was $83.00. She came back to tell me that the rate for a non-smoking queen would be $83.69. I said that was over the government approved rate but I thought that I might just eat the extra change and booked it. After thinking about it, having never before encountered a situation in which a hotel did not meet the GSA rate, I called back to ask a couple of questions about the room and to request that the manager adjust the rate down 69 cents to meet the GSA rate and save me lots of hassle with my voucher. After just a minute, the clerk came back to tell me, "No." I was completely incredulous that this hotel would lose 83 dollars over 69 cents by not being in compliance with the GSA. I asked if she was sure about that. The clerk said that the rate was $83.69 for the room and then she hung up on me! I was left with the impression that government business was not important to these folks and that if I was treated this rudely before arrival, my guest experience was not going to be worth my own sixty nine cents. If you are traveling to this area on GSA per diem, try the Four Seasons Motel a few miles away. It is better located right off I91, near food and gas and the very friendly staff is more than happy to offer you a rate within the GSA schedule. Needless to say I will be repeat customer there next week.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank VermontGerry
Samantha C, Manager at Newport City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your review. First I would like to address the Government rate. We do not have special rates for government employees and dont offer any discounts. We offer AAA, AARP and Military Discounts. Our clerk offered you the discount to try to accommodate your needs.
Secondly, I find it unfortunate that you state she hung up on you, as I was in the office during the phone call. I understand frustrations but to say an employee of ours hung up on you is not fair or accurate. We do have other rooms that are at a lower cost, but due to last minute reservations, they were not available.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The positive side of staying here is that there is an indoor pool and fitness room as well as a computer for guests to use. The place also has Wifi. However, the negative side of staying here is that the bed in our room was uncomfortable and the AC was noisy although it did cool the room. The room was small and needed updating. The continental breakfast lacked fruit and other amenities that we have had at other motels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank globeseeker007

Thank you for your review. We are have and continue to upgrade our rooms. Some of the process in the horse shoe section is brand new modern bathrooms, all beds were replaced within the past few years, we have upgraded our wireless, and also installed keurigs in all rooms. Unfortunately we do not offer fresh fruit with our breakfast but we have added assorted yogurt and hard boiled eggs. I understand it is not the same, but it is an improvement and we continue to improve.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The front desk person (chrissy?) Was so accommodating and nice. My husband likes to see the room first before we book it and she happily took us to different rooms. If I owned a hotel, I would want a person like this representing it. Super clean rooms, nice pool and hot tub and free breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tina c
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night before the Rasputitsa bike race. The room was clean and check was friendly and efficient. There was a Keurig coffee maker in our room which was a pleasant surprise and though the room was small there was plenty of room for all our race gear and our bikes.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia W
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

My husband stayed here while we visited our daughter. Very nice comfortable and clean room. Located right on the Main Street , it's within walking distance to Subway , convenient stores , and other eateries . Breakfast was very good with bagels, muffins, coffee, juice etc. only negative my husband said he missed some fresh fruit. My husbands room was exterior , however they do have a newer building that has interior corridors. Overall a very comfortable stay!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank 1995win
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My room had damaged carpet with some crumbles left on it..
I also found few long hair in the bathroom, albeit not in the tub..
Otherwise bed was clean and comfortable.
I did not use the gym or the pool but looked good.
I recommand wok n roll, a casual chinese place next door for great value and food.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I arrived late in the evening and checked in and found it to be quite quaint and warm. The girl at the desk was very open, friendly and smiled as if it were early morning. That is a treat in itself these days!
The room was small, but very clean and well arranged, cable tv, cofee maker, and spacious enough for a weary overnight traveler to get some much needed sleep. There are no eatining facilities on site but for breakfast, I recommend The Black Cow also located just down the street on Main itself.
Well worth the price and I left well rested and satisfied!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Auberge Sutton Brouerie
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sutton

Been to Newport City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!