“Fall Foliage Trip 2013”

The Inn at Weathersfield
Ranked #1 of 2 Perkinsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We found this Inn after a recommendation from a friend and were not disappointed! Beautiful location, great staff (thanks Liz and Paul!) and wonderful food in the gourmet dining areas. Richard and Marilee are some of the nicest hosts we have ever spent time with, and she even arranged for some picnic supplies for an outing to one of the local covered bridges! Our stay in the Martins Mill room was very quiet and over the top comfortable!! An outside fire pit that just draws guests together for good times and homemade doughnuts each morning to take with you on your day. Hands down one of the nicest B and B's we have visited all over the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the inn for five nights. We ate dinner at the inn for only three of those nights because the dining room is closed during part of the week (although breakfast is served each day). This is an inconvenience since the inn is located in a rural area requiring that one drive to a nearby town for a meal. One night we ate at the Country Creemee, a roadside stand where we sat on a picnic bench and ate excellent hamburgers and more excellent maple soft ice cream. Another night we drove to Springfield, a dreary town dominated by abandoned factories, where we ate at the Black Rock Steakhouse, a passable steakhouse. The Country Creemee and the Black Rock Steakhouse have the virtue of not haranguing diners with tedious information about what local farmers tore the vegetables from the earth and slit the throats of the animals one is eating. (Note to Vermont dining establishments: just serve us well prepared good food. We don't care who killed it.) The dining, including service, at the Inn at Weathersfield was fine. The food is very good but not at a level to justify a stay solely for the dining experience. The dining comes into play when one combines it with visiting the area. In our case, we hiked in the area, particularly the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, about 20 miles from the inn. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The innkeepers and the staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Weathersfieldinn, Owner at The Inn at Weathersfield, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We invite you to return and experience the cuisine of our new Executive Chef Jean-Luc Matecat. When you stayed, our former chef was in his last days at the inn. (He took a corporate day position preparing lunches on a nearby ski mountain in order to spend time with his young children at night). While the trails 20 miles away are quite lovely, there are many, many trails much closer to the inn, including those at Mt. Ascutney and a fabulous hidden gem, down through the Power Basin less than two miles from the inn.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Some time ago, I logged a very favorable review of this Inn and since then have returned for a second helping. My wife cautioned me not to expect the same magic I encountered the first time we visited, but she was forced to happily acknowledge she was mistaken.

Rather than focusing on the ambience, rooms, architecture and well-stocked bar, I want to feature that which makes the Inn a most singular experience: the food! I had mentioned the quality of the food in my earlier review, but it deserves amplification and more detail.

We had gone to the Inn for a Thursday night ‘tasting dinner’ where the chef tries out his new creations. On each menu is a column, to the right of the description of fare, labeled “tasting notes” where guests can respond to and comment upon the dishes they have selected. For appetizers, there was first corn chowder with house smoked bacon. The chowder was delicious, delicately flavored in a fashion that allowed the smoky bacon to permeate. This was followed by lobster hash with apple chipotle butter. I found it to be a remarkable assembly of flavors with the lobster strongly present and accounted for.

The second course was Springmore Farm’s (local, of course) chicken cannelloni blended with oyster mushrooms in a red wine sauce. This was a truly exceptional dish and probably my favorite for the evening. Trying not to wolf it down, I savored the remarkably flavorful blend of ingredients in which, like an fine orchestra, each component could be identified separately, but the sum of the total exceeded the parts. If this description seems rhapsodic, it is simply because I encountered a rhapsody.

The main course offered a choice of Spring Rock Farm’s (local again) beef skewers accompanied by garden cucumbers with a poppy and yogurt sauce, aromatic rice with curry and blossoms (squash?), OR Jersey Girl’s (local) veal with spun carrot, a baby arugula salad with balsamic pickled jus and truffle. I chose the beef skewers and found the beef exceedingly tender and perfectly cooked. It also possessed a delicate flavor that was a fine accompaniment to the other dishes. My wife chose the same dish, so we can only surmise how good the veal was. [I should also note there was a full vegetarian, dairy and gluten-free menu that (to this carnivore) appeared remarkably tasty.]

Dessert, seldom something I fully appreciate, was a chocolate semi freddo accompanied by an almond biscotti containing local blueberries. I found it to be very good and my wife (a dessert lover) was even more enthusiastic.

Since we stayed over, the next morning we got the included breakfast, and I am not talking about what passes for breakfast at many establishments that link themselves to a European model with rolls, coffee, juice, and fruit. No, this is a real breakfast. After juice, fruit and with coffee, my wife and I had the pear and cheddar cheese stuffed pancakes with house smoked bacon. Yummmmm … pretty much covers it. Other choices included buckwheat crepes and a Chef’s special omelette. We had had this during our last visit and can pronounce them delicious.

The owners continue to exhibit the kind of caring hospitality that makes staying there an exceptional pleasure difficult to match elsewhere. They have crafted an experience that combines unobtrusive elegance with an exceptional degree of comfort, relaxation and pleasure. We will return, as often as opportunity presents itself, and I expect to introduce others to this exceptional experience. One bit of advice: GO!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We spent four nights at the Inn, just prior to fall foliage season so we benefited from one of their excellent value packages (look out for these!). This meant we got to eat at the restaurant 3 nights in a row. The food was consistently excellent, the tasting menu blew us away, particularly the kale soup served from a teapot! Save room for breakfast also, there's an array of options to try something new and different every morning - personally the Salty Frenchman was my favorite. They will be hard pressed to find a chef that matches Chef Jason's skills and imagination (he leave in October), but equally this seems like an great place to be a chef so we look forward to trying whatever comes next.
We stayed in the very-much-in-demand Martin's Mill, a fantastic hideaway room on the top floor, with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The only thing that could have been improved would be to have some shades on the skylights so we could sleep even longer.
Merilee and Richard and all their staff are the most fantastic hosts - they have the perfect balance of friendly and professional. They helped us out with our daytime plans, emergency doctor visits and finding other equally great food options nearby.
We were so sad to leave after a totally relaxing few days, albeit 5 pounds heavier...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have stayed at the Weathersfield two times and have loved it both times. The old owners and the new owners are great. The staff is great. The rooms are all great. We are not foodies but the food looked awesome. If you go there ask to see George. He is the cutest dog you will ever see. The area is quiet. Overall you can not go wrong staying here if you are in Vermont. Also the beds are the best I have ever slept on.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

A real treat. Rooms and room decor nothing special, but the common areas and dining rooms have a warm comfortable rustic New England feel. Our hosts, Marilee and Richard were gracious and helpful. But, what makes the Inn special is their Chef and food. Unbelievable! Simply wonderful, almost indescribable. Based on our two meals, Chef Jason is a one of a kind. Ingenious in his menu choices and use of local ingredients and matching wine choices. We would love to return for his cooking school and more fine dining.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not above the kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jondr
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on several occasions. Although it's a five hour drive for us, this place will never be too far for us. This recent weekend was with my mom, my sister and her husband and of course my wife, Dianne.

The new owner, Merilee and Richard, are showing the same love of the Inn as their predecessors. The grounds are meticulously maintained, the rooms are spotless and the beds are the best. We decided to get to the bottom of the bed and found a 4 inch memory foam pad that is a wonderful touch to an already super-comfy bed.

We had 3 rooms, Lincoln on the first floor for mom, Taftsville and Arlington just above. With a separate staircase to the top two rooms, we really did have the front end of the Inn to ourselves.

And then there's the food, the food, the food!! Friday night we had private dining in the "parlor" as there was a large bridal party in the main dining room. There are three menus this time of year, the "Tavern Menu", the "Vitality Menu" and the Chef's VerTerra Tasting menu. Over the course of two evenings, we sampled many of the selections, many of the exceptional wine choices and few after dinner drinks on the deck at the firepit after dinner.

Here's a few of the mouth-watering highlights: Kale soup with Maine Crab Lime Cream and Roasted Lemon. Chef Jason kicked up the normally bland kale into a wonderful and spicy blend that I opted to have on night two as well. Off the VerTerra menu I opted for the Chicken and Dumplings with Porcini Mushroom, Spinach and Rosemary. Presentation is impressive, taste was one notch above "lick the plate" good!

Jim and I had Farm house Veal Bolognese Pasta with roasted tomato, grated cheese and garden herbs. The Inn has its own garden and Chef can be seen selecting his herbs for the evening meals every afternoon. The Inn features meats and vegetable and other foods from many local artisans and farmers so the freshness shines through.

Mom, a 86 year old from the County, opted for Baked Stuffed whole Yam with sautéed kale sauce romesco. There wasn't a speck left on her plate and this single yam was a meal and a half! Paula had Chicken Under a Brick with Fennel and Broccoli Panzanella Bread Salad Sundry Tomato Emulsion. While these entrees obviously sound great, I've been to many restaurants where the clever names just don't match the quality...not so at the Inn where all meals are a gastronomic delight!

Breakfast is good but fairly limited. Perhaps the thought is that if you're a guest of the Inn, you probably packed away enough calories at the great dinner the previous night! I'd like to see omelets on the menu.

Room Tip: We get a big kick out of the rooms with the 5 shower head showers! We have enjoyed all the rooms we...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dubord207
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perkinsville
Grafton Inn
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 15 in Woodstock
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to The Inn at Weathersfield? Share your experiences!