“Vermont Oasis”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wantage, New Jersey
“Vermont Oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

From the moment I passed through the quaint little entrance way I immediately felt my cares wash away. Marilee and Richard have running a B&B down to perfection. They have a perfect blend of personal & professionalism. After reading a few reviews, I was concerned about the food as read the chef had left,,that quickly dissipated with my first bite of their divine food. This trip was booked as a culinary destination for us, as we work in a similar industry and were researching the farm to table movement. Although I have no record of comparison to the prior chef, I can speak to the incredible talent of their current chef. I appreciated that the food was not only incredibly fresh, but super creative too. After speaking with the owners and the chef himself about the direction they are taking the food, I have no doubt about the amazing things to come from the Inn. I loved how the main part of the Inn maintained it's original architectural integrity while the private rooms had many of modern luxuries that made it feel like a spa vacation. I even booked a massage (which I highly recommend) in my private room. If I had any complaint about the room, it would be the noise level. We booked the upper falls which is right above the dining room, so you could hear late night guests and early morning set up. I'm sure this is easily resolved with some earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Otherwise the room had everything! Bed was comfortable with high quality linens, heat worked great, new windows and great spa shower. It was spacious and immaculate. (and believe me,,I am a clean freak..I looked!!) The only other thing to note is seclusion. Be prepared to drive to things. Everything is about 20 minutes away. Marilee is wonderful about printing out directions, and things to do in the area. But I can't stress enough that the food justifies everything!!! We will no doubt return to peek in on their new creations! And with any luck you will meet their dog George, who my Husband fell head over heels in love with :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We celebrated another anniversary at the Inn this past weekend and, if possible, it was even better than our first stay just a year ago. We tried a new room this time and loved walking out on the deck in the evening to see the stars and in the morning to hear the crunch of fresh snow under our feet and take in a clear view of the woods around the inn...The real stars were Marilee and Richard, the ultimate hosts who continue to find new ways to enhance the experience of their guests. We loved new Chef Jean Luc, who prepared a delicious menu. We had a great time and look forward to returning in the spring to experience the Inn in another season. Thanks Marilee and Richard for a(nother) wonderful weekend... See you soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kensington, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We just spent the most amazing weekend at the Inn at Weathersfield. We were there for a wedding and stayed for 2 nights. From the moment we arrived, Marilee, Richard and their entire staff made us feel as if they had personally invited us to stay with them. The service was extraordinary. We had a private dinner in the wine cellar our first night. It was fantastic. The room itself was warm and decorated beautifully. The food was extraordinary!! That night set the tone for the rest of our stay. Our room (Arlington) was beautiful! The rustic charm was blended with modern amenities. The wedding was beautiful. As an attendant in the wedding, I was able to see all of the "backstage" action. The staff had it down cold! The execution was flawless and the bride and groom had a magical night. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Inn to anyone...in fact I have been talking it up all week! Upon leaving, we were given hugs by Marilee and Richard and welcome to return anytime. I can assure you we will!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We've been here several times. This was our first time under the new management. There are some bugs still to work out, things seem less smooth and less personalized than they did under the previous owners. The food continues to be absolutely extraordinary, this really is a food destination. The wine list has been pared down considerably since our last visit, which is my only criticism of the dining experience.

The main concern going forward is that the head chef is leaving, and the inn has really built its entire reputation around his prowess. Take away the food, and the rooms are a small and overpriced, and the location is just far enough south in Vermont that it is a bit inconvenient to get to major tourist areas. Securing a new world-class chef is going to be the key to the inn's continued success in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Weathersfieldinn, Owner at The Inn at Weathersfield, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Looking back, we should have responded to your review immediately. You visited when we were in the middle of our chef search. If we seemed distracted, we were, and if it affected your experience, we apologize. The good news is we found the next great chef for The Inn at Weathersfield. After reviewing over 80 qualified chefs' resumes, we narrowed the list to 15 candidates for after work in-depth phone interviews. We formed a six-member search committee (including the former inn owners) and invited five chefs to stay at the inn, visit our local farms and cook for us inside The Hidden Kitchen, our onsite cooking classroom studio. It was a unanimous decision. Chef Jean-Luc was the perfect next great chef. His food philosophy directly aligns with our mission statement - to be as authentic as possible - no prepared frozen foods on any menu. Jean-Luc continues to receive high praise. As a native Vermonter and son of a Parisian chef, he was trained in California and split his career between Nantucket, northern Vermont and France before coming here. His food is authentic, inventive and delicious. Our tasting menu continues to change weekly and now we have an a la carte seasonal menu and tavern menu all sourced from our farm partners. As for our wine list, it is true that we didn't replace many of the obscure $200-$300 priced wines we inherited when purchasing the inn. However, our wine sales are the largest in the history of the inn and we just announced Wine Spectator Magazine gave us the Award of Excellence, now 11 years running. Since purchasing the inn, we've spent considerable time and resources replacing furniture, beds, linens, rugs, lighting and paint. (Lots and lots of paint.) We hope you visit us again and see for yourself how far we've come.
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We found this Inn after a recommendation from a friend and were not disappointed! Beautiful location, great staff (thanks Liz and Paul!) and wonderful food in the gourmet dining areas. Richard and Marilee are some of the nicest hosts we have ever spent time with, and she even arranged for some picnic supplies for an outing to one of the local covered bridges! Our stay in the Martins Mill room was very quiet and over the top comfortable!! An outside fire pit that just draws guests together for good times and homemade doughnuts each morning to take with you on your day. Hands down one of the nicest B and B's we have visited all over the world.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the inn for five nights. We ate dinner at the inn for only three of those nights because the dining room is closed during part of the week (although breakfast is served each day). This is an inconvenience since the inn is located in a rural area requiring that one drive to a nearby town for a meal. One night we ate at the Country Creemee, a roadside stand where we sat on a picnic bench and ate excellent hamburgers and more excellent maple soft ice cream. Another night we drove to Springfield, a dreary town dominated by abandoned factories, where we ate at the Black Rock Steakhouse, a passable steakhouse. The Country Creemee and the Black Rock Steakhouse have the virtue of not haranguing diners with tedious information about what local farmers tore the vegetables from the earth and slit the throats of the animals one is eating. (Note to Vermont dining establishments: just serve us well prepared good food. We don't care who killed it.) The dining, including service, at the Inn at Weathersfield was fine. The food is very good but not at a level to justify a stay solely for the dining experience. The dining comes into play when one combines it with visiting the area. In our case, we hiked in the area, particularly the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, about 20 miles from the inn. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The innkeepers and the staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. We invite you to return and experience the cuisine of our new Executive Chef Jean-Luc Matecat. When you stayed, our former chef was in his last days at the inn. (He took a corporate day position preparing lunches on a nearby ski mountain in order to spend time with his young children at night). While the trails 20 miles away are quite lovely, there are many, many trails much closer to the inn, including those at Mt. Ascutney and a fabulous hidden gem, down through the Power Basin less than two miles from the inn.
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Some time ago, I logged a very favorable review of this Inn and since then have returned for a second helping. My wife cautioned me not to expect the same magic I encountered the first time we visited, but she was forced to happily acknowledge she was mistaken.

Rather than focusing on the ambience, rooms, architecture and well-stocked bar, I want to feature that which makes the Inn a most singular experience: the food! I had mentioned the quality of the food in my earlier review, but it deserves amplification and more detail.

We had gone to the Inn for a Thursday night ‘tasting dinner’ where the chef tries out his new creations. On each menu is a column, to the right of the description of fare, labeled “tasting notes” where guests can respond to and comment upon the dishes they have selected. For appetizers, there was first corn chowder with house smoked bacon. The chowder was delicious, delicately flavored in a fashion that allowed the smoky bacon to permeate. This was followed by lobster hash with apple chipotle butter. I found it to be a remarkable assembly of flavors with the lobster strongly present and accounted for.

The second course was Springmore Farm’s (local, of course) chicken cannelloni blended with oyster mushrooms in a red wine sauce. This was a truly exceptional dish and probably my favorite for the evening. Trying not to wolf it down, I savored the remarkably flavorful blend of ingredients in which, like an fine orchestra, each component could be identified separately, but the sum of the total exceeded the parts. If this description seems rhapsodic, it is simply because I encountered a rhapsody.

The main course offered a choice of Spring Rock Farm’s (local again) beef skewers accompanied by garden cucumbers with a poppy and yogurt sauce, aromatic rice with curry and blossoms (squash?), OR Jersey Girl’s (local) veal with spun carrot, a baby arugula salad with balsamic pickled jus and truffle. I chose the beef skewers and found the beef exceedingly tender and perfectly cooked. It also possessed a delicate flavor that was a fine accompaniment to the other dishes. My wife chose the same dish, so we can only surmise how good the veal was. [I should also note there was a full vegetarian, dairy and gluten-free menu that (to this carnivore) appeared remarkably tasty.]

Dessert, seldom something I fully appreciate, was a chocolate semi freddo accompanied by an almond biscotti containing local blueberries. I found it to be very good and my wife (a dessert lover) was even more enthusiastic.

Since we stayed over, the next morning we got the included breakfast, and I am not talking about what passes for breakfast at many establishments that link themselves to a European model with rolls, coffee, juice, and fruit. No, this is a real breakfast. After juice, fruit and with coffee, my wife and I had the pear and cheddar cheese stuffed pancakes with house smoked bacon. Yummmmm … pretty much covers it. Other choices included buckwheat crepes and a Chef’s special omelette. We had had this during our last visit and can pronounce them delicious.

The owners continue to exhibit the kind of caring hospitality that makes staying there an exceptional pleasure difficult to match elsewhere. They have crafted an experience that combines unobtrusive elegance with an exceptional degree of comfort, relaxation and pleasure. We will return, as often as opportunity presents itself, and I expect to introduce others to this exceptional experience. One bit of advice: GO!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perkinsville
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
#3 of 7 in Ludlow
Hartness House
Hartness House
#1 of 2 in Springfield

Been to The Inn at Weathersfield? Share your experiences!