“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Swiss Farm Inn

Swiss Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Pittsfield B&B and Inns
MA
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for the Peak Races. Awesome place. The owners are extremely friendly and the meals were really great. I have Celiac Disease and they were able to cater for me even off season. I'm staying there again for another race and would definitely recommend this place to anyone coming to Pittsfield VT.

Room Tip: We got one with the bunk bed and queen which can sleep a family of 4 easily.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank another_roadwarrior

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights here at the recommendation of a local, near Pittsfield. It was so much more than I expected. Clean, friendly, easy to get to from the slopes, and the food....oh, did I mention Roger & Joyce not only serve a fabulous breakfast but they also serve a complete, home cooked dinner that was out of this world delicious and healthy. They make accommodations for children with "fussy" palates. You bring your own wine/beer. Not only will I stay here again, I didn't want to leave! 5+ star rating in my opinion!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chprnrse
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have been staying at the Swiss Farm for many years while skiing up at Killington (20 mins), Pico (15 mins) and Sugarbush (~1 hr). Roger and Joyce are extremely accommodating hosts and you always meet friendly, interesting people there. Food is excellent and very home cooked. Breakfast is really great. If you're looking for down duvets and mints on the pillow, look elsewhere. Having said that, I have always found an extra glass of red wine after dinner wine makes the night as comfortable as home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building can be a bit noisy due to proximity near Rte. 100,
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank thom b
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Swiss Farm Inn is very cozy with an excellent breakfast. Very clean and reasonable. The owners are extremely pleasant and helpful. The shower is a bit small. My husband and I were traveling on vacation and thought the accomodations were great. We were there in October so the lack AC was not a problem.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna M
Woburn, MA
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We just stayed at the Swiss Farm Inn B&B while in Pittsfield for a friend's wedding. I have stayed in bed & breakfast accommodations before, and this one would be considered to be a value B&B. The room rate is why we chose the Swiss Farm, it being the least expensive option out of others in the area. The wedding was at Riverbend, and was only a short drive down the road. If you are staying in the area for a wedding at Riverbend, the convenience factor is high.

The staff was friendly and helpful in all of our interactions. The rooms were very clean; while I love traveling, staying in a strange bed and bathroom tend to freak me out, so when I say they were clean and I was comfortable, that should stand for something! We saw other rooms in the Inn, every room was a little different. Ours had only a very small stand up shower, others had a full tub (I think that may have depended on how many beds were in the room). Amenities and conveniences are sparse. Luckily the weekend was cool, because it looks like there's no AC and based on other reviews it appears as though its not an option. No fan in the room either although another room we saw had a ceiling fan. Our room had windows facing the road, and we could hear traffic although it was not frequent. Also, there were only sheerish half curtains on the windows so we got sun in the room once it was high enough, which made sleeping past 7am difficult. We had a small closet that badly needed new shelf paper, it was all peeling off. Also, the closet rod was too low, so our clothes touched the ground. We had no other hooks to hang anything on. Very frustrating when you have a formal event to attend and need your garments looking fresh. Looks like other rooms had luggage racks and proper hanging rods, so maybe this room was a miss? Bed was comfortable. No TV, no radio, and the wifi connection was not excellent, so it made being in touch with other wedding guests a little frustrating as we had almost no cell service all weekend.

Bathroom was a tight squeeze with a slanted ceiling, fixtures are old and could really use some updating. The hot water was not consistent.... randomly went from scalding to freezing at least 3-4 times during the 1 shower I took. As another reviewer commented, you had few to no options to put things down in the bathroom, which again was very frustrating as we were preparing for a formal event. Also there was no full length mirror.... would be good to have on the door.

The weirdest thing about our stay was that our room had a door that led to an adjoining room. The door was unlocked and when we opened the door, it led right into the bedroom of the inn owner's teenage son. We had no means of locking the door ourselves. It made us uncomfortable and I really don't see why it should not just be closed up. Also, there was an outlet shaped hole in our room, (mostly) covered by a metal plate but at one point during the day we heard a strange hissing coming from the part that wasn't covered by the metal plate. What was that????

Breakfast was very good and portions were plentiful. We were there for a Sunday morning and luckily ate before the rush because it got PACKED in there. We had to do an old school checkout and turn in the key and hand over a credit card to pay. I can't remember the last time I had to do that! Not complaining, just thought it was amusing.

Overall, it suited our needs and the price was right, but only in comparison to other options in the area. I don't ever see us returning to Pittsfield unless its for another wedding, but with that said I'm not so sure we'd stay there again. Our friends paid $30-$40/night more at Trailside Inn but got the conveniences/amenities we were missing. I didn't realize how much I valued them until they weren't provided. The delicious breakfast included made up for some inconveniences. I understand that this is family owned and operated, they live on site, employ a limited staff and I'm sure have limited resources. You have to respect that they essentially work 24/7, and the staff was great. However, I think they need to take some time/money and invest in a few upgrades/updates/maintenance that make traveling a little less weary for us high maintenance gals ;-). Oh, and get that adjoining door situation addressed!

Room Tip: If you need a full tub shower because of children or other issues I would make sure you mention it...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank litchic521
Ronkonkoma
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Not sure what it is, but this place always delivers great memories. The fact that you never spend any money on breakfast except for the tip just adds to a great value . Nice people, great little community, definitely recommended.

Robert

Room Tip: Ask about specific beds in your room. Limited so not a lot of options
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 11 April 2013

When we walk in to the Swiss Farm Inn, whether it has been a year or more since our last visit, it is like coming home. Our entire family of 19, ranging in age from 13 to the 80s, look forward to waking up to the smell of bacon sizzling. After the World's Best Breakfast and a day of skiing at Killington, we return to sit by the fire with a bottle of BYOB and thaw out while a full 4 course meal is beign prepared. We are never disappointed with the food nor the company from Roger and Joyce. The rooms are cozy, clean and comfortable. After 10 years, still love coming home to the Swiss Farm.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsfield
Sleep Woodstock Motel
Killington Motel
Killington Motel
#2 of 13 in Killington
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to Swiss Farm Inn? Share your experiences!