“A Treat”
Review of Good Commons

Good Commons
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Good Commons
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
“A Treat”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We felt like family the minute we stepped in the door of Good Commons. Our Labor Day weekend was one of the most memorable we've ever experienced. A great cozy location, plenty of excursions to keep us busy and the food prepared by Chefs April and Matthew were incredible. We hope to be back for other weekends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Like other reviewers, I have to say that stepping off of the Good Bus and into the clean, cozy, comfortable space that is Good Commons was more like being welcomed by an old friend instead of arriving at a B&B or hotel. I attended their Gluten Free Gourmet Getaway weekend, and the care with which the food was prepared -- to be safe for all of us with gluten intolerances -- was amazing. Not only that, but it was delicious and when paired with the multitude of wines specially chosen by the house sommelier, the flavors and textures made meals a series of events to remember.

The atmosphere is one of lazy comfort. Events and outings were offered -- such as cheese tasting, boating or swimming at a local lake, yoga classes and Thai massage classes. But as other reviewers have said, none of these options were more important than doing what your heart led you to do at any given moment. I alternately curled up on a pillow-strewn couch to read, lazed in the sunshine in the back yard, and laughed around the firepit while roasting marshmallows.

Good Commons is like summer camp for adults. I hope to keep in touch with the other "campers" I met and will definitely return to the green mountains -- to hostess Tessa and Chef Matthew's great care -- as soon as I can!

Room Tip: the Loft is an option for those who want to save some money -- you share this space with other trave...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Our family rented the entire house for 5 nights during Christmas and New Years. (12 adults 2 children) and had a fantastic time. This house is perfect if you want to relax and hangout together, or do your own thing. Plenty of clean bathrooms and bedrooms for everyone, great big kitchen island to sit/stand around for eating and talking, and hugh dining room table for big suppers. Chef Bonnie and Tesha, the owner, put together a great NYE dinner of fillet roast, vegetables, salad etc. which rivaled any top restaurant. Al, from across the street at the Salt Ash Inn invited our group to stop in at his property's NYE party...we had a blast.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I was very lucky to secure a spot on a Yoga + Knit retreat held at Good Commons aka GC. The Good Bus picked us up and I could tell as soon as I got on the bus this was going to be a very relaxing and wonderful weekend. The bus driver was very courteous and carefule and our chef for the weekend sent some goodies down with the bus to feed us, who does that? Good Commons does!!
As you walk in to you immediately feel a sense of visiting a nice warm and cozy home, except bigger, I can describe the feeling as "I felt I walked in my friends grandmothers home." My room was clean, cozy and warm with just enough space for 2 people, my bed was medium firm and I had a choice of soft or firm pillow I rotated of course. This is my first stay at a B&B and I knew the bathrooms would be shared and I didnt have any issue with that but it seemed some rooms had there own wash room, that was a good set up. There were several bathrooms available and they were all clean. Living room was very cozy and I liked the fact that there was a variety of seating, wooden chairs, straw chairs, a sofa, chairs, some floor cushions, and even a floor rug, no matter what kind of seat your bottom likes this living room offered. I took a peak up in the loft room that houses 7-8 beds and that seemed very cute and cozy, oh heck this whole place is cute and cozy!

THE BEST PART of the retreat is Chef Matt, he is amazing and even more importantly he uses fresh local organic ingredients. Food no longer tastes the same once you come back home. Yes! He is that good... I thought I was a very good cook but chef matt would kick my {...} if we got in a Iron Chef competition. If you plan on staying here pay the extra $ to hire him you will not regret it.

I'm a bit surprised at the so-so review previously written, I guess some people arent as flexible or understanding as others. I saw no torn screens and I forgot my indoor shoes at home and decided to walk around barefoot and my feet did not get dirty at all, cake icing in the first aid kit, well some guests like to be a little silly. I remember when I was a kid I used to unscrew the salt tops at restaurants so when the next guest went to use salt they get a little surprise, again I will mention I was kid.

My only and very small problem was that the walls were thin, I had room 1 which is next to the living room loft and some guests woke up early in the morning and I can hear them thru the walls talking, but lucky me I think ahead, I always carry a pair of ear plugs in my travels and the next morning I didnt hear a thing.

Room Tip: If you need your restroom request a room that has one or near one. Bedroom 1 is next to living room...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I have to say I'm surprised at the raves for this property...when we arrived at Good Commons we discovered dirty floors, torn screens in the windows/doors, a full compost bin in the kitchen, cake icing in the first aid kit (which we actually needed!), a dirty deck/tables, and a whole lot more. The pictures on the website were a bit misleading.

The experience might be different/better for a hosted event, but I would not rent this again for a group get-together.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank ejc518
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I really can’t recommend this place enough for anyone in search of a quiet, relaxing East Coast getaway. I visited Good Commons for their Labor Day Food, Wine, and Rejuvenation Retreat which lucky for me, also fell on my birthday. I was in the market for an affordable weekender that didn’t require a ton of planning, but had all the makings for a memorable, pampered adventure. After checking out the Good Commons website upon the recommendation of a good friend, I was confident I’d found exactly what I was looking for. The fact that all I had to do was show up at a convenient Midtown Manhattan location and “get on the bus” was a major selling point. The retreat package was all-inclusive: food, lodging, activities, AND roundtrip transportation from New York City. Can’t beat that!

Guests hop aboard the Good Bus, a veggie oil powered jitney, stocked with homemade munchies and various wines chosen by the weekend’s sommelier, for what amounts to a mobile wine tasting drive from the Big Apple to the Green Mountains. A mere 5 hours later, we were greeted by one of the most amazingly warm and generous women I’ve ever met in my entire life, GC's owner and hostess, Tesha Buss. She lights up a room on impact and immediately makes you feel like her casa es su casa. A champagne toast kicked things off, followed by a light dinner and 'welcome circle', where we all introduced ourselves and set our intentions for the days ahead.

They have plenty of activities on tap throughout the weekend: hiking; cheese making, glassblowing, & brewery tours; music festivals; picnicing & paddleboating at the nearby lake; yoga classes; and so much more. But one of the things I like best about Good Commons is, you can choose to partake in everything under the sun or absolutely nothing at all. The vibe is so relaxed, you’re under no pressure to do anything other than what your heart prompts. You can curl up with a good book in the hammock or soak in the jacuzzi all day. I nestled into a bench on the hill with my journal, writing and listening to music, and later went for a solo nature walk.

They also had a masseuse on-call for the weekend, so I scheduled a private massage in the healing arts loft. Soooo nice. Wi-fi is available if you just can’t tear yourself away from your laptop. I frankly liked the fact that cell service is quite limited in the area, and took the opportunity to just completely unplug. There is a house phone for guests if you need it.

If you’re feeling more active and social, jump aboard the Good Bus and they’ll whisk you off to the day’s scheduled outings along with the other fabulous guests, many of which have since become good friends who I regularly keep in touch with.

The best part is, of course, the FOOD and for their F, W, & R getaways in particular, Good Commons pulls out all the stops. Breakfasts were a mouth-watering buffet of handmade pastry treats, baked egg dishes, local artisanal bacon or sausage, with bottomless pitchers of fresh juices and coffee, served at the long family-style table. Dinners were substantial four-course meals with wine pairings, on both Saturday and Sunday night. Yes, TWO nights of multi-course gourmet dining! The first night's feast was orchestrated by GC's resident chef, Matthew Wexler, and the second night was prepared by a visiting chef, April Stamm (who I later found out are both culinary school grads who trained under by Bobby Flay at Mesa Grill). They each planned really unique menus and used the best of Vermont’s seasonal, local ingredients. It was “farm to table” in the truest sense of the term. Though I was completely stuffed, I didn't want a bite to go to waste!

After the last course, we made our way out to the back deck, nightcaps in hand. Smores were roasted around in the fire pit and hilarious storytelling ensued, until the evening slowly wound down into quiet fireside conversations and killer stargazing. Around 2 am, I tip-toed through the maze of a house, and slipped peacefully off to sleep, feeling more like I was visiting a good friend's house for the weekend, rather than a b&b/retreat.

It was so easy to get in the relaxing groove and all the chaos of NYC quickly felt a million miles away. Yep, choosing this place as a vacation destination is a no-brainer. I felt very comfortable visiting as a single woman, without knowing anyone in advance. It was quite an eclectic group - couples, singles, 20-somethings to 60-somethings, artists and business-types alike. A good mix. I highly recommend this little Vermont gem!

Room Tip: Check their website/FB because they often offer discount promos. Try to get the private room with st...
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank eyeforstyle
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have been to Good Commons two times now. Both stays were perfection. Tesha and Matthew make you feel at home. The location is picturesque, the food is outstanding and the vibe is always light and welcoming.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Good Commons? Share your experiences!