“Full of mold, mildew and filthy”
Review of Ladd Brook Inn

Ladd Brook Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pownal
“Full of mold, mildew and filthy”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have had better accommodations in third world countries. The condition of the room was appalling. The floors were so dirty and stained we didn't want to walk barefoot. The toilet operated intermittently. Tile was missing from the bathroom walls and there was mold and mildew. the place smelled awful. The managers knew nothing of the surrounding area, and served the SAME six croissants each morning along with something they referred to as coffee but tasted like dishwater mixed with coffee grounds. There is no price that would make this a worthwhile stop!

Room Tip: Stay someplace else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Zak G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend travelling from Canada, found this beautiful place on the way and we really liked it. Very warm welcome by staff, queen room was very nice and cozy. Beautiful view from room. Great place to stay... Will return!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken1034900
Aledo, Texas
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We got there beautiful scenery . It was snowing and they had not turned on the heat and temp in room was 50 degrees. The room was clean however it was a non smoking room and it smelled like someone had smoked several packs.
For the price it was awesome. We have paid more and got worse. They had no breakfast, coffee pots as stated in post. The 2 nd and third morning there they did not clean room nor make bed, they only brought in more towels.
All that is so minor. The scenery and room is wonderful for the price. The view out the bathroom window was beautiful .

• Stayed November 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at the Ladd Brook Inn on a beautiful fall weekend in the Berkshires. Many of the motels in the area are dated, and the Ladd Brook Inn is no exception. The owners were very polite, but the motel was definitely in need of repair. We had a few spiders in our room, which we didn't appreciate. If you stay here, avoid the jacuzzi suite and get a standard room. The water was cold, and the view in the other rooms is much better. Also, bring your own breakfast!

Room Tip: Avoid the jacuzzi!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The motel is in a beautiful setting and there is plenty of seating outside to enjoy the fall views and the tranquillity. The reception area is quaint but very welcoming and the owner dealt with our party very efficiently. The room was large and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean. The motel is along a main route but the traffic noise did not disturb us.
Overall the motel was satisfactory and quite inexpensive. Great stay for the price we paid, considering similar motels in the town were charging twice as much.
The motel is in an area about 2 miles from the town and you need a car to get to restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Room with a Mountain View
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My check in was delayed because, I was told, the prior occupant of Room 5 had not returned the key. I think they simply lost it. From my experience at this hotel, they are serious losers. Here's a list of the other things they lost - which I doubt had been taken by the prior customer:: 1-all the hardware that connects the bed frame to the headboard - so any movement of the bed resulted in loud banging against the wall - you know, like your worst motel nitemare, if you were in an adjoining room. 2-The glass in the bathroom window (fortunately, there was a storm window I could put down to keep the cold out. Somewhat. 3- all the stuffing in the pillows - both of them - the other two pillows were entirely lost. 4- Any firmness in the mattress. My back is still complaining 3 days later. 5-The thermostat on the mini-fridge, which in just a few hours transformed a bottle of wine into a stickless winesicle (which I left for the next sorry tenants of this pathetic excuse of a room to help obscure it's shortcomings. 6-The towel bar. The bracket to hold it was there, but the bar was not. 7- Any control over caulk application in the tub; it looks like there was a shoot-out with Rediwhip, which then hardened. 8-A muffler on the 60's vintage alarm clock - although perhaps it's operating concept is to simply prevent sleep, instead of waking you from it.
The one thing this road-side motel did not lose was my reservation. I wish they had. I'd have been better off sleeping in the car - or virtually anywhere else. The view on our way out was nice, though - as was the sense of relief that we didn't have to spend one more second there. We passed on the included breakfast - fearing what might they might have lost in that department.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel. Definitely avoid room 5. a corner room, completely oriented away from th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SageTravellor

Travellers are raving about these Pownal hotels

MA
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I had a reservation through Hotels.com that I tried to change due to death in the family. Hotels.com talked with the hotel on Aug. 4th and he told me they agreed to change my reservations without a fee. Two days later my credit card was charged for the full amount. I called hotels.com and they said that I had to talk with Ladd Brook directly. They denied ever talking to Hotels.com and said that Hotels.com had billed me and I needed to get my money back from them. Hotels.com says they are not the billing source, Ladd Brook Inn is and they should refund my money. So I am stuck with a bill for a room that I didn't stay in. I have since cancelled my future reservation with this hotel and will not ever stay there--especially after reading reviews like "stay in you car instead". Had I read those first, I would never have made a reservation at this shoddy business.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank M.J. N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pownal
Green Valley Motel
#6 of 13 in Williamstown
Bennington Motor Inn
Bennington Motor Inn
#7 of 8 in Bennington

Been to Ladd Brook Inn? Share your experiences!