“Couldn't have been better”

Golden Stage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 13 June 2011

A friend and I just got back from a weekend at the Golden Stage Inn and we're already talking about going back. It was everything I look for in a B&B - interesting old house with modern amenities (including wireless), pleasant rooms (not overly fussy and frilly) with comfortable beds and good water pressure in the shower, plenty of privacy, and most importantly, warm and friendly hosts that really make you feel at home and are excellent and generous cooks. The food far exceeded what most B&Bs offer, with both baked treats and a delicious hot breakfast with your personal tastes (likes/dislikes, allergies, etc) accommodated. Advice on restaurants and activities is offered, but if you wanted total privacy with no conversation, I have no doubt you'd be just as comfortable here. The price is very reasonable, and the location is great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 May 2011

I stayed with my 9 year-old son, and had such a wonderful time! We were there to ski @ Okemo during President's Day weekend. Julie could not have been a better hostess! She even had us look at the photos of the rooms online so that my son could choose between the 2 rooms she had available, to have room he wanted to stay in. While there, he hit it off with their daughters, and enjoyed playing with them. There were books, magazines, puzzles and games available in the 'living room' area, including many "parlor games". We even brought back pizza one night, and enjoyed it in front of the fireplace.
The breakfasts were REALLY good, and they accommodated with my picky-eater son. The granola, yogurt with honey from their bees, fruit, etc... and then a hot entree too! Soup on weekend nights was a great treat... wonderful after a full day of skiing.. we just came back and enjoyed it without having to go out again.
I will highly recommend this B&B to everyone I know who is going to Okemo and needs a place to stay. It is an easy 10 minute drive, through town, to the mountain. We will look forward to going back next winter!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2011

When my wife and I arrived at this charming old inn, we were warmly greeted by our hosts, Julie & Mike Wood, who made us and the rest of our family feel special for the next three days. Our rooms was charming and pristine. We were wonderfully spoiled with scrumptious breakfasts and, after a day of skiing, delicious afternoon soups, homemade breads, and hot cider, that warmed the cockles. And don't miss the "bottomless cookie jar"! Every day was a new adventure in culinary delights, lovingly prepared by our hosts.
In addition, to make our stay special at their inn, they suggested excellent restaurants and made reservations for us.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I have been delaying my review of this inn because I wanted to keep it all to myself. However, after much sole searching I realized it would be unfair to all those traveling to the OKEMO area who might not be aware of this fabulous inn. Forget about the motels and hotels in town and treat yourself to a fine comfortable stay that offers a terrific breakfast. THIS is where you want to stay!

This is a GREAT place, with accommodations offered at a GREAT price with GREAT folks making your stay the best it could be.

The innkeepers, Mike and Julie, along with their two daughter and Nellie the dog are the best. I felt like I was staying with old friends given the warm welcome I received upon entering the front door. These are awesome folks that only added to the charm of this inn. They are most accommodating and friendly people that will make your stay memorable. I especially enjoyed sharing a beer and wonderful conversation with both Mike and Julie after a full day of skiing. Their girls are delightful and Nellie was a true pleasure to be around. Mike has excellent culinary skills ( for an ex accountant :) ) and Julie holds her own baking amazing cookies and breads. Suffice it to say you won’t find the same quality of food at other locations that promote “continental breakfasts”. Don’t short change yourself, check this place out.

So don’t delay my friends. Make tracks to the Golden stage Inn and see for yourself. You won’t regret it and you will not find a better place for the money. Enjoy! John

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2011

From the moment I walked thew the front door and was greeted by hosts Julie and Mike I new my weekend would be special.
Since I was traveling alone Julie had suggested the Stage coach room on the first floor.
It could not have been cozier.The room and bath were perfect and the antique bed was so conformable I slept like a baby all three nights.
Every morning a delicious full breakfast that included fresh muffins or sticky buns, fruit salad, granola, eggs,meat great coffee etc, every thing is homemade.
Every evening you can help yourself to the crock full of hot mulled cider and bottomless cookie jar.
Saturday night is Mikes chocolate cake night who could resist, it was to die for.
The Inn is charming, each night I sat in the living room by the fire and felt perfectly at home.
Julie and Mike are warm,kind and helpful and wonderful Inn keepers.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our first trip to Okemo. We had never stayed in a Bed & Breakfast before but thought we'd give it a go. Boy are we glad we did. The Golden Stage Inn was wonderful, made even more so by the inn keepers, Mike and Julia and their wonderful family, Sam, Sadie, and Nellie. We learned that they had just purchased the inn from the previous owners only 7 weeks prior, and you never would have known. They were total pros, tended to our every need, and made us feel more than welcome in their home.

There were fresh made cookies and hot cider waiting for us every day after we got home from the slopes. We never felt like strangers or even visitors. The best compliment I can give is that it was like going home every day after skiing. It wasn't like staying in a lodge or hotel, it really was like we were going to our home. Except that breakfast was far superior at the Inn. From eggs Florentine to baked stuffed french toast with fresh blueberries and strawberries, homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch, fresh fruit, and the most amazing bacon we've ever had. We would spend most of our day talking about how wonderful breakfast was.

The only caution I would throw out there is the size of the shower. At least in our room, if you are of a larger variety, you probably will have a tough time fitting in the shower stall. Now, it was a private bath, so we didn't have to share, and I'm sure sizing is a consideration in that case, so it's just a caution to anyone out there who's overly large. Otherwise, the water pressure was fantastic and there was more than enough hot water.

Due to our wonderful experience at the Golden Stage Inn, we're more than likely to stay at other b&b's on future ski trips to other areas. However, when we go back to Okemo, there's only one place we will stay, and that's the Golden Stage Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
goldenVT, Owner at Golden Stage Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Please note: The entire bathroom in this particular guest room has been fully renovated and the shower is now wonderfully spacious! Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 6 March 2011

This inn is in just the right location -- nestled among some of my favorite attractions in southern Vermont -- with Killington, the Bridgewaters, Woodstock (including Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP), and the famous Vermont Country Store (original and outlet) within a pleasant drive.

The inn itself is just the right size -- bigger than most B&Bs I've stayed in, with plenty of room to stretch out and a few other guests to meet, but still small enough to feel quite cozy.

The food is just right -- a balance between healthy and scrumptious. A nice breakfast with plenty of fruit and yogurt, but also a bottomless cookie jar!

And the new hosts have just the right balance of continuing the traditions that put this inn on the map while bringing their own touches. Their warmth and attentiveness ensure a lovely experience in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Proctorsville
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Inn Victoria
Inn Victoria
#1 of 9 in Chester

Been to Golden Stage Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!