“charming bed and breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Putney
Hickory Ridge House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Putney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2006

stumbled onto this bed and breakfast after driving into vermont from manhattan. couldn't reach anything except a recording machine when we called, so with no other accomodation for the night and evening approching, drove out to the house

beautiful country. beautiful house. very quiet down a country lane. The inn keeper was very nice and showed me a room she had available (the peach room), with another room on the other side of the bath, perfect for my son.

We spent the night. magical in that it is an old house with creaky floors and crisp new england air. the inn was quiet but inviting, a nicely presented breakfast and light conversation with other guests and the inn keeper in the morning.

after breakfast we took a walk and overall a very nice find

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
There are newer reviews for Hickory Ridge House Bed & Breakfast Inn

Reviewed 1 August 2006

I stayed at this bed and breakfast as part of a business trip in May of 2006. While it isn't the most luxurious of inn's, it is quite charming and very quaint. I love when things have a story behind them, and this place just seemed like it wanted to spill its story out of every window. Its located on a beautiful plot of land and was simply breath taking. The morning mist made it all the more spectacular.

Sadly, the memory card in my camera died on my and I lost all my photos. However, take my word for it, it is a lovely place.

If you are looking for top of the line, luxury, this isn't the place for you. It's older and a tad worn. But if you appreciate a step back, it's probably just what you are looking for.

The inn is very clean and well kept. However, because of it's age, its tends to be a little noisier. Which, like I mentioned, since I was on a business trip, really didn't bother me much as I was up and out very early.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely return for a personal trip in a heart beat. I truly fell in love with Hickory Ridge and would love to visit again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I was worried after I saw the very critical review from one user on TripAdvisor, but found my stay very pleasant and relaxing.

The furnishings upstairs were a bit sparse, but that's in line with the beautiful restored Federalist architecture. Some of the pieces were antiques, some were not. Downstairs is beautifully decorated with plenty to explore and appreciate. The many books and posters/paintings scattered throughout the house were very eclectic; at least on the books, I suspect they bought whatever was on the 50 cent shelf. The whole house was sparkling clean.

Our room was chilly when we arrived; the host recommended we take the electric radiator out of the closet and hook it up, and he would turn up the house heat a bit. After that the temperature was fine. The bed was incredibly comfortable- I think there was a featherbed on top of the mattress. I found the bathroom to be thoughtfully done- cotton swabs and cotton balls, a hair dryer, fluffy towels, Tom's of Maine toothpaste- almost anything one could want.

The innkeepers are very friendly and willing to advise on restaurants and attractions, but can also take a hint when guests aren't feeling as sociable. The inn is located about 5 minutes down the road from the center of Putney, which has a lot of artist's galleries to explore. The inn also has a nice piano with many books of music available to guests.

I was still hungry after the fruit and hot entree at breakfast, but there was a sideboard with breads one day and cereal the next to allow guests to fill up. The hot entrees were satisfactory, but not amazingly good. Saturday's "afternoon tea" was hot water and teabags with a plate of yummy cookies set out; I don't know if usually it's a bigger deal if more people are staying or if people specially mention wanting Tea. I forgot to mention my interest in Tea, so I feel lucky there was cookies and hot water at all.

Overall, a very pleasant stay; there was room for improvement, but nothing vital was done poorly.

• Stayed: February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed 14 January 2006

Hickory Ridge House has allegedly been “transformed” from a medium-priced inn to a "luxury" one. Sadly, the only transformation is in the prices - they now range from $165 to over $300. At these prices, it's just not worth it.
At the old price range (which is still listed on this site) it was an OK value. Now it is just a very expensive, run-of-the-mill inn. The rooms are bland, with few of the antiques and personal touches one would expect at this level. Signs of cost cutting abound, like the discount store ear swabs in the bathroom, (can't afford real Q-Tips? Give me a break) and the smallish breakfast. Oh, and there’s a mere 1-hour window for that smallish breakfast. At most luxury inns the hosts ask when you’d like to eat and accommodate you, not expect you to accommodate them. Not very gracious.
Cleanliness is uneven - beds are clean (thankfully) but some windows appear to have been last washed a few years ago. None of these things are so terrible, and at a normally priced place I might not even mention them. But at the prices they're now charging, it's unacceptable. A very poor value.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 9 November 2004

We first stayed at the Hickory Ridge House last winter, and went back this past week. A lovely, historic house. We stayed in a different room each time - each had its own charms. The hosts were terrific, and really took good care of us. Our only dilemma - whether to stay in the house all day - relaxing either in our own room or the common rooms - or spend all day traveling around Putney, Brattleboro etc. That's why we came back - so we could do both!

• Stayed: January 2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putney
Chesterfield Inn
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Comfort Inn & Suites Brattleboro
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
The Putney Inn
The Putney Inn
#2 of 6 in Putney

Been to Hickory Ridge House Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!