“Beautiful, wondeful, unsurpassable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Putney
Hickory Ridge House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Putney B&B and Inns
New York
“Beautiful, wondeful, unsurpassable”
Reviewed 30 May 2007

The Hickory Ridge House was an amazing experience. After driving for hours from Manhattan, there's nothing better than being able to relax at a B&B where you will find everything and anything you are looking for.

If you want peace and quiet, the rooms are as accomodating as can be, not to mention functional and utterly clean.

If you want good service, Jill and Dennis are great at making you feel right at home. Breakfast is served at your convenience, a bonfire is ready whenever you ask for it, home made cookies and coffee are always available (and delicious too!), and they are always ready to advice you on places to visit in and around Putney. To top off our visit, for example, they left us a bag with chocolate chip cookies and hot coffee for the road. Simply wonderful!

If you are looking for great scenery then this is the place to come to, also. My girlfriend and I were discussing during the trip the fact that the Hickory Ridge House seemed to be the best located B&B in Putney. It is very close to town, but not on the main road, like all the other ones, so at night you really are "in the middle of nowhere". Plus, the backyard of the house connects with a trail that takes you up to Putney Mountain, where you can find all kinds of fauna and flora along with some great views.

All in all, this was my best experience at a B&B and it was mostly because every detailed was taken care of in a very caring way. I think that was the key to a wounderful Memorial day vacation at the Hickory Ridge House.

• Liked — The service was superb and the house itself seems taken right out of a movie.
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 30 April 2007

We stayed two nights in the old blacksmith's cottage -- very quiet, very charming. We slept in the master bedroom-- we had no problem fitting our three kids in the living room and there was a full separate kitchen as well, which we didn't have time to use. In the morning, excellent coffee and a couple of really amazing breakfasts in the main house -- an egg souffle of some kind was one morning's repast, French toast with home-made maple syrup another. A great place to stay while visiting the Putney School, which is nearby. The B&B seemed a very thoughtful, caring place, run by a couple of ex-pat Brits.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank PvZZZZ
New York, NY
Reviewed 21 February 2007

The Hickory Ridge House B&B is a stunning antique home located in southern VT. Been there twice, most recently under the new ownership. The new owners have added wonderful hospitality and service to an already beautiful home and setting. The room we stayed in had a fireplace which was very romantic. Beds are comfie, place is well decorated and very clean. Owners are extreemly pleasent and helpful. Location is close to some cool spots: in the summer there's lots of hiking and a beautiful running stream only a short walk from the house; in the winter there's Stratton and Mount Snow about 40 minutes away along some of the most beautiful country roads (2 covered bridges on the way to Mt. Snow, just take back roads) as well as lots of snowshoeing and cross country trails right in the back yard.

In the summer, there's Curtis BBQ right in town (about 5 minute drive or a casual stroll) that makes some of the best wood smoked ribs anywhere north or south. Hard to find in New England.

Brattleboro is only a 15 - 20 minute drive so there's lots of cool resturants and bars, as well as quaint shopping if that's your thing.

Asked my lady to marry me at the Hickory Ridge House during my latest stay and while the house is old and it is a B&B, it was plenty private for a romantic experience.

Breakfast was very good, lots of love goes into what these folks do for their guests and we would highly recommend a long weekend stay.

• Liked — House, setting and hospitality from owners.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I was skeptical at first due to the mediocre reviews online. However, I needed a place that would have rooms available during peak foliage for only one night. Much to my surprise the inn was beautiful and the service was fantastic. The new owners who have only owned the inn 4 months run the inn like they have ran it for 20 years. Another couple I met at the inn also were surprised because of the mediocre online reviews at how beautiful the inn was and about the inn's level of service. The couple agreed with me that perhaps the inn used to be mediocre, but the new owners had turned things around. I highly recommend a stay at the Hickory Ridge Inn.

• Liked — Beautiful, charming, good service
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
sacramento california
Reviewed 9 October 2006

stumbled onto this bed and breakfast after driving into vermont from manhattan. couldn't reach anything except a recording machine when we called, so with no other accomodation for the night and evening approching, drove out to the house

beautiful country. beautiful house. very quiet down a country lane. The inn keeper was very nice and showed me a room she had available (the peach room), with another room on the other side of the bath, perfect for my son.

We spent the night. magical in that it is an old house with creaky floors and crisp new england air. the inn was quiet but inviting, a nicely presented breakfast and light conversation with other guests and the inn keeper in the morning.

after breakfast we took a walk and overall a very nice find

• Liked — the inn and surrounding countryside was beautiful. the innkeeper was friendly and accomodating
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2006

I stayed at this bed and breakfast as part of a business trip in May of 2006. While it isn't the most luxurious of inn's, it is quite charming and very quaint. I love when things have a story behind them, and this place just seemed like it wanted to spill its story out of every window. Its located on a beautiful plot of land and was simply breath taking. The morning mist made it all the more spectacular.

Sadly, the memory card in my camera died on my and I lost all my photos. However, take my word for it, it is a lovely place.

If you are looking for top of the line, luxury, this isn't the place for you. It's older and a tad worn. But if you appreciate a step back, it's probably just what you are looking for.

The inn is very clean and well kept. However, because of it's age, its tends to be a little noisier. Which, like I mentioned, since I was on a business trip, really didn't bother me much as I was up and out very early.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely return for a personal trip in a heart beat. I truly fell in love with Hickory Ridge and would love to visit again in the future!

• Liked — It's history
  • Disliked — A little worn
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I was worried after I saw the very critical review from one user on TripAdvisor, but found my stay very pleasant and relaxing.

The furnishings upstairs were a bit sparse, but that's in line with the beautiful restored Federalist architecture. Some of the pieces were antiques, some were not. Downstairs is beautifully decorated with plenty to explore and appreciate. The many books and posters/paintings scattered throughout the house were very eclectic; at least on the books, I suspect they bought whatever was on the 50 cent shelf. The whole house was sparkling clean.

Our room was chilly when we arrived; the host recommended we take the electric radiator out of the closet and hook it up, and he would turn up the house heat a bit. After that the temperature was fine. The bed was incredibly comfortable- I think there was a featherbed on top of the mattress. I found the bathroom to be thoughtfully done- cotton swabs and cotton balls, a hair dryer, fluffy towels, Tom's of Maine toothpaste- almost anything one could want.

The innkeepers are very friendly and willing to advise on restaurants and attractions, but can also take a hint when guests aren't feeling as sociable. The inn is located about 5 minutes down the road from the center of Putney, which has a lot of artist's galleries to explore. The inn also has a nice piano with many books of music available to guests.

I was still hungry after the fruit and hot entree at breakfast, but there was a sideboard with breads one day and cereal the next to allow guests to fill up. The hot entrees were satisfactory, but not amazingly good. Saturday's "afternoon tea" was hot water and teabags with a plate of yummy cookies set out; I don't know if usually it's a bigger deal if more people are staying or if people specially mention wanting Tea. I forgot to mention my interest in Tea, so I feel lucky there was cookies and hot water at all.

Overall, a very pleasant stay; there was room for improvement, but nothing vital was done poorly.

• Stayed February 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putney
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
#8 of 10 in Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro

Been to Hickory Ridge House Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!