“Quaint Vermont Inn, some rooms better than others”

Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm
Ranked #1 of 6 Quechee B&B and Inns
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Quaint Vermont Inn, some rooms better than others”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My family stayed here for a wedding weekend and they had an incredible time at the inn. The food was great- brunch to dinner - the staff was warm and friendly, and each of my family members and some of the guests were so happy with the rooms.

To the mixed reviews below, I'll note that I think some of the rooms are better than others. The Inn goes through a number of renovations every season to some of the rooms on an ongoing basis, and those renovations showed in many of the rooms where my family and guests stayed. If you can, book Room 24 (the bridal suite) which was absolutely incredible - spacious, full of light in the livingroom, darker in the bedroom (as we liked it) and a nice clean and new bathroom. My sisters loved rooms 10 and 12, which had kings beds though they were slightly darker than some of the other rooms, because of the direction the windows were facing from the sun. Room 9 streams in a beautiful amount of light, and my sister's in-laws were so in love with the "Julia" room that they said that they'll be back at the Inn for a second vacation. Every room is different, and each lends itself to a traveler who's looking for a different experience, so I recommend booking over the phone to talk to the receptionist so that they can match you to a room that fits the experience you're looking for. They were fantastic at helping me reserve some of the rooms.

Room Tip: If you can, book Room 24 (the bridal suite) which was absolutely incredible - spacious, full of ligh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank myracof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sterling, MA
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here on the way back from Montreal so that we could explore the Quechee area. The Inn is on a working farm and had a nice charming personality. The food at the restaurant was outstanding. The duck was absolutely wonderful. The complaint that I have is in regards to cleanliness. There was a lot of dust both in the room and the bathroom, additionally the shower had multiple hairs that were not ours. Otherwise it was a nice stay. Also the mattress while somewhat comfortable was old enough that every move your partner made woke you up.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tgj777
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My stay started out well enough. The room seemed quaint. !9th century furniture. Canopy bed. The lady at the front desk was pleasant. The common room downstairs seemed like a scene out of a house in the Shire. However, the good feelings stopped there. I felt that the food was overpriced, the water pressure in the shower was horrible, the menu and food at dinner was overpriced (as was the wine - $8 for a glass not much larger than a shot glass), not a large selection on the menu, and the housekeeping was sup-par. it was a two-day stay and on my second day I was given towels that were stained (ick) and a passive aggressive hanging note asking me to help them protect the environment by reusing my towels (apparently you aren't supposed to expect clean towels when you are paying for lodging). The second morning I was there I had hoped to sleep in a bit before checking out and I was jarred awake by the sound of doors slamming across the hall and the housekeeping staff moving furniture around and talking loudly. I don't get to travel often and was hoping for a bit more of a positive experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kate B
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stopped here on recommendations from Canadian friends on way through New England after stops in Ogunquit Maine and Boston, Mass to see Quechee Gorge. This inn was pleasant and staff nice and welcoming. Grounds are pretty and although building is old, it is well kept. I think there could be some renovations done to windows. All in all, nice stay and nice staff to give info about beautiful Quechee Gorge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuttonCityLady
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I wish that I had only good things to say about this inn as I feel like it has a lot of potential, but they have many things to work on!

A few of the good things:
1) When we drove up we were excited based on the first impression of the grounds, a large main house surrounded by trees and a bright red barn.
2) The breakfast and staff waiting on us was excellent, wish that all of the customer service had been this great.
3) They told us on check in we were being upgraded to a bigger room as they were not that busy.

Issues that need addressing:
1) No AC in our room – it was advertised on hotels.com that they had AC, but our room did not. When my husband went to the front desk to complain, she told him bluntly “crack a window”. If they do have AC rooms it was not offered to us, nor was a fan. So we cracked a window and quickly left and went to town, as the room was so uncomfortable. I have notified hotels.com that there is not AC as advertised.
2) When we came back later that night we found on closer inspection that two of the windows still had storm windows in place and the other two had no screens. We had to change in the dark and not read for fear that bugs would come in our room with no barrier.
3) Dust –Pulled the blinds down to help protect from bugs and noted the layers of dust. This was on all windows, not just the ones open. Almost like the room upgrade they gave us had not been a room that they had cleaned in awhile and had not prepped for our arrival. We left so quickly earlier that afternoon since the room was so uncomfortable and were not going to wake management up after hours just for this.

We chose this hotel based on the overall rating, but I should have read further. If I had read the curt managers responses to some of the reviews, we never would have stayed here. So to answer their likely response back to us
- Yes we brought the AC to the front desks attentions and they were not helpful and unapologetic.
- The dust, I was not going to wake you up at 11 p.m. to complain about this NOR should I have to bring this to your attention – this is an expectation of any hotel.
- You knew that we had issues; my husband had been outside walking and came in to hear the front staff talk about “What is up with Room #4?” You clearly knew we had complaints and instead of trying to rectify them, you just talked about us instead.

I am a top reviewer for Trip Advisor, travel frequently all over the country, and this is the lowest rating I have ever given a hotel. This was not without thought and I do hope that you fix it as you have potential. Yet if you want guests to return, the hotel should be as advertised and your guest should be able to expect clean rooms. If you choose to respond, would recommend a more professional and apologetic response. Your lack of one in past reviews would have been an immediate strike if I had dug that deep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TXMARTINS
QInkeeper, General Manager at Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
As the General Manager, I was disappointed to read this review of this guests experience here at the Inn. Clearly they are fair reviewers and were kind enough to note the good things about the Inn, and I truly appreciate that.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the poor response from the front desk to their issue with the air conditioning. Unfortunately, as the Innkeeper I cannot always be here and need to rely on my staff to handle guest issues properly when I am not present. That did not happen in this case. We have made it clear in the information about the Inn that we provide to Hotels.com and Expedia that we are a seasonal property and that we have in-window units. Because the winters are so cold here, we obviously cannot leave them in the windows year round. Each year we try to figure out which week in May will be the right time to install them. Once we know it is going to stop dropping below the mid-forties at night, we go ahead and put them in. At the same time we do an annual thorough window-washing and cleaning both inside and out. We repeat the same process in October when we have to try to decide when to take them out. Sadly, had these guests stayed here one week later in May, I know they would have had a very different review and experience because windows and a/c units were done then.
That being said, they weren’t, and we should have been ready to assist the guests by first of all explaining the a/c situation and then seeing if we could get them a fan or at the very least, gone to the room to check for screens. We do have portable screens that can be placed in windows that do not have screens, so it is truly a shame this did not happen. The clerk on duty was not aware that we had those items, and I take responsibility for not having made sure that all of the front desk staff knew we have them. The night they stayed here was indeed a warmer night and we should have done whatever we could to make the room more comfortable. Though I appreciate that they were nice enough to decide not to call me at a late hour, I wish they had, as I would have been aware of their situation at that time and at the very least could have found them screens.
The guest also mentioned that the windows were very dusty, and that should not be. The inner windows should be clean year-round, and I have shared this review with my housekeeping staff because it sure sounds like they weren’t in this case. The windows in this particular room are original to the home built in 1793, so cleaning the outer side of the windows with the storm windows is difficult in the winter, but certainly not the inner parts or blinds.
As they indicate in their review, these guests did bring the issues to our attention and we did not respond in a way that was satisfactory to them. I have tried to contact these guests by phone to apologize in person as I wish for them to know how much I do care about my guests experiences here at the Inn. I think anyone looking at the many great reviews of the Inn can see that the majority of our guests truly have a good stay here, and it pains me that these guests did not. I hope that they would consider returning and giving the Inn another chance and see it as both beautiful on the inside as well as the outside. Because this is a Hotels.com booking I do not have address information to write this guest directly so I hope that they do check back and see this response and contact me.
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The inn has great deal especially if you can go mid week. They have done a lot of renovations and it's difficult due to the age of the building. Staff is always friendly and Michelle at the front is very personable and friendly. We had 2 dinners and our server Lindi was the best. Friendly, beautiful and fun. She was the only person on and did the jobs of bartender, server, bus person and made everyone feel special in spite of all the jobs. We enjoyed it so much that Dory helped us book another day before she went home. We will be back

• Stayed May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had booked this room online this week at the last possible minute for business as it was close to where I needed to be the next morning, and the rate was terrific as it was off-season. When I arrived, the dining area was full and smelled delicious, though I had already eaten. The nice young woman at the front desk said they had plenty of rooms available that night, so they upgraded me to a suite, and it was perfect! Large, clean, newly renovated bathroom, quaint, comfortable queen bed in the bedroom, with a fold-out couch and large seating area in the living room. Even had a mini fridge. Both the living room and bedroom had large flat screen TV's, and were super comfortable, with original exposed beams throughout the suite. A complete hot breakfast is included with the room if you can wait until 8 AM, but it is worth it. I can not recommend this hotel enough, and will certainly be back with my family for a leisure trip soon.

Room Tip: Room 16 was awesome!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quechee
Quality Inn at Quechee Gorge
Fireside Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
The Village Inn of Woodstock
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm? Share your experiences!