“Welcome to Vermont paradise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
Liberty Hill Farm Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Gardiner, New York
“Welcome to Vermont paradise!”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We just got back from a weekend stay at Liberty Hill and we are already planning our next trip. It's hard to pick what we liked best. We went with our 18 month old daughter and 3 year old son. When we arrived, the pack n' play was already set up and the high chair was at the table. Everything was ready for us to relax and enjoy. The food was like a perfect Christmas dinner at every meal. Farmer Beth is a gracious host and talented cook who made us feel welcome. The farm is wonderful for a three year old, with newborn kittens, rubber boots for splashing in puddles, friendly goats who wander around, and all the cows and calves. It was a toddler paradise for our son and the children he befriended from two other families staying at the B&B. The atmosphere is conducive to relaxation and we spent most of the time wandering around the farm at a leisurely pace, investigating all the wonders of farm life. I will be dreaming of the baked ham from the first night and the banana cake with fudge frosting from the second night. And the bacon with breakfast? YUM! Thank you, Farmer Beth, for an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms great for families.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MinivanWarrior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Marion, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My sister and I spent a couple of nights at Liberty Hill Farm in the days leading up to our niece's graduation from UVM. We wanted to spend a little extra time in Vermont and just enjoy nature's bounty and scenery. We couldn't possibly have chosen a better spot! The farm is a real working farm, as other reviewers have stressed, so tractors are going all the time and there was very "organic" mud everywhere. The house was also host to another extended family also going to a UVM graduation, and the combination of Beth & Bob, the people working on the farm, the other family and ourselves made for relaxed and convivial conversation over absolutely delicious meals. (We kept telling Beth we want her to write a cookbook.) I recommend this as a wonderful place to reconnect with nature and to contemplate how we treat animals and how we eat. The music of the cows moos are a pleasure to hear, and there is NOTHING cuter than baby goats.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Lorraine934
columbus
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the farm and wished we could have stayed longer. The farm is ideally located for day trips. The rooms are very clean if a little worn, but you don't visit for mod cons and pristine conditions. You visit to enjoy the farm, countryside and get away frm it all. Our son loved the cats and watching the milking. We loved the learning about the workings of the farm during the excellent dinners. Everyone on the farm was happy to answer questions. Their hospitality made our stay special. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2011
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I stayed at Liberty Hill farm for 4 nights on the first weekend of Oct 2010 with 2 friends of mine.
It was one of the best vacations that I have had. Vermont is so beautiful in the fall. Liberty Hill Farm is situated in a very quiet, beautiful and pristine area.
The hosts, Beth and Bob, are very friendly and lovely. They made my stay so nice that I had a hard time leaving.
Liberty Hill Farm offers a kind of vacation that is very unique and yet it offers such comfort to stay. The place is sparkling clean as everyone has to take off their shoes going into the house and the house is cleaned every day. Every room, from bedroom to bathroom, is very neat. Towels are changed every day although we insisted to re-use them. The meals are exquisite. By the time we finished breakfast and returned to our room, the beds are already made and the towels are changed. That kind of service is unexpected.
What makes the stay at Liberty Hill Farm so special is the atmosphere of the place with very lovely hosts, hosts’ extended family and guests. Everyone talked around the table at breakfast and dinner. We shared stories and talked about day trips. We gathered in the living room in the evening after dinner to watch TV or just to talk. Some of us took walks in the early morning before breakfast and in the evening after dinner. The scenery along the paths is breathtaking. We also had the chance to milk cows, feed calves and visit the barn.
At the end of the trip, I came home feeling richer, getting to know a few nice new friends with whom I have been keeping contact.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed with my extended family at the Liberty Hill Farm in November 2010. We all had a great time, and I think there are a lot of take-away lessons that each of us will have from the experiences there. I think to enjoy your stay you must go with realistic expectations. This is a working dairy farm- this is NOT a sanitized, Disneyfied version of what a farm should be. The smell of manure is everywhere, and people here work hard. You can get as involved or not as you would like. The accommodations are rustic. This is an old farmhouse. The wallpaper is peeling in places, the hot water in the shower is tempermental, the floors and doors creak and squeak. This is all part of the authentic charm. What Liberty Hill Farm allows for is a window into the farming world and lifestyle. Get involved, ask questions- Beth and Tom are extremely accessible, warm, engaging and open. You will learn what really goes on behind the scenes to make the quart of milk you buy in the grocery. You will learn why the single family farm is an endangered species in this country. You will see the daily routine of a farming family. It is a very interpersonal experience that will open your eyes to a world that was totally unknown to me. I highly recommend it if you are open to new things.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Joshdent
chicago
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We found this to be an authentic, charming, very personal close-up of a working dairy farm. The farmhouse is nearly 200 years old, yet very comfortable and cheerful, exuding warmth and family. The setting is picture-perfect Vermont, nestled on the edge of the Green Mountain National Forest with a small river behind the house that guests use for tubing (my husband and son loved that!). What really makes this an experience and not just a bed and breakfast is the family that lives here. Beth and Bob are remarkable people--warm, friendly, welcoming, and intelligent. They are the core of the experience because they enfold you, as if you are visiting a dear relative that you haven't seen in a while. What really stood out for me were the meals--not just the unbelievable quality, but the fact that you sit around the table with the other guests and share real conversation, quickly becoming friends with strangers. Breakfast and dinner (sigh!) is included. Beth made the best ice-cream I have ever tasted, fresh-picked raspberry. It was all I could do to refrain from falling to my knees to beg for seconds! (The only thing that kept me from doing that was the fact that Bob and sons, who work so hard, hadn't yet eaten, and I knew there was only so much, and they deserved it far more than I did.) My family and I learned so much about the people of and life in Vermont and about dairy farming. This was the kind of inside view that is difficult to get from a standard B and B. The more we talked, the more questions I had, and Beth and Bob are enthusiastic teachers. I now have even more respect, admiration, and gratitude for farmers. Activities to do: help out as much or as little as you want in the barn (just ask), tube, bike, hike, sit on the front porch and read, kids like to swing on the tire swing, explore the barn, chase kittens and bottle-feed calves, or you can go into the tiny but charming town of Rochester to sit in their two cafes (both excellent, by the way). We used it as a home base for exploring the area. AFter leaving and going to our next destination, I was struck by the contrast of checking into a very large high-rise hotel with uniformed employees reciting a script, and elevators with TV monitors urging you to enjoy your stay, and to please visit the gift shop. It felt so empty by comparison. ( I was so sad to use non-dairy creamer for the morning coffee, almost symbolic of leaving the dairy farm.)
Caution: Liberty Hill Farm is not for people that prefer larger resorts with carefully orchestrated activities, or who prefer anonymity with the other guests. Also, make sure you bring plenty of allergy medicine if you are prone to hay fever (we suburbanites aren't used to that much hay!)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My little boy and I have stayed at this real working farm 4 summers in a row for a week and love to go there. It is such a warm loving place. Somehow everyone seems to become good friends. We've always gone during school vacations and my only child has made instant friends with other guests, who come from all over,and had great fun playing outside, going down to the river, being with the animals, helping feed calves and admiring the tractors. I love being surrounded by the Green Mountains and the beautiful White River and love my peaceful walks in the early morning. The barn is a red beauty from the ninteenth century and the farmhouse too is a lovely old rambling character filled
The family, who work so hard to produce good milk for the rest of us, are great people. One truly feels welcomed into their busy and meaningful lives.
Breakfast and dinner are family style and cordon bleu delicious,plentiful, varied and wholesome with local ingredients and plenty of jovial and interesting conversation.
This experience has given me so much respect for the hard working and extremely knowledgeable folks who get food onto our tables. Its a privilege to be a welcomed guest
there and I always leave feeling enriched and renewed from within and so does my son who would love to move in there!
My 86 year old mother has stayed there twice with us and loves it there too. She enjoys the renewed memories she has of staying on a dairy farm as a girl and also loves the food and the natural beauty and the kind gracious hospitality of the farmers. Most of all she loves watching the excited , happy children playing outside and telling us about it at dinner. Beth was very helpful with some tricky dietary needs.
We are thankful we lucked into this special place. We were not awoken by any roosters and enjoy the cattle lowing though they are quiet at night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 16 in Woodstock
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Liberty Hill Farm Inn? Share your experiences!