“newly renovated”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Brattleboro, Vermont
“newly renovated”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

stayed here in aug for work and i can say driving by here for years the new owners are puting alot into renvations and it shows..new carpet,i had two different rooms both were not 100% but both had new carpet,bedding and much more..i think this will be great hotel when done..worth the stay

Room Tip: renovation going on aug 14 should all be new in a few months
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The saying "you get what you pay for" is very evident here. I will start with the positive. The beds were very comfortable, it was quiet and there was plenty of hot water.
As for the negatives, the room is run down, towels/sheets were stained and very thin. The toilet was the kind you see in airports, no cover. Tiles were missing and the shower area looked dirty.
The WIFI did not work and when I asked the front desk person, he just gave me a number to call the internet company. So much for customer service!
The complimentary breakfast was limited. I just wanted orange juice and when I drank some it was rancid. I told the front desk person and he said he would take care of it. When I later checked out, I could see the same orange juice in the same container. Well, I guess you get what you pay for! I would not come back again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Receptionist, Bed and pillows were good.
Room not to clean and smelly.
Poor standard breakfast.
But with coupon out of book and calling in with advance, daily rate was $49 making it at least cost effective.

Room Tip: Use coupon to make it worthwhile for 1 night sleep (will come to $49)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pros: The night manager was friendly, efficient and cordial when checking us in [checked in around 10:30PM], convenient location.

Cons: Grab your favorite beverage and a snack because this will take a while...

This has got to be the most ironically named hotel in existence.

The Quality experience begins after getting our keys at check in and parking along the side of the motel. We are stared down [at length, like we've invaded their turf] by 5 or so hillbilly crackheads giggling, cackling, and wringing their hands outside one of the lower rooms. Trucker hats, stained tank tops and bad teeth are the apparent dress code. There were so many people there I got the impression they either lived there or had rented the place for a hard drug party for the night as I heard people come and go throughout the evening. Granted, the place can't pick its guests but the property had the aura of "crackheads welcome".

Unlock the door with our key [second floor access by inside the hotel only, which is a small plus as I would have barricaded the door if we were on the first floor] to be greeted by carpeting that was last vacuumed sometime in the mid 80's. Hair, straw, gunk, and who knows what else is piled high everywhere the eye can see. We are greeted by a large 6" circumference dark stain at the top of the stairs which to my eye is blood. I'm not a detective, but hey I read a lot of Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher novels. Definitely looks like blood, and even if it's not I think a giant bleach stain would make the carpet look more inviting and would at least reassure guests that cleaning products are in fact stocked on property and used occasionally.

As I write this review, I see someone else has posted that it passed the "barefoot test" for them [taking shoes off walking barefoot on carpet]...are you sure this is the same property?? Never did we come close to walking barefoot, and we slept all night with clothes on--that's a first for me, and I have stayed in some dives. Opened the mini fridge to be greeted with a half drunk quart of the last guest's milk and an opened bottle of water. The complementary beverages look delicious, but I think I'll pass.

Shower head is encrusted with rust and calcium stains and is harshly lit with flickering fluorescent bulbs. I am starting to feel like the lead in a horror movie. Towels are grayish, fraying, pilled, and look like what I wipe my wheels and doorjambs down with. There is one bar of soap, packaged in plastic, but I'm still nervous to use it. As I sit on the edge of the cardboard-esque mattress to contemplate my options, the opposite side almost stands up. The word "Quality" is far from the one I'm thinking of at the moment.

Walk out onto the patio to survey the scene from above and check on our cars--still in one piece, all good, but there is still that same Subaru Outback parked running in the lot that there has been for the last 20 minutes, kinda creepy. When he sees me come out, he takes off hastily. Makes you feel good about what goes on in that lot on a regular basis. As if to read my mind and validate this feeling, a State Trooper cruising the main drag sees me standing on the balcony from afar and comes tearing into the parking lot, stopping right below me to check out "the situation". Sorry Statey, but the meth heads are downstairs and a little further up but you're close...don't give up!

Turn on the TV, no channel has a clean picture and all of them have fantastically different volumes, either too quiet to hear or so loud you're liable to wake up the axe murderer staying in the room next to you. Crackheads are clearly heard standing outside their door giggling and cackling maniacally for hours on end. Finally fall asleep and am awoken around 8:00AM by a table saw in the parking lot for renovations going on next door. Cock a Doodle Doo the Quality Way!

Booked the next night at Hampton Inn [which was full when we tried to book before]--and it felt like a Ritz-Carlton after this night's experience. You heard it here first, kids--the Hampton Inn is heretofore christened the "Rutland Ritz".

If you are going to Rutland or the beautiful areas surrounding and want a non-disgusting/possibly terrifying stay, I'd pass on the Q. If, however, you are an up and coming actor studying to be "suspect John #1" or "crackhead #4" for your big break with CSI, this might be a Quality experience for you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank VentoGT
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2014

90+ Individual Choice Hotels thus far 2014: Passes bare foot test (willingness to walk on carpet in bare feet) 3rd floor corridor rather dark, they were retro-fitting 3rd floor on one wing. The hotel had a strange smell maybe just old mixed with new construction. Breakfast standard Quality Inn fare, front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Across the road from Vermont State Fair Grounds;

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Upon arrival, the gentleman at the front desk was extremely nice, and we had no problems with our reservation. The pool was immediately adjacent and looked clean, although we did not use.

Our room was a great location for us - downstairs, right next to an entrance.

Notes on the room:

Carpets looked clean, no bugs or debris noted. Beds seemed ok - Mom checked for bed bugs, she didn't see any :)

Bathroom could have been cleaner - saw some hair that didn't belong to us, ew. A little short on towels - I'll never understand why hotels give you 2 towels when 2 adults are registered. Sigh.

Weird part? We had a door directly to the outside - we could not enter through it, unless someone let you in, as it did not have key access. But, while it had a deadbolt, so I did not feel unsafe, you could see daylight around the entire door. So while we were here in July, I would not want to be there in January when the cold would seep in.

Location was great. We walked to Panera, directly next door, for some dinner, and there was a LOT of other options. There is a mall area right down the street, but we didn't want to get back in the car after a full day of travel.

Overall, I think it was the right price (AAA discount and rewards card made it ~$80 on a Saturday night) and felt safe (lots of families, but not noisy). I'd go back if I was in the neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here the first week of May and found the hallway / outer door aspect very interesting in a good way. Quiet overall with no problems and staff walking the property inside and out. Very reassuring! Nice decor in progress and once they get this place totally renovated it will be well worth the money. Enjoyed my stay with many restaurants nearby and this motel just off main drag very close to Interstate.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room or at least one close to the front desk
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo