“Great food and great lunch special prices!”
Review of East Asian Cuisine

East Asian Cuisine
Ranked #19 of 116 Restaurants in Rutland
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went here with my family for lunch on a Saturday and ordered a lunch special of shrimp with vegetables for only $6.50! Not only was the food great but the service was excellent and the free tea with our meal was certainly a nice treat. My favorite part was the option of brown rice with the lunch specials versus traditional white rice. We were also served soup and fried noodles with our lunch specials. Very fancy place and well dressed staff. Sad to be moving out of the area because I would definitely visit more often if I was staying around.

1  Thank MxPxchik5

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I've seen a number of restaurants pass through what was originally built as a Bonanza Steak House back when the defunct and almost forgotten Rutland Mall was first built here approximately 45 years ago; this is the first that would tempt me into driving to what is an out - of - the - way location for all but the mountain and ski crowd.

A friend and I stopped by on a spur of the moment late lunch after spending the day in Rutland for business. Arriving at 3:05 P.M., we unfortunately missed the luncheon menu [11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.] which looks both varied and reasonably priced on paper, and had to order from the full dinner menu. Business was light, as we were 1 of 4 occupied tables. The restaurant is appropriately named, as dishes ranged from Cantonese to Singapore, Hunan to Mandarin, and Vietnamese to Japanese [including sushi and sashimi; teriyaki, tempura, and udon; and even bento boxes].

Friend was hungry, so he ordered a full meal: soup, appetizer, and entrée. I was less so, and ordered just soup and an entrée.

We both started with a staple hot and sour soup, which was not so standard. The spices had been toasted and had the slight char flavor normally missing anywhere outside of a good sized Chinatown's locals' restaurant. Even more pleasing was that it had the authentic heat that catches the back of your mouth and throat, something I've only found in Hawai'i and San Francisco, and only then in restaurants catering to immigrant and first generation Chinese. Friend then had a boneless barbecue pork appetizer: the pork was a good sized portion cut thin instead of chunked, without any fat or gristle at all, and finished with a very flavorful glaze instead of a thick sauce. The spices were not standard, and I could not identify all of them by taste. However, it was tempting enough that I regretted not getting a second order for myself.

Friend's entrée was one I've never seen before named "Crispy Pork." This came our as a large portion of what I assumed was char sui from its appearance, until I sampled it. The pork was lightly coated with lotus flour's shy cousin, very lightly crisped, and then glazed with an off-sweet light sauce. As with the other dishes, the spices were not the standards one runs into at all Americanized Chinese restaurants, truly exotic and very satisfying. Accompanied by the ubiquitous steamed broccoli and white rice, it was still unique and my friend was extremely satisfied.

For my entrée, I ordered the "Singapore chow mei fun," and received something only distantly related to the normal dish. Thin Chinese noodles were blanched and the tossed in a wok with the restaurant's house version of "curry powder;" again, outside of the normal flavor range. The noodles were then stir fried with a variety of julienned vegetables, shrimp, chicken, egg, and fried tofu, and herbed with cilantro, parsley, and what friend and I have since decided must have been a mint varietal. Very tasty and satisfying, with a portion size which provided a full second meal at home.

The final tally, excluding drink and tip, came to an extremely reasonable $40.00.

[Note: There are some menu items I found to be extremely pricey based upon my experience, including Thai - based lettuce wraps served as an entrée rather than the normal appetizer portion and, surprisingly, the Pad Thai entrées. Sushi was reasonable by the piece, but more expensive by the meal combo. And if you're looking for the inexpensive standard Chinese combination plates? Don't. There isn't a single one on the menu outside the lunch specials.]

My one warning is that the waitstaff on duty 'spoke' English as very definitely a second language. When ordering, speak slowly, clearly, and simply. We just avoided what would have been 'interesting' language errors. They are very polite and attentive, trying very hard. But, I have visions of the possible results if the positions were reversed and I was the one attempting to communicate via Mandarin - it would not have been pretty! Subsequently, I have a great respect for their hard work dealing with the language difference!

Due to the menu set-up, I believe that this would be a very good place for a large family or group of friends to visit: everyone orders a different dish and you could happily pass them around.

I'm already planning a return visit with a larger party!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I were at this restaurant today with about eight others. I was the only one that ordered the maki rolls. My husband had vegetable low mein. Others in the group had various lunch specials which were sweet and sour chicken, beef with broccoli, etc... more the typical fare of a fast food Chinese restaurant. Everyone was happy with their meals, but personally I think I made the best choice. The "Dynamite" maki roll I had was excellent. (Made with fresh tuna & shrimp". My entrée came with miso soup but they allowed me to have hot & sour soup instead. Others had wanton soup and egg drop soup. All the soups were delicious. I was not impressed at all with the salad that came with my meal. It was a small plate of iceberg lettuce with a few strips of red pepper and a peanut type of dressing which I did not find pleasant.
All in all, it was a step up from a fast food Chinese spot and a step down from a place called "Single Pebble" in Burlington - a very good gourmet Chinese restaurant with stellar chefs.
The waiter was professional and very nice.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are several "chinese" restaurants in Rutland, but this one is probably the best we have. The food is fresh and everything doesnt taste like it came out of the same pot. The house fried rice is worth a try!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This continues to be our favorite place for Chinese food. Always good and the service very very good! I love the crab rangoons! They are very courteous and we enjoy our meal every time!

1  Thank bhonoreh