“Zero hospitality, poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Rutland B&B and Inns
ny
“Zero hospitality, poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

The biggest gripe is with the service when we needed to check out. I had the room for 1 night with my fiance, I was in Rutland for an job interview in the morning. I was running late and didn't get a chance to call back to tell the staff until about noon, but couldn't really understand the lady(there was an elderly Indian woman and man that were there, not sure if they are the owners or what..) Come to find out when I talked to my fiance when I got back at 2 is they kicked her out of the room at 11. The maid came to try and clean at 9:30, then 10:30, then the man came at 11, was rude and told her she had to go, watching her pack up, telling her to turn off the tv, etc.. So she went to wait in the office until I got back, and the man continued to berate her and scold her and basically make her feel like crap and in so many words made it clear he didn't want her waiting in the small office/lobby. So she had to wait outside in the Vermont winter for two hours until I got back. The whole ordeal for her was completely uncalled for, especially when most of the rooms were clearly vacant(it was a Monday). This was only her second time to Vermont, and I felt sorry that she didn't experience the traditional hospitality and kindness you'd find up here. Besides the horrendous customer service, the place was what you'd expect for a hotel of that price. Our room was fairly clean, a couple of the towels had little stains, I've stayed in worse, but the hot water didn't work in the faucet(did in the shower) and the thermostat was kind of hard to get right because it didn't have any temperatures on it.
I wouldn't recommend the place based on our experience with the staff, its unfortunate they don't care the least about their customers.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

We reached to hotel using a coupon from one of the (very nice) Vermont tourist centers. The coupon advertised the hotel for 45$ (midweek, +20$ on weekends). If you ask me, it was a tad overpriced.
The reception clerks, after checking us in with the coupon, made what I expect was rude remarks in their Native tongue. The room had all the charm of a closet, including a missing plug for all bathtubs in the hotel (policy). While the plug was later provided; the initial shock hardly wore off.
The windows had locks (where not broken) in form of a shoddy piece of plastic or a bar. All I could say was the broken locks had me worried.
The swimming pool was more of a cesspool, given that the water was all green.
Breakfast was ok.

My advice is to look elsewhere in Rutland, there is no lack of better hotels down the road.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Rutland hotels

pocono mountains
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

we paid over $100.00 for this room and it was deplorable. bugs in between the sheets, dirty bathroom, hot water shooting out of the faucet, and hard to understand staff. and that doesn't even cover a third of it. the next day we didn't have any refills of the stuff that was supposed to be given to us and they left the dirty linens in the bathroom! i complained to choice hotels and they sent me $50.00 in certificates to use at any of their hotels. i originally complained to this hotel and they wanted to give me 25% off my next stay. why would i ever go back there? i lodged a complaint with my credit card to stop payment and they decided since i was accomadated there, according to the hotel staff, i had to pay. what a joke! i should of sent them all of these reviews since mine didn't seem to matter. don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank diegonn
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

I booked a room a year in advance for a fall foliage tour. I would never stay there again. It was overpriced and a dump. It looks better from the outside than from the inside. I wouldn't say it was dirty but it thoroughly needed a lot of remodeling. The ceiling in the bathroom was falling apart. The managers were very nice but clueless. I'm not sure it rates a Rodeway Inn approval. I have stayed at other Rodeway Inns but this was the worst and it was over $100 a night!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2008

Looks like no one liked this place based on the reviews.

My experience was actually rather nice for what we paid for. We are four students who worked at Killington. We are from South Africa. We were looking for a place where we could stay for as cheap and convenient as possible. As we were dependant on the Rutland bus service it was great that the bus stop is right in front of the inn. You have to walk about 15minutes if you want to take the Killington bus at 5am though...

Everything was neat and tidy when we got there the first day. The old man and his wife were very friendly and when our microwave broke during the day they replaced it within the hour.

It is not a luxury inn!!!
You only get the basics, and your towels won't get changed every day.

If you are on a tight buget this is more than acceptable if you don't mind an old room. The heat, tv, all the lights, kettle, microwave and the fridge were in working condition.

Don't be afraid to try and bargain for your room!
We were two people in my room, and we paid $180 a week! Think the daily price was something like $80 a night.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
Somerville MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

Unfortunately, we did not read these reviews ahead of time, otherwise we would have not stayed there. This room was small, dirty, shabby, and something I would have been afraid to bring my cat to. The whole room gave us the heebie jeebies because of the grimy rug, dirty ac which was falling apart, the kicked in door with plenty of dents, and the bathroom sink that looked like it had been pulled out of the wall and replaced with putty. The lampshades were all stained and most of the lamps did not work. We only stayed there because most of the rooms at other hotels were sold out because of the Vermont State Fair and we did receive the family and friends discount. We will never stay here again and would not stay here if it were free.
Choice Hotels are usually very clean and presentable as well as comfortable. Choice Hotels should reconsider having the Rodeway represent them. This was probably the worse motel room we've ever stayed in.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — dirtiness, grimy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Elmira, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2008

First..let's be clear. There are 2 Rodeway Inn in Rutland. My experience was with the one on the road to Killington...but I understand they are both equally bad.

A previous poster mentioned the "Smoking-Non smoking" room over the office (Room 142). This was my room as well. A "suite". This was neither a "Suite" or "sweet". I have stayed in suites. This is a couple of rooms that smelled bad (stale smoke), had an empty coke can on the table. Suite implies prestige...nothing prestigious about this place.

We booked non-smoking. The room had 2-3 ashtrays in plain view when we walked in. I went back to the office. The woman who checked us in said, "no. According to the company you booked smoking. See the printout". There was some kind of code on it that apparently indicates smoking vs. non-smoking. I produced not one, but two copies of the confirmation I received from Choice Hotels saying "non-smoking". We went round and round, finally she said she had to call her manager. I think they realized we were going to dispute the charges regardless...better to just find a sucker to stay there that they'd be actually getting money from.

The "manager" gave me their copy of the charge receipts back and reversed the charge...and that was that.

Now...they ran my credit card and charged both nights (not authorized, but actually charged the two night's stay)...so my money was locked up for a week, until my card company realized that the charge was reversed.

The Homeless of Rutland....
I agree, the homeless of Rutland live here. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not sharing my weekend with a bunch of homeless folks.

We went to the Best Western up the road. Paid just a few bucks more than the Roachway Inn and had an excellent stay. The Best Western staff virtually apologized for the problems we had. I suspect we aren't the first Rodeway Inn refugees they've seen.

Oh yeah--It's the Royal Motel, not the Rodeway Inn. I have the charge slip to prove it.

I talked to the Choice Hotel people...they pretty much blew me off.

Wish I had pictures to show you.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Stay away from this place!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family