“Very Steep But Amazing View At Top”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Deer Leap Trail

Gloucester, Massachusetts
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Very Steep But Amazing View At Top”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I want to say first that I do not recommend trying to cross the busy route 4 just to enjoy the parking across the street. We parked right next to the Inn and no one said anything, as did other travelers so it looks like during the day you can park there but not overnight as the sign says. Please don't try to cross route 4, it's a blind corner and dangerous.
The hike is not easy. I've been doing a lot of hiking lately and this was one of the harder ones. I know it's labelled as moderate but unless you're comfortable with climbing over roots and rocks that are often wet with a drop off right next to you for part of the way then this may not be the trail for you. And, did I mention it's extremely steep in portions? I had a fairly hard time with this one. It's longer than what it seems as you get to the 'top' and then you have another mile or so to the overlook. The overlook is spectacular. Great view of the mountains and road below. You'll have to climb on steep rocks and you can walk to the edge if you're not afraid. If you're clumsy or have any difficulty with climbing, I do not recommend this trail. Parking is free, no fee to get in and it was very quiet when we were there on a Sunday morning although more hikers were coming up as we made our way down.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank quiet_wave

Bolton, Connecticut, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great hike!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Nice day for a hike! Deer Leap Trail has a considerable gain in elevation for a pretty short hike. The terrain is a little rough, but totally worth it once you reach the lookout! Sprawling views of the green mountains on a clear day. Just beautiful!

Visited May 2014
Rutland, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great little hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Strapped for time and want a good hike with spectacular views....head to Dear Leap....don't miss out on McGrath's pub at the bottom for the drink up.... I do this hike about once a week in the summer, also got engaged to my wife at the top!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank VTCOllin
Rutland, Vermont
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Think Spring”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I started my hike down by the Beaver Pond (now dry) and hiked east on the newly opened section toward Deer Leap. I went around Mother's Day and the spring wildflowers were just awesome. not just one or a few types but a big range all in blossom. Great addition to an otherwise boring walk. The vista is on a spur off of the AT/LT and must return back the same way back to the main trail. I then continued down the blue blaze (former AT/LT) to the INN at long trail and down Rte 4 to my car.
BTW, The vista is worth the trip (actually there are two) one looking toward Rutland and the other an 80 foot drop looking toward Pico that rock climbers climb.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Vermontwoodchuck
Rutland, Vermont, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great easy short hike.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I must hike this trail 5 times a year and it doesn't get old to me. It's an easier hike with great views of some of vermonts finest mountains. The hike is very easy to get to and you can always treat yourself to some good food just below the trail.

Visited October 2013