“ski trip”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
New York City, New York
“ski trip”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Clean pool but it is not heated. Sauna was nice and toasty. Breakfast was average. The rooms were clean and spacious. Flat screen TV. Shower was clean but not modern. Overall this is a nice place to stay for the price, its very close to Killington ski resort. I stayed with friends for 2 nights and we had a good time and i recommend this place if you're on a budget

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This hotel was still named as Red Roof Inn Rutland when I checked in and the next time we drove by (approximately a week later), their logo was covered with a "Days Inn" temporary poster. My overall experience with this hotel was definitely not up to my standards regardless how cheap the price was. When I checked their price online, it was $99.00 for Two Double beds, and when I called in to make my reservation, the front desk had offered me the AAA discount (10% discount) even I said I'm not a member, which was quite nice of them to do so. I was here for a 1 night stay prior to my check in at the Killington ski resort the next day. I picked this hotel due to the convenient location to Killington ski resort (about 30 min away) and close to a walmart, and positive rating/review from Trip Advisor.
When we arrived, it was easy to locate. It was right next to a Denny's (didn't not tried though). Check in was smooth, although I had a couple questions here and there, and the front desk lady, Cathy, kept chatting on the phone and it sounded like a personal phone call as she kept talking back to me in while she was still on the call, which I thought wasn't very professional. We parked, there was just enough parking space although there was a huge pothole in the middle to prevented us from looking further.
Next, we finally went to see our room, Room #212. Right when I opened the door, a REALLY strong smell of MOLD gushes out from the room! The ENTIRE room smelled like MOLD inside out! I immediately went to ask for a room change and unfortunately was told they were "sold out" for the night and only have smoking rooms available. I had no choice but to bare with it for few hours that I will sleep in this nasty room. And by the way, I can still smell the mold on my pj the next day even though I've checked in to my next hotel. This room should have been put out of order for long term maintenance works for sure!!
Room decor was rundown, furniture looked very tired, although it did seem like they've done some upgrade to the bathroom and that was it. Luckily, bed/mattress was somewhat comfy and clean. However, there were some burnt holes on the duvet. They only provided 3 pillows on each bed, which I thought was awkward to not provide 4. However, the cover/blanket provided wasn't enough, so it did get quite chiller through my sleep.
The room also had a microwave (did not use) and mini fridge which was in working condition and was just cold enough.
Washroom was fine and seemed clean, other than the towel rack was rusty.
Heating in the room was weird because it was either it blasts HIGH FAN or OFF entirely.
They has had an old fashion TV in the room (not LCD / LED).
I'm not too sure if housekeeping even bother vacuuming the room because we had placed our equipments on the carpet to set up for the next ski day, and the bottom of our snowboards were scratched which small rocks and gravels (not from our shoes for sure).
Soundproof in room seems alright, didn't hear a whole lot from outside the hallway (other than those stomping by with ski boots) or from our neighboring rooms.
They have a complimentary hot breakfast which was very good with quite a wide selection. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles (ones you make yourself), bagel, toast, muffin, cereal, milk, orange juice, and coffee. There was 1 attendant taking care of the breakfast and it was quite busy with skiers in the morning. We tried to squeeze out the waffle mix from the machine and it was only dripping. The attendant did seem to noticed and came over to help us. But she literally pushed us out of the way to empty out the last bit of the waffle mix for us. As we've noticed throughout the breakfast, she really hates her job. I also caught Cathy (the front desk agent from last night) coming through the breakfast area in her pjs...maybe she lives there?
Upon check out, we did not encounter any more problems, it was a different gentlemen at the desk. Smooth check out and got our invoice quickly.
I gave this hotel a 2/5 only due to the price, location, and the great breakfast, or else I would have given a 1/5 for sure.
Will I stay again? I mayyyyy give it another try if everything else in that area was completely sold out...!

Room Tip: Avoid room 212! Unless all other rooms smells like mold, please just avoid this hotel entirely.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Linda W, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback in such great detail. We welcome all comments and we take all comments seriously. We are very committed to making sure that each and every guest has an enjoyable stay. When we hear otherwise we immediately take action to correct the problem. We have set high standards for our hotel as well as high standards for our staff . When we fall short of providing an enjoyable stay for our guests we then know we have more work to do. We always want the staff to act in a professional manner and we always want the staff to give complete attention to our guests. It appears in your case we have failed to do so. It also appears that the housekeeper did not live up to the standard of providing exceptional service. The hotel is under new ownership. What does that mean ? It means extensive renovations and upgrades. ( New beds, Flat screen TVs, Breakfast area enlarged) and much more. It is our hope that you will visit the Days Inn again. We would like the opportunity to provide you with exceptional service as well as have you enjoy the up coming changes.

Travellers are raving about these Rutland hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were there for the weekend on a ski trip, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facilities and our rooms although the sauna wasn't functioning very well. The breakfast was also a great offering for its value. However, our experience was marred by the fact that the hotel staff consistently failed to handle my lost and found inquiry despite my numerous phone calls. The first time I called I was told that housekeeping would look for the item and get back to me, and I provided them with my contact details. I waited for 2 days of any signs of them getting back to me, and when I did not hear from them, I called, only to have the lady at the front desk tell me that housekeeping did not have my contact details and that the manager, who would be in charge of dealing with these affairs was not in for the weekend. Moreover, I was told that housekeeping had found one of my two items, but that I should wait to speak to the manager. Once again, I asked them to get back to me as soon as possible. Yet the weekend passed and again I was left waiting. I had to call them up for the fourth time, only to have the manager tell me that housekeeping was wrong and that they had not found any items at all, and basically that the lady I had spoken to a few days earlier had given me false information and hope. More than anything, I was exasperated by not only the utter lack of communication, but what seemed like a very callous approach to customers - since they already had my money, I guess I was not important enough to them. I was severely disappointed after what was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
RRI0639, General Manager at Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable. I apologize for any miss communication's that you had re your lost items. We try our very best to find and return left behind items, but are not responsible for left behind items. We have on many occasions found people's items and returned them, but in your case did not find what you were looking for. Your feedback is important to us, and I will be sharing your comments with my staff.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stay in Rutland once a year for a family Christmas, alternating betweem the Red Roof, Holiday Inn and Hamptopn Inn depending on price. Since we need 6-10 rooms and have a wide range of ecenomic means, cost is the final selection criteria. The RR is servicable - excellent staff. However you do get what you pay for, which equates to an older facility in need of a major soft and hard renovation. Be prepared to bring an extra pillow or two, since they don't have extra to provide wheb in sell out mode; the bedding is light - if you're like us, you like the room temperature low, and an extra blanket on top. The resulting overall sleep quality isn't great.

We didn't use the free wifi, or have the complimentary breakfast (it smelled great).

Would we stay here again? Yes, depending on price. But I'd toss an extra pillow and blanket in the car.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
RRI0639, General Manager at Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thank you for your recent comments and suggestions. We take all the comments made serious. I appreciate your sharing what you thought our strengths are and what needs improvement. I am happy to here that we meet some of your needs, and hope you choose to stay with us again !
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Sub-par- lots to complain about but can't really complain about the price.
Rooms are small- fridge didn't work- room keys don't work a lot of the time. Breakfast was average- hotel is hold and definitely on the dirty side. Would I stay again? Prob not- I prefer the cleaner things in life even if I have to pay a little more.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RRI0639, General Manager at Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your recent post. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies. At Red Roof Inn we strive to provide every customer with the best service. Your feed back is important, and I appreciate you sharing your concerns.
Corning, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was our first trip to Vermont ever, to do some skiing. We chose this place based on reviews we had read, and based on its proximity to Okemo, our ski destination.We were very satisfied with the accommodations--it was clean, there was ample parking, the staff was friendly, and the price was almost a give-away. Besides the price, we were attracted to this place because it allows pets (we like to include our dog in our vacations rather than kennel her). After leaving home late, we arrived in the middle of the night, but were greeted by friendly staff, and made to feel welcome. We were really surprised at the extensive breakfast provided, being that the price was so reasonable. They had make-your-own-waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, yogurt, bagel, toast & muffins, juice, and coffee. I probably missed something, but we didn't go away hungry. I have to comment on the coffee...I've had some pretty raunchy tasting coffee at other free breakfast buffets, but these folks serve up a great cup of coffee. It didn't taste like "the cheap stuff". I always bring my percolator from home when we travel, just for this reason, but I didn't have to use it here. The owners are doing it right. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
RRI0639, General Manager at Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for the fantastic review. I am very happy to see that my staff and I are doing our jobs. I am happy to here that your stay was satisfying. I will be sharing your comments with my staff. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.