“Very nice hotel but the town is sleepy!”

Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saint Johnsbury
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived quite late after coming from an afternoon in North Conway. This hotel is large and very impressive to see as it looks like a chateau or similar. I have no complaints whatsoever about the hotel itself but you must prepare yourself for the lack of food offerings in the nearby area. We ended up getting McDonalds which is quite unusual for our evening meal, and no we are not fine diners! I needed to get something at a pharmacy but unfortunately it was just after 9 PM and that was the end of that quest.. Pretty much everything close by was closed down for the night.

Breakfast was the typical Comfort Inn morning fare and more than adequate.

While it is not likely that we will be back in this area, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Certainly one of the best Comfort Inns I have been in, and next time would make sure we eat somewhere else first.

Very convenient to Intestates 91 and 93 and on US Route 5 so the convenience cannot be beat. We go to Choice hotels only and this is the only one in the region. Thank goodness it was excellent!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brandy D, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the delay in a response. I am the new General Manager of the property. I appreciate the so called "sleepiness" of the town not effecting the overall satisfaction of your hotel stay with us. Although there is plenty to do in the area during the daytime hours it is a quaint town and offerings later in the evening are more minimal. There is a wonderful local spot "Bailiwicks" that is a guest favorite and does serve until 10 pm or so. Typically dinner after 10pm is difficult to find in the immediate area. There is delivery from a local pizza place, that I will say is very good. Please consider staying with us in the future and we can always recommend dining options in the immediate and surrounding areas. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My first time in Vermont and this is one of the only hotels in miles. It has beautiful landscape quiet off the main street Family friendly helpful staff salt water pool that includes a chair lift a sauna and whirlpool large breakfast choice clean rooms still looks like new

Room Tip: this hotel goes above and beyond even offers a chair lift into the pool for those with mobility prob...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for the review and taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you appreciated your stay in our hotel. I am the new General Manager and am looking forward to more wonderful reviews such as yours. The chair lift is a newer feature in the hotel and is an important asset to accommodate all guests to enjoy the pool area. Thanks again for the review and we hope you will return for a future visit with us!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Happened on to this Comfort Inn following my GPS. Without a doubt it is the nicest one I have ever seen or stayed in. The price reflects the facility but it is well worth the cost. It is in the country but still close to town. I 91 is adjacent. The grounds are immaculately landscaped with flowers everywhere. Very attractive. Facility is large and well maintained. Rooms are quite large with all the amenities. Breakfast is included. If in the area, I would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for naming us the "Best Comfort Inn Ever"! Our hotel was named Comfort Inn of the Year in 2003, an award that our team is extremely proud of! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will travel to the area in the future. There are several so many reasons to visit the Northeast Kingdom...skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, biking, etc. Hope you consider traveling to the area to enjoy the many things to do. Thanks again for the fantastic review and I'm glad you shared it on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights with our 3 young kids and many other family members. This is a nice hotel and a great place to stay with kids. They enjoyed the pool & arcade. The beds were very comfortable and had nice pillows. The rooms were clean and quiet. They staff was friendly and accomodating with requests. The complimentary breakfast had some gluten free options as well. A great place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for the review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the delay in a response. I am the new General Manager of the hotel and am excited about the many great reviews like yours I am seeing. I am glad to hear that your family was accommodated with the pool and arcade area, both big hits with kids and "kids at heart". Thanks again for your review and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This Comfort Inn is a large hotel situated in a wooded area near the junction of Interstates 91 and 93, just south of the town of St. Johnsbury. We were a family of three adults and two small children, who fitted comfortably into a large room with two queen beds and a pullout couch in a separate sitting area. The room was clean and well-maintained, with a small fridge and a large TV, along with free wifi. The beds were comfortable and there was almost no sound from outside or other rooms. The only annoyance was the noisy room air conditioner, mounted under the window. We discovered the next morning that we could have opened the window and dispensed with the a/c.

There was a full bathroom, with tub and shower. Despite the notices asserting that the hotel was "green" and environmentally conscious, the bath/shower control was of the type whose flow is constantly at the maximum, once turned on, and cannot be reduced to save water. The stream of water from the shower was so strong that the tub drain could not handle it all, and water built up under one's feet.

We went looking for an inexpensive supper in St. Johnsbury, and found it at Anthony's Diner on the main street. It had a good variety of tasty food at very reasonable prices, and offered friendly, obliging service.

The hotel breakfast room was spacious enough to accommodate a large crowd of diners, and had a full range of the usual hotel food items, both hot and cold. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient, and there was lots of parking.

We found it was possible to negotiate a considerably reduced rate -- lower than a senior's, AAA, government or military -- by dealing directly with the hotel (rather than through a booking agency) and asking for the "manager's special".

Room Tip: Deal directly with the hotel, always ask for the largest, most recently renovated room possible, and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for the review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the delay in response. I have just transitioned to this property and on behalf of the entire team would like to apologize in regards to the noisy ac unit during your stay. I will look into the shower flow as our team does take an assertiveness to being "green" as you mentioned. Our area does offer some nice local spots for dining and I am happy to hear you enjoyed a nice dinner at Anthony's Diner. I appreciate all your feedback and you taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. Thanks again for the nice review.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This gem in St. Johnsbury was unexpectedly marvelous. We stayed twice - two weekends in a row - when dropping off and picking up our daughter from summer camp. Both visits were lovely.

The grounds outside are lovely, although the hotel itself seems to be in the middle of nowhere. The town of St. Johnsbury itself is a short drive away by car.

The hotel clerks (I wish I'd remembered their names!) were all very polite and friendly when we checked in/out.

The rooms were quite large! Each time we stayed, we had a room with two queens and a separate sitting area. The latter came in handy when we ordered pizza from a local delivery service. We surely could have eaten in the dining room of the hotel, but we had so much space in our room that we figured why not?

The beds were super comfortable. Each bed came with four pillows: two per person each with a different firmness. So thoughtful!

I found the room to be exceptionally clean, and the noise level to be very quiet.

Breakfast was better than normal, which is good since there wasn't much in the way of options besides a Dunkin Donuts a few miles away in town. While there was plenty of breakfast seating while we were there, I'm not sure how busy they were during our stay. It's possible that winter is a busier season, in which case seating might be tougher.

On our second visit, we went in search of the pool, which turned out to be more disappointing than the hotel's brochures made it look. It's really much, much smaller than the pictures suggest. However, next to the pool is an honest to goodness arcade! We stayed up late playing air hockey, billiards, pac-man, pinball, and more. Fun!

I was really pretty sad to leave and wish we'd made more of the trips so that we could stay longer. If we're ever in the area again, we will certainly stay there!

Pro tip: if you have time, make sure to check out the Fairbanks Museum in town. It's small, but quite a gem!

Room Tip: If you're staying with more than one party, you can ask for connecting rooms, even if the bed co...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for the wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the delay in a response. I am the new General Manager at the hotel and am so proud to be at a property with such great reviews such as yours! I hope your daughter enjoyed summer camp in the area and I'm glad we are your "gem" of a property to enjoy while traveling. On behalf of the team here I would like to thank you for your compliments on the service, comfort and cleanliness of the hotel. Much appreciated and hope to see you in the future. BTW...Fairbanks museum is a wonderful recommendation for anyone visiting. Thanks for the tip for our future visitors!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed one night in a King Suite for a wedding nearby. Hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful. the hotel was clean and our room was also. The bed was comfy and the room was very spacious. We were also really surprised by the complimentary breakfast offered, as it had a really great selection of hot food. Only downside is there is no in-hotel dining other than breakfast. There are two restaurants in the area that deliver, a pizza place and a Chinese food place, and will bring it right up to your room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I apologize in the delay in a response on behalf of the hotel. It is such a beautiful area for weddings...especially outdoor weddings. I have to wonder if the wedding you attended was at the local favorite spot at the Alerin Barn. Regardless, I appreciate you staying with our property and am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Johnsbury
#2 of 2 in Saint Johnsbury
Colonnade Inn
Colonnade Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyndonville

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain? Share your experiences!