“Gem in the Rough”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Lyndonville, Vermont, United States
“Gem in the Rough”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There aren't a lot of choices for great food in St. Johnsbury, but Bailiwicks stands out. The menu is small, but consistently excellent. Waitstaff is well trained and attentive.
It's a little noisy on the bar side, but there are some quiet tables in the back for a romantic dinner for two.

Visited November 2013

Cardiff
“Food good but some problems”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Other reviews cover it well, good food, noisy, lively atmosphere etc. We enjoyed our Cod and Risotto dishes. Our main problems with the evening were about the lighting, so low that we could not read the menu without the help of a lighter. What light there was shone through a ceiling fan so it was constantly flickering. Took my headache home with me.

• Visited October 2013
Scituate, Massachusetts
“Must try!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Great food, great atmosphere, great drinks-extensive drink menu, friendly accommodating staff! Suggest making reservation.

Visited October 2013
Stacey N, Owner at Bailiwicks on Mill, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
We are so happy to have been able to make your experience at Bailiwicks one that exceeded expectations! We look forward to sharing another evening with you again in the future!
Santa Barbara, California
“DELICIOUS”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

WoW, the steak was about the best I have ever had in a restaurant. Food great overall. Don't miss this place if you want great food.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Karen L
Burlington, Vermont
“Nice atmosphere.. early "last call"”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is not the place to go if you are looking to have a drink or two past say, 10:00 on a Friday or Saturday night. My friends and I showed up at 9:30 and sat at the bar. It seemed very lively at first!.. there were 25-30 customers in the pub and 5 or so employees, sitting at one end of the bar, even dancing behind the bar! The bartender took his time pulling away from his co-workers to take our order, he really seemed pained to do so and then when we got our drinks, we were presented with the bill at the same time, and informed that they were "all done serving for the night". At once, the music was turned off and the light went up.. although there were still 15-20 patrons with drinks still in hand, some folks still even had plates of food in front of them. We purposely drank our cocktails slowly, as these were the only ones we would get, and noticed that one select table (who seemed to know the staff well) managed to have their glasses and bottles refilled several times, not to mention the staff members themselves, who by this time were quite animated and yelling at the top of their lungs across the room to one another. We paid our bill and left, as it seemed they wanted us to.
I've had decent dining experiences here in the past, though the service has always left something to be desired.. after this last time though, I don't believe I'll be back. Weird place.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Tonya P
Good afternoon, Tonya. I am extremely surprised to read about your experience at my establishment, and I am eager to get to the bottom of the problem, so that I can fix it. Your are more than welcome to call me directly at (603) 444*7717 to talk one on one about this. I would be more than happy to listen to what you might have to say further.

Stacey