“Not as wonderful as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cantina Di Gerardo

Cantina Di Gerardo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
TwinMountain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as wonderful as I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Four of us went with a friend who has been going to Gerardo's for years (even when they were in Littleton, NH). She LOVES this place, so we expected an outstanding experience. Well, Gerardo's fell far below "outstanding" to "just ok". The restaurant was fairly full (it was a Friday night); however, we were seated immediately. There was only one server, who doubled as the hostess, bartender, bus girl, and cashier. It took her 15 minutes to take our drink order. One of the people in our party ordered a mixed drink, and was given something that looked nothing like what he ordered. He drank it anyway. No water was brought to the table.

The menu was huge, with all sorts of mouth watering dishes. My food was very good and everyone else seemed to like theirs as well; however, one of our friends pasta was ice cold. She sent it back and it was immediately heated. We were half-way through our meal before we were able to get the waitresses attention so we could get some Parmesan cheese, this is an Italian restaurant after all. I know I am being really picky here; but, when you pay $24.00 for a plate of ravioli, there really should be fresh ground pepper on the table or at least offered. I did not like the bread and seasoned olive oil that was brought to the table. The bread was dry, and the oil did not have a good flavor.

Like some of the other reviewers said, the place really needs a make over. There was no real ambiance, the place was more like a living room with family pictures on the wall than a business. It was very clean. Dinner was served in frying pans which was different, but did not bother me or the other people in my party. All in all it was ok. I would not drive 45 minutes again to eat there; however, if I happened to be in St. Johnsbury, and was hungry, I would stop in.

I hate giving such a mediocre review. I really wanted to love this restaurant. I do believe Gerardo's has the potential to be amazing. The young couple that were running it that night are very sweet and want to do a great job, I think they just need some professional help and the space needs a makeover.

• Visited January 2014

Lyndonville, Vermont, United States
“Amazing recipes for the adventurous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you're in a rush, or you want to be coddled, do not come here. If your idea of great food is Olive Garden, you will be disappointed.

BUT...if you want traditional Italian recipes, made from scratch, Gerardo's is wonderful. There are only a few tables, the family takes care of the front and the back of the house, and you may have to wait...but if you ask what the specials are and are willing to be adventurous, you will get a great meal. Most are served in the pan right off the stove. PLUS...Gerardo makes the best marinara sauce I have ever tasted. Yes, I've been to Italy, and I'm a native New Yorker. I know red sauce places. He does marinara better than anybody.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Steve N
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not fresh food not good service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I hate talking bad about a local place like this ,but if you charge those prices you got to walk the walk. I have been to this place 3 times now . same thing every time bad service like the worst ever 3 times in a row........... very poor over priced meals 3 times. when they say fresh they mean fresh from the freezer. need a restaurant make over . to their defense a little large portions but if the food sucks who wants more.... owner need to take a step back and look at what they are doing not a good value not a good experience all 3 times.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank matt r
Burlington, Vermont
“Do not go to this restaurant....You will be disappointed....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our first experience at this restaurant was a couple weeks ago, on a Friday night around 8pm. We walked in and stood there for a couple minutes until we were told in a not-so-nice way by one of the waitresses that the restaurant would be "closing due to lack of food". LACK OF FOOD??!? We were both very confused how an Italian restaurant can run out of PASTA. Regardless, we found another great restaurant (GoodFellas) and forgot about the weird experience at Cantina Di Gerardo.
But wait, it gets better!!
The following Friday night, we decide to try to give Cantina Di Gerardo another try. It was around the same time, and the place was busy, but there were tables free. However, all the tables were dirty. We stood there for some time, with no greeting until we had to flag down a waitress. When a waitress finally DID come over to talk to us, she told us in a huffy manner that it "was going to be a couple minutes because I need to clean off a table". Not only did she NOT even offer menus (which we asked for) but she didn't even have the common courtesy to tell us "wait right here and we'll have a table for you in a moment". We stood and waited for a decent period of time, and FINALLY watched a waitress clean off a table. Wouldn't you think at this point SOMEONE from this establishment would come over and take us to the table? Noooo.....We finally got so tired of standing there, staring at an empty table that we SEATED OURSELVES. We then sat and waited for someone to greet us. After fifteen minutes of sitting there, noone had greeted us, given us menus or even brought water to the table!! We were just ignored. We decided at that moment to just get up and LEAVE. No one even noticed we walked out. Frankly, I don't think they even CARED. Talk about a HORRIBLE restaurant. We will NEVER go there again, especially after hearing some not-so-good reviews about the food quality and prices. We went to an awesome restaurant close to there called GoodFellas. THEY had great food and wonderful service!!

• Visited October 2013
“Pass it by!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We ate dinner here at the recommendation of the frontdesk employee at the hotel we were staying at. Mistake number one. Granted, it didn't appear there were a lot of options in St. Johnsbury, but we would have happily traveled elsewhere for a better experience. This is just a really strange place with few (if any) redeeming qualities. I honestly can't understand why the ratings are as high as they are. Clearly there was an appeal to the "local" as it seemed most people new the owners on some level. I still don't know why that was enough bring people back as the woman working the front alone (from hostessing, to serving) was not all that pleasant, and the guy barking at her from the kitchen (husband??) was even less pleasant. The building was grungy and needed a total rehab. It felt stuck in the 70s. The service was soooo sloooowwwww that we really just wanted to leave half way through. Now all of this may have been tolerable if the food was phenomenal. I have to say, my pasta was good, nothing spectacular, and the other two meals we ordered were borderline at best. The prices were astronomical for the experience.... wayyyy too much food served and served in the pan it was actually cooked in... What's that, other than weird?? If I'm going to pay that much, I want to be eating off a plate, not out of worn frying pan! Very disappointing to waste time and money on what should have been a nice dinner. Did I mention for an Italian place, the wine selection was horrible?? So bad, that I passed, since I could have gone to the local grocery store and bought a bottle of the $8 a glass wine for less than $5! In a word... "gross". Nothing quaint or inviting here, just a real disappointment.

• Visited October 2013