“Excellent”

israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

it was the only place that was open on Sunday. It was excellent ! the best Italian restaurant we ate in our trip. We ordered Caltzone and a salad wooooooo
huge size !

• Visited June 2014

Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
“I so want to love this place!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It has everything going for it. Authentic Italian couple cooking delicious dishes from the home country on another downtown VT street struggling for renewal against the constant dragging forces of poverty, recession and decay. I really want to love it and support it and see it thrive!

But I just can't. Service is atrocious. I just want to take the waiter aside for 10 minutes and teach them to fill water glasses and refill bread baskets and check in on people. I figured out the underlying problem recently when I ventured back hoping things had improved. The owner/chef was sitting in a chair on the sidewalk talking in his lovely accent to a friend. We had to work our way past him ( the three of us) and then wait inside for 10 minutes before finally someone came and said they had closed. The owner/chef never said anything to us going in or out. So that's it. As usual, great service flows from the expectations and example of the leader. Sadly, I am done with Gerardo's. I just can't go and pretend to be happy when they don't really care about my experience. It's not rocket science folks.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Paul N
New York City, New York
“Yummy Yummy!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Tried to go to this place a few times... Most places do close early in NEK .. finally got in .. it is easy to get to on the main street of St Jay.. the food was Delicious... they have a bar and so a nice italian pasta meal very tasty with a glass of wine made this the best food we ate up there in a long time. Friendly staff... brought a 7 year old with us... no problems she ate up everything. I do believe the cook loves what he is doing. Nice bread with oil and garlic dip to start... nice little salad. Definitely trying to go back here again. Thanks!!

Visited March 2014
TwinMountain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as wonderful as I expected”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Four of us went with a friend who has been going to Gerardo's for years (even when they were in Littleton, NH). She LOVES this place, so we expected an outstanding experience. Well, Gerardo's fell far below "outstanding" to "just ok". The restaurant was fairly full (it was a Friday night); however, we were seated immediately. There was only one server, who doubled as the hostess, bartender, bus girl, and cashier. It took her 15 minutes to take our drink order. One of the people in our party ordered a mixed drink, and was given something that looked nothing like what he ordered. He drank it anyway. No water was brought to the table.

The menu was huge, with all sorts of mouth watering dishes. My food was very good and everyone else seemed to like theirs as well; however, one of our friends pasta was ice cold. She sent it back and it was immediately heated. We were half-way through our meal before we were able to get the waitresses attention so we could get some Parmesan cheese, this is an Italian restaurant after all. I know I am being really picky here; but, when you pay $24.00 for a plate of ravioli, there really should be fresh ground pepper on the table or at least offered. I did not like the bread and seasoned olive oil that was brought to the table. The bread was dry, and the oil did not have a good flavor.

Like some of the other reviewers said, the place really needs a make over. There was no real ambiance, the place was more like a living room with family pictures on the wall than a business. It was very clean. Dinner was served in frying pans which was different, but did not bother me or the other people in my party. All in all it was ok. I would not drive 45 minutes again to eat there; however, if I happened to be in St. Johnsbury, and was hungry, I would stop in.

I hate giving such a mediocre review. I really wanted to love this restaurant. I do believe Gerardo's has the potential to be amazing. The young couple that were running it that night are very sweet and want to do a great job, I think they just need some professional help and the space needs a makeover.

• Visited January 2014
Lyndonville, Vermont, United States
“Amazing recipes for the adventurous”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you're in a rush, or you want to be coddled, do not come here. If your idea of great food is Olive Garden, you will be disappointed.

BUT...if you want traditional Italian recipes, made from scratch, Gerardo's is wonderful. There are only a few tables, the family takes care of the front and the back of the house, and you may have to wait...but if you ask what the specials are and are willing to be adventurous, you will get a great meal. Most are served in the pan right off the stove. PLUS...Gerardo makes the best marinara sauce I have ever tasted. Yes, I've been to Italy, and I'm a native New Yorker. I know red sauce places. He does marinara better than anybody.

• Visited November 2013