“A nice visit”

Robert Frost Stone House Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of poet Robert Frost in his middle years.
Martinsburg, West Virginia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“A nice visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is the home where Robert Frost penned "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening." You can tour the four downstairs rooms, which have some of the original furnishings. There are still some trees here which were planted by Frost, and some interesting displays in the rooms.
We are lucky this home has been saved. I cannot believe any reviewer would think the entry fee was "expensive!" This is run by a non-profit group and the cost is $5!
We did not stay more than an hour, but we all felt it was a very worthwhile experience.
We also visited Frost's grave site in town.

Visited July 2014

Princeton NJ
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth a visit if you are in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My visit to Robert Frost Stone House Museum was part of a long weekend in southern Vermont. The museum was close to our driving route and so I felt the one hour visit was very much worth our time. If you grew up in the US then you likely studied some of Frost's poem's in school. It was great to learn more about him, his family, and his path to becoming an iconic American poet.

Visited July 2014
United States
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“History and Insight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I enjoy being at the real site of important events, particularly for people I love like Robert Frost. For me, it was amazing to be at the home where he wrote some of his iconic poems. I also liked the analysis provided in the museum exhibits. I learned a lot more about Robert Frost, his philosophy, education, and values in poetry. And it's easy to locate right on the 2 lane highway just north of Bennington. It is a small home so it doesn't take long to visit. It would be nice if they could incorporate some more modern educational techniques like audiovisual. But for me it was well worth a stop.

Visited May 2014
Derwood, Maryland, USA
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Expensive & a bit too modest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We mapped a path through Vermont to catch the Robert Frost Stone House Museum as well as Hildene, Abraham Lincoln's son's house. The latter was worthwhile; the former not so much. The entrance fee was quite high for such a tiny museum. You'll probably only need about 1 hour there at most. There are about 4 rooms you go through. Very little furniture from Frost's time. I would not go back to this again. And I wouldn't feel guilty if I had never seen it in my lifetime. The most interesting were some of the parodies of Frost's poem, stopping by the woods. Like this one for an answering machine: Your call's important; thanks a heap, But I have promised to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, So leave your message at the beep. (D.A.W.)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank JC82010
Toledo, Ohio, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Catch a piece of History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

There is an apple tree in the back that inspired one of Frost's poems. You need to get a copy of that poem in the house then take a picture standing under the tree. In the home they have a history of Frost's poems with his explanation of some of them. Gives you a better insight into his thinking.

Visited October 2013