“Reservation was cancelled”

Days Inn Shelburne/burlington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shelburne
Reviewed 27 April 2007

I had booked this hotel earlier this spring through the TripRewards web site, the official online vehicle of the Days Inn.

I received an excellent rate and had planned a getaway for myself and my wife to the Burlington area. I received my confirmation e-mail that confirmed my reservation and the rate.
In addition, this was a non-refundable rate, I had no option to cancel but I had no plans to so this was not a concern.

However, last week I received a phone message from the Days Inn telling me that they had quoted me the wrong rate and that my reservation was being canceled. They gave me the option to rebook at a considerably higher rate.

Of course, being quite frustrated, I declined. I am now left scrambling to find a hotel since I believed that I already had a reservation in place.

I have e-mailed the Days Inn corporate office about this incident and they have yet to reply a week later. This leaves me with the impression that you should not book at this hotel and expect them to honor anything that is confirmed at the time of booking.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank MUhrblock
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Shelburne/burlington

Reviewed 24 September 2006

We were worried before our trip due to the mixed reviews of the hotel. We requested a rear-facing room, which was really spacious and clean and tidy, if a little dated.

The location is very good for travellers, although you need a car to get everywhere. Breakfast was standard enough, but for the price this is a good value Inn. No shortage of restaurants and food outlets on this street!

• Stayed: August 2006
Reviewed 8 September 2006

We were greeted with indifference by the desk clerk. My credit card was flipped back to me with the comment: "checkout on Monday at 11." A broken back door (the only security is to keep your room door locked--which didn't close on its own) preceded a "lobby" with broken and torn furniture.
The peeling wallpaper of the lobby was repeated in our room; the hoders for the curtains was broken and put up with a safety pin. My wife swears her feet stuck to the carpet. The decor was at least twenty years old: the side veneer had come off the table. There was one small mirror.
When I inspected the bathroom I found the wallpaper had been peeled off and mold was growing in the area behind the toilet.
We asked for a different room and were told none was available. For this we paid the special weekend rate of $105 and had to stay two nights!
On the other hand, the room was clean and quiet and the staff did accommodate our requests quickly (when the housekeeping staff forgot to put in new towels for instance).
This out of date, unfriendly place stays in business because of the very popular Shelburne Museum and Farm nearby. But be advised that there are many other places to stay. Book early and avoid this disgrace to the Days Inn corporation that inexplicably allows its franchise to continue using its good name..

• Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed 8 September 2006

What a dump. Truly, people. That this has received some decent reviews-- I mean, I can only assume the owners are posting them! This place simply would not be in business were it not for the Shelburne Museum and Farms being nearby-- a fact the franchisees milk for all its worth. It hasn't been remodelled, EVER; it was dirty, the furniture old; the backdoor had no lock or handle (!!!)-- no security, friends, none. The furniture was incredibly dated, worn and stained, frankly scuffy. The whole place had the smell of unkempt, unclean, uncared-for property. Our Zenith t.v., circa 1980, was small and static-y. Mold and dirt underneath the sink (a fact forced on your attention if you take a bath, my mistake).
Our 'hostess' was borderline rude and uncaring about our stay. We paid a premium price for the Labor Day weekend--- boy what a mistake. Had there been ANY available rooms within 30 miles we would have taken them; but instead we were stuck in this frankly smelly hole, not fit for dogs.
Word to the wise: people, run for your lives. This place is a mess of such proportions that only new owners and a mult-million dollar revamp would correct it.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2006

I normally would not write in if I were not happy w/a place. However, I read the reviews on this site before booking the Days Inn and was completely surprised w/how dirty the place is. Our 1st room was supposed to be non-smoking but clearly there was a smoker prior. We moved to another room. The room smelled like mildew (the lobby smelled), the bathroom needed to be tilexed, there were bugs and I barely slept b/c I was so uncomfortable. Had we gotten there earlier in the day, we would've left, so we only stayed 1 night. The place looks nice from the outside but it needs a major overhaul inside. There were a few plus': Front desk is very nice and breakfast adequate. There is a yummy Italian restaurant right across the street. The best part was the outdoor pool which was nice on the hot night we were there and you can see Lake Champlain from it. We spent a long time there to avoid the room. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2006
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We chose the Days Inn, Shelburne because it was close to Burlington, but much more affordable than the hotels in South Burlington. (There appears to be only one hotel in downtown Burlington, and it was completely booked.) We stayed 2 nights, July 11-13. It turned out to be very convenient for visiting the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and the Shelburne Museum, but thanks to a constant traffic jam on the main drag into Burlington, the 5-ish mile drive took us about 30 minutes.

The room was clean and nice enough for $62 per night, including continental breakfast. They also offer a sizeable discount to the Shelburne Museum. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

The Days Inn, Shelburne definitely met our needs, but if you're in town to see Burlington, you'll probably want to pay a little more to stay closer to the city.

1  Thank DanioCal
Reviewed 31 July 2006

I needed a place to stay for 3 nights while i explored the area and having done lots of research (including using this site and reviews) i went with the Days Inn and boy I wish I hadn't. It started by being grunted at by the rudest woman, no welcome but paper shoved in front of me. The guy on reception however was very nice and spent the whole time apologising for her, apparantely she's the owner and known for being like that!
The room was a smoking one (had requested non smoking) so not only did it stink but it was just grimy. there was something up the walls, not sure if it was food, sick, pooh....who knows but they never wiped it down. Didn't look like they'd hoovered in a while either. The only thing that was half way decent was the bathroom and honestly that was it....needless to say, i cut my stay short!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank LadyCharles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 4 in Shelburne
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Smart Suites Burlington
Smart Suites Burlington
#5 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Days Inn Shelburne/burlington? Share your experiences!