“Go elsewhere-FAST!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Shelburne
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Shelburne
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shelburne
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Usually we do not have any trouble booking online, however we were very disappointed in our accommodations with Econ Lodge in Shelburne Vt.
For the price we paid of $139.19 the room was a disappointment.
The bathroom was very run down, their was a mildew stain on the shower curtain and the door would not close without pushing very hard on it. The door itself was in need of being replaced as you could see where parts of the wood on the bottom were stripped away and their was paint missing on it. The door closest to the 2nd bed which leads to the outside, had a deadbolt but also a door security guard that was broken. The curtain had worn holes in it. The biggest problem was the strong smell as you entered the room. It smelled like a strong cleaning product and even after leaving the door open for about 30 minutes to air it out, I could not make the smell go away. I ended up having a headache for most of the night.

I cannot speak for the other rooms but ours was very disappointing. If we were scheduled to spend another night I would have requested either another room or a refund.

When we got to the desk for admittance, they said they did not have a room for us. I adv them I booked online and they still said there was nothing for us. I reminded them that I called the night before to confirm the reservation and FINALLY they found our reservation. I had a very hard time understanding them with their broken english.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gladly spent another $50 a night for better accommodations.

I did not try the pool or the WIFI but will say this is the first room we have had in the 20 plus years we have traveled that DID NOT have a refrigerator or a hair dryer....Are they aware we are in the year 2013 and these are normal everyday items people need??

One of the pluses of booking here was that they served breakfast. I adv my husband there was no way I was putting their food in my body after experiencing their accommodations. I spent $29 at Denny's for breakfast instead,,

Look elsewhere folks, this is the not the place even for my dog.

Room Tip: Nothing good to say other than look elsewhere. Wish I did. Am hoping now I did not bring any disea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Although my mother once told me "that if I can't say anything nice I shouldn't say anything at all", I must voice my thoughts on this "Inn and Suites" so that others do not interpret this "Lodge" as a possible place to put your head down on a pillow. Where do I start. This "Inn and Suites" was purchased specifically to buy low, allow to run down then when word is finally out that one should drive by this establishment, then maybe tear it down for it's land value. The phones did not work in the rooms. The alarm clock was not plugged in and that was because it did not work anyway. Paint only is used as a repair tool. There was no wi-fi anywhere on the property...let alone safes, fridges, hair dryers, m/w or even means to make coffee! Which is too bad about about the coffee because there was nothing but cereal with no milk, juice or coffee for continental breakfast. The rooms (2 the same) were "somewhat" clean but curtains, bedding mattresses and linens had run their course. In short, we booked on line from the pictures (which have to date back to the good old days) for $120 taxes in for 1 room. Folks this is a $39 room during a hurricane and with car troubles!! SORRY!! Would I not stay here again. Certain "offshore" owners buy lodgings with one thing in mind. Take profit and not put back. This is 1 1/2 star lower than the Travel Lodge also on Shelburne Rd where I stayed last year (that one is off my list as well). The "Lodge" type offerings seem to have run their time in the overnight accommodations sector in my opinion. Keep looking!

Room Tip: Wishing you the best on this one. I don't think there are any rooms better than others. They are...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mike m
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Misleading advertisingsuch as Pool, it is there however it is not working. WiFi, does not work. Too cramped in order to have included breakfest, no hot water when needed Etc.etc. Management long on excuses but short on solutions. Only good thing was we were refunded 1 of 2 nights that we stayed. First clue of things to come was that we were asked to pay up front 2 nights. Would rather sleep in car than stay there again. !!

Room Tip: Last resort and even then, go a little further !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edouard N
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The rooms just flat out smelled. I paid for two rooms, and checked in for both. My room smelled very damp but I wasn't going to be there too long. When the second person came late at night, he couldn't stay the room smelled so bad and was so damp. He called to change rooms and was told there wasn't another one available. He drove four hours back to MA and I paid for the room that wasn't used. No three prong outlets, can't use a computer. I am now going to READ reviews before I book anywhere!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

When we checked in we knew this was an older motel. We have stayed at Econ Lodge before and found the room clean and acceptable. The first night we arrvied at 6:30 then settled in after dinner.
The bed was comfortabe but the floor seemd soft, the carpet felt damp to the bare foot. There was no clock/radio or hair dryer, the sink drain didn't work well. I tried to charge by cell phone in the bathroom outlet but when I turned off the light the outlet had no power. Breakfast was meager, free, so I got what I paid for.

The fawcet in the tub had hot water where cold was supposed to be. That was the first night, our second night the tub had cold and colder as did the bathroom sink. Yes, a stone cold shower in the morning! That's day two. Breakfast at McDonald's. When we came back that evening the room had been 1/2 cleaned, the bed not made up, but we had hot water so we showered before bed. We did get a hair dryer from the staff and a clock radio. There was no fridge or coffee maker. The air conditioner did work, but one of the control knobs was broken so it was plug-in on and un-plug off. it was noisey but worked. I couldn't adjust the fan speed so it was bake or listen to the noise.

Room Tip: Try the back seat of your car instead.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We had a suite with sofa bed, which we intended on using as we are not a couple! When we saw the condition of the room we asked to change rooms, and were told the hotel was full for the weekend! The sofa bed mattress was moldy, and possibly chewed by rodents? The seams were open and stuffing was missing, and there were huge yellow stains on both sides of the mattress. Unfit for sleeping. The bedding for the mattress was one flat sheet and an old brown frayed, matted blanket ! When we asked for a mattress pad, more sheets, and a nicer blanket, the manager gave us 2 sheets....he didn't have another blanket that night! WE had to share the bed for the weekend as all the other hotels accepting dogs were full as well! The non smoking room was definitely smoked in furniture was filthy and smelly. The windows did not open and were filthy and full of moisture, you couldn't see out. The sidewalks were cracked and caved in. The bathroom sink's faucet was difficult to use.Had to use both hands to turn on and off. The kitchnette had no utensils, plates, paper towels, pots, glasses, cups or dish strainer, not tht we could have stomached having a meal there. The swimming pool was closed and it was obvious it had been that way for a while with all the water and debris on top of the cover....
I reported this hotel to the Shelburne Board of Health on the 25th. The Manager? came to our room at 9 PM that evening We couldn't understand him. Our other friends also staying in other rooms had equally gross rooms with the same problems of filth and similar sofa beds. They too had booked NON smoking rooms and got filthy smelly disgusting rooms.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel!!!!!! wish I had known about trip advisor prior to staying at this hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SUSAN U
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The owner was working at the desk when I checked in. He wasn't unfriendly, but wasn't welcoming either. The property is spavined across the board, not well maintained at all. The pool has obviously been closed for a long time despite the sunny pics and the wireless Internet didn't work. When we called the front desk about it they told us it did work, hung up, and then didn't pick up when we called back. Oh well.

Overall, I think this is a fine motel if you're seventeen years old and want to go somewhere to do some underage drinking and/or get knocked up. It would also be an appropriate place to bring a low-rent denizen of a street corner. It wasn't for us. And I was astounded at how much we spent to stay at such a hole; motels this poor should be about forty bucks a night.

But at least we could bring our dog!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple