“Another company whos products are now poorly made...”

Vermont Teddy Bear Company
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Shelburne
More attraction details
Owner description: Vermont Teddy Bear Company is the largest maker of hand-crafted, American-made Teddy Bears! Embraced by the scenic Green Mountains, Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains, the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory colors the countryside in beautiful Shelburne, Vermont, USA.Visit Us In Vermont - See How Vermont Teddy Bears are Born! Read about our Factory Tour, Bear Shop, Make A Friend For Life(R) program, and upcoming Special Events, all here at our fun-stuffed Teddy Bear Factory.
Gujarat, India
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“Another company whos products are now poorly made...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

So 17 years ago I bought a teddy from this company as a gift whilst on holiday in the area (no online shopping back then). The bear is well made with good quality fur, quite heavy in weight with a quality feel to the whole product. Over time the 17 year old bear it has not worn, lost a limb to arthritis or needs glasses and has everything still attached...generally still in excellent health.

So decided to go back after all these years (and make quite a big detour) to buy another as we have a new addition to the family and though it would be a special surprise. We decided for old time sake to take the tour of how the bears are made ($4) as it was silly the last time, and it still is and children love it.

However dear oh dear what has happened to the bears? When I picked up the bear itself, it was so light in weight with very thin inferior fur which the pile was shedding as I handled it, and this was called 'plush' fur, very soft stuffing making the bear thin and squashy and you could feel the moving disks for the arms and legs through the padding. The bears may be made here but with fabric and recycled material etc coming from elsewhere.

Cutting costs really shows with again leaving an inferior product which does not even look like the original one I bought. I did not purchase another bear which was a shame after going out of my way. Understand most purchases are made on line and if I had done this I would of been extremely disappointed and returned the product. Even the other items such as clothing etc (no thats a step too far) where expensive and again cheaply made. And dont even bother with the nightwear outlet place in the same building, vile articles of bed wear which should be in the bin.

Can see how more bears would spend time in the bear hospital...which was very well kitted out I must say...

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Englandsscout

Green Valley
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Fun Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Teddy Bear Factory is a very fun place to visit. A good guide will do a tour to see how the bears are made. there is a great variety of bears on display and for sale. You can have one custom made. There is also a sleep wear store with some nice bargans.

Visited June 2013
Seminole, Florida
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Tourist Trap BUT Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We got rained out on our last day of skiing and decided to see this place and Ben and Jerry's Ice cream on the way back to Burlington.

The tour guide, Dan, was very funny and nice. He was very informative and we saw the process of how the teddy bear was made from cutting to shipping. My son (10 years old) loved this and was suckered into needing a teddy bear which sold for only $49...plus clothes...OUCH! I knew I would be leaving with a teddy bear, but had no idea that it would cost over $60 by the time I bought it clothes.

The tour was wonderful, but be prepared to shell out some cash for a bear at the end. It would be nice if they at least put the cost of your tour $4 per adult toward the cost of the bear that you'll be buying at the end.

The bear is of high quality and was named Benjamin J. because we went to Ben and Jerry's right afterward. The bear is loved, slept with, and has become an intimate part of our family....It was worth the $67....stilll.....ouch....wouldn't trade the memories....hoping to have the bear for a long time.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank linochat
Metairie, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Valentine Teddy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Ordered a big Teddy to be shipped to young lady on behalf of her teen boyfriend. Hi mentor him and he really wanted to impress her and show his Valentine love. It was delivered as ordered, on time and she now sleeps with the Teddy. She will never forget and it made him big in her eyes. My intention. This Teddy is bigger than her and great thing for anybody's girlfriend.

Visited February 2014
Punta Gorda, Florida
359 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Teddy Bear City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The factory is a little quirky but it is a fun experience. Our granddaughter enjoyed it very much and had fun picking our her little friend at the end. It can be a bit pricey but lesser expensive bear choices are also available.

Visited June 2013