“Nice Surprise”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2018

I stopped here on a whim for lunch and was happily surprised. I like the rustic cabin feel from the outside but inside, seemed a little outdated per the tin/bronze ceiling over the bar area. I ate outside since it was a beautiful day. I tried the crab cakes with the mango salsa which I thought was risky (being from Maryland which is known for excellent crab cakes). Surprisingly, they were very tasty and just the right portion for lunch. The service was also friendly.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

After reading reviews about this restaurant's "globally inspired menu" we stopped here for lunch after a day of exploring. Our first impression was poor: the hostess was disinterested and a bit clueless - seems we interrupted her day? She walked away after asking us "how many?" then neglected to tell us to follow her...she walked away from where the stacked menus were kept, so we had no idea where she was going.

Sooooo, it didn't start well and got a bit worse....took a while to get a waitress, there were ?2-3 there from what we could tell.
The soup of the day was "Thai Red Curry with Shrimp" but what came out was just broth with a few slices of basil & onion. Zero shrimp. I've made this soup before and if it says "with shrimp" then it's because you add some before serving. When we asked our waitress, her reply was "well yes it should have shrimp, I mean it's says 'with shrimp'... let me check" then came out later to tell us "it doesn't have shrimp but it's made with shrimp sauce." WTH? That's a lot of money to charge for broth....

Our entrees were better: The Montreal Burger (which was one of the specials) & Carne Asada Tacos. Hubby asked for the mushroom fries because several reviews recommended them, however the waitress said those were unavailable for almost a year....ok... Then please update your menus!?! Our entrees were tasty. Not over the top delicious but pretty good though the steak in the tacos was a little tough. Our waitress checked on us and said "how's your entrees? good? better than the soup right? you actually have beef in your hamburger hahaha."

We skipped dessert because the moldy smell was getting too overbearing. The restaurant is outdated, dark and smells moldy. The carpeting is stained & dirty, it's definitely in need of replacement or an upgrade to wood flooring. Dirt & stains on the walls. We wouldn't say that cleanliness and first impressions are high on their priority list. They have an outdoor patio but everytime the wait staff go through the door, it doesn't close right and hot air comes in so this place isn't temperature controlled. The constant 'in & out' also allows a lot of bugs to get in, so lucky me! Three new mosquito bites while having lunch here!

Overall, we'd give this restaurant a B-. Not awful but not awesome. Our bill was $41 and we left $60 to include a nice tip, because these flaws are not the wait staff's errors.

We wouldn't say it's very globally inspired but that might be perspective since we're from metropolitan upbringings, are culturally diverse (I an Asian, hubby is German) & we've been lucky to travel.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

My husband enjoyed the pork chop. I enjoyed the mussels as an appetizer and a main course of scallops. Loved the surprise at the end of their own homemade chocolate.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

A solid restaurant in Shelburne - I recommend eating outside if weather permits, as the air inside is a little stale. Service was prompt and friendly. Buffalo wings are really chicken tenders with buffalo sauce, rather than wings at all, and so if you want the real thing, this isn't the place. Otherwise, the food was very good, but not what one could call great. Drinks were good, and generous.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Great attentive waitress...solid list of wines...good beer selection....Menu was standard fare of steaks, seafood, chicken, and some vegetarian options; something for everyone. Caesar salad was just OK but rest of meal was tasty.
They definitely need to install central air! Obviously an issue for them...it was hot and 1 Small ac doesn’t cut it.