“Horrifying...”
Review of North Star Motel

North Star Motel
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Charged our card the day before our reservation!!! When we got there, the room was so gross, it smelled like bleach. When I turned on the tv, I found a crack pipe sitting next it! We immediatly went to the front desk and she told us she couldnt refund our money because she didnt know how! We had to call the police! Horrible experience! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank jclark11582

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Pros:
1. Close to Burlington and on the main road
2. One of the cheapest places I could find around Burlington
3. No problems with reservations or checking-in
4. Clean room

Cons:
1. The sign board is not illuminated at night, difficult to find
2. Room smelled of bleach
3. Front desk was closed at 6.45 am when we had to leave. We left the key in the room and called later to tell them about it. They had found the key before we called and had no problems with it.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My boyfriend and I were traveling through the area and saw the North Star Motel and stopped in. We were very pleased with the price and the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. We were showed a few different rooms. All were clean and very neat. We did take a room and were very pleased with our decision.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ksb29
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Checked in in the late afternoon. Plenty of empty rooms at the time, but they managed to put me (a nonsmoker) in a smoking room. Being a lung cancer survivor and suffering from COPD, I didn't really appreciate that. When I got to the room, it hadn't been cleaned; the toilet wouldn't flush (as evidenced by the paper still in the bowl); there were cigarette butts in an ashtray; loose change in the bathroom on the sink (anyone know a housekeeper that would leave anything more than a penny lying around after cleaning?); and the bed was 3" lower at the head than at the foot. I called the front desk and they said that the room had been cleaned, but sent a housekeeper anyway. I pointed out the fact that the toilet wouldn't flush and she said "Oh, well, you have to hold the handle down till it is finished flushing." ... which she demonstrated by flushing and hpolding the handle down ... twice ... to get the little bit of paper to go down. Finally told them that I would appreciate it if they could find me another room. 45 minutes later they sent me to another, slightly cleaner, room. The staff for the most part had a "who cares" attitude, from the front desk to housekeeping. I should probably say that I am 62 years old, retired and on disability, and dress in levis and t-shirts and have long, tied-back hair, but am a respected antique picker. So, I don't look like your run-of-the-mill "businessman". Perhaps this had something to do with their attitude. When I was in the are this weekend (Columbus Day), I drove right past, even though they had vacancies at the time, and will continue to drive past any time that I am in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Rixxter
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We've been staying at the North Star Motel for about 10 times now, since 2005. The price is really good, especially during the winter months...

However, our experience did vary susbstancially, depending who was at the front desk. The corridor can be pretty noisy, especially at night.

One evening, an old blond woman, was asking us, panicked, if we smoked on our room. We said no, of course not (we don't smoke). She then asked us if we saw anyone smoke, which was pretty queer.

One other time, she made an obvious mistake on the date of our reservation...

Except for that old iron lady, the staff is extra nice and the rooms are OK for the price.

1  Thank sherbypaladin
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This motel is worth it if you are a budget traveller but it had 2 problems for me: the smell of cleaning fluid was so strong that i had to move to a room that hadn't been cleaned that day. Nauseating! then the vertical blinds were defective and didn't close properly to give privacy. Had to hang a bedspread over the rod. The rooms open to an interior corridor as well as to the outside parking which is convenient but a little noisy. Located on the main road into Burlington a few miles south.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Did not live up to its billing in "Lonely Planet" guide to New England. Booked the same day so selection and price may be better if we reserved further in advance. We got a bedroom in the basement without an air conditioner on a saggy bed. Luckily, the stand up, rotating fan made the night quite bearable and it was reasonably quiet. On the positive side, it was reasonably clean with the exception of a single hair in the bathroom sink and gum underneath the sink drain stopper, and the staff was quite friendly. The continental breakfast was very generous with prepackaged danishes, muffins, croissants, raisin bran, milk, coffee and juice.

It is about 7 miles outside of downtown Burlington.

All in all, my impression is that it is a typical roadside budget motel which is an OK place for a one night stop over.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 3 in Shelburne
Inn at Shelburne Farms
Inn at Shelburne Farms
#2 of 4 in Shelburne

Been to North Star Motel? Share your experiences!