“Disappointing & VERY overpriced”

Holiday Inn Burlington
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My lady friend and I stayed here the night before an early flight from nearby Burlington airport. The best available price for a "standard" room using AAA rates was just under $204 a night. For this outrageously high price, we received an adequately sized, clean room (#236) with two full-sized beds. The bathroom was very small, rusty (of all things!), dirty, and outdated. On the desk was a laminated notice advizing guests that south-facing rooms (such as ours) are frequented by box elder bugs, which apparently are so uncontrolled that they choose to laminate such notices rather than get exterminators to eliminate the pests. Room noise from neighbors was unacceptably loud until we set the air conditioner so low (60 degrees Fahrenheit) that it stayed on high all night. We'll never stay here again, and may never stay at a Holiday Inn again either.

Room Tip: Avoid south-facing rooms due to uncontrolled box elder bugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Kirk H,

I am very sorry about your stay with. Yes fall is our peak season and unfortunately that is when the box elders come out to warm up in the sun. Please know that our leadership team is addressing the room problems you encountered.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Free airport shuttle and shuttle to downtown is available though walking downtown is easy 20 min walk and passes right through the university. Beds are comfortable, hotel is quiet and has indoor and outdoor pool as well as restaurant, bar with TV and business center. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rate was reasonable. Though you can see the remnants of the old hotel under the renovation it is worth the price so ok. Bathrooms are small.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear 5pointsbuyer,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent visit with us. I am very happy the staff the staff was helpful and friendly. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Checked in late... checked out early... but a solid experience all round. Front desk clerk (didn't get her name) was extra helpful straightening out problems with my points card. I would have sorted it out later, but she insisted and got it fixed. Kudos!

Room was as expected, clean, comfortable... and a very friendly bar :)

Was a tad expensive, but I guess October is the big month in Vermont.

Great experience for the 10 hours I was there...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear TravelinMan314,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy the staff was kind and helpful while you were with us. I hope your next visit will be longer so you are able to enjoy more of our hotel's amenities.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel Columbus Day weekend 2014. Upon getting into our room we noticed that the room was fairly warm. The temperature gage stated it was 75 degrees. We tried to put on the air conditioning and it just blew warm air. We were told that they just switched the air conditioning system back over give it time to work and it should be fine. We were also told that if it doesn't work they would be happy to put a fan in the room. By the time we got back from dinner the room had gone up another 3 degrees. I went back down to the service desk to let them know. At this point they sent a maintenance man to check it out. He said it was the fan, and to help cool it off he set a little fan on the register to circulate the air. I then told the woman behind the counter that this was not acceptable since because of the holiday weekend and " leaf peeping" they jacked up their room price to $280 a night! She ( Katerina) credited us $70 for that night right there. She also offered to move us the next day and provided us with drink coupons for the bar. The next day we spoke with Victoria the manager. She was able to move us to a different room, but surprise the air didn't work there either. We found out the hotel can only run one system at a time. It is either set to air conditioning or heat, but not both! Victoria and Katerina were both wonderful to deal with and they compensated us for being uncomfortable each night in our room. The second morning I was woken up to people talking very loudly at 2:45 am down the hallway. Then I was woken up again at 8:00 to multiple doors slamming up and down the hallway. Then to top it all off, just before 9:00am housekeeping was knocking at our door! I would not recommend staying here until the owner does some major improvements to the building. He shouldn't be charging people close to $300 a night and not providing what is advertised on the website!

Room Tip: Make sure the room does not face the east or west side in the months of September-October when there...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Sonya T,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry about the air conditioning in the hotel but I am happy to know that the staff was able to assist you as best they could.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you're looking for a clean hotel in a decent location with a comfortable bed and free wifi, this is a good choice. There are two pools as well -- one very nice indoor pool and an outdoor pool as well.

But don't expect anything extraordinary. The bathroom wasn't fancy, the carpeting and furniture were low end, and the restaurant wasn't great at all.

For the price -- which was $273/night, I would have expected a heck of a lot more. While I wasn't disappointed with the accommodations, they didn't match my expectations for the price that I paid.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Wferriter,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your visit with us. I am happy that your overall experiance was pleasant. Yes October is our highest demand month and the rates are much higher than normal but I hope you had to opportunity to enjoy the changing of the season while you were with us.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in this holiday inn over the weekend. Overall we liked it, it is in a good location and close to downtown. However one complaint we have was there was someone else's hair in the shower when we first got our room. My wife discovered it and it freaked her out. It was on the shower walls, as if someone had showered there, washed their hair, and then it was never cleaned.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Joel K,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. I am very happy you enjoyed our location and I am very sorry about the cleanliness problems with your room. Please know that is not what we expect for our guests to experience and we have addressed this situation with our housekeeping team. I hope you will visit again soon to give us an opportunity to make it up to you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I were traveling recently when back home our daughter was rushed to the emergency room five hours away. Megan and her peer were very comforting and accommodating as we were torn between staying and going home. They made us feel comfortable even though we were dealing with a stressful situation. We ended up staying and the Hotel was a great stay with great service. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear cross 1012,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy our staff was able to make you feel at home during a very stressful situation and we hope all is well with your family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Vermont
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Holiday Inn Burlington? Share your experiences!