“Business trip”

Holiday Inn Burlington
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel reception hostess Megan Miller provided excellent service. As I have stayed here on one other occasion my expectations for room cleanliness were met. Room temperature was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The hotel is right next to the airport but noise was not an issue. There is an abundance of places to eat including a good restaurant attached to the hotel where the food and service are good for a family or for business. One critique is the rooms could be equipped with an actually work desk and chair instead of a lamp stand and high back chair. Overall I would recommend this hotel and plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear David B.,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent visit to our hotel. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and location. We look forward to your next visit to Burlington,

Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was appreciative of the kindness of Meagan and Kyle during my stay here. They both went out of their way to provide me information on the local breweries and food in the region. Definitely they best HI I stayed at in Vermont! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear doubleAA970,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very happy you enjoyed your visit and It is always nice to have our staff mentioned by name. We look forward to your next visit to Burlington.

Kinest regards,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here whilst on business in Burlington, having had the hotel booked by my company.

The hotel is very close to the airport and easy to find with good parking facilities. Externally it's appearance is nothing special but my spirits were lifted by the reception and lobby area from which I could see the bar/restaurant, a small pool and gym. However that was good as it got, my room on the second floor was a totally drab, uninspiring affair with stained walls adorned with the most boring, tacky prints, cheap carpets and even cheaper furniture and a minute bathroom whose shower provided a mere trickle of water.

The room didn't even have an office desk and chair which is inexcusable, having to work whilst sat on one's bed is far from ideal. The only plus side is the wifi worked well.

The air conditioning is old and clunky and the thin walls will allow noise from the units of adjoining rooms to come right through.

Lots of comments have been made on TA about the need for a revamp with official responses saying it will be looked into. Nothing appears to have been done to bring about any visible change.

I wouldn't recommend a stay in this hotel in its current state unless you have low expectations and standards.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Deano1967
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Deano 1967,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent visit to our hotel. Your experiance does not meet your hotel expectations and I would love the opportunity to make it right. Please feel free to email me directly to discuss at virginia@innvermont.com

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Although I've stayed in only four different Holiday Inns across the US, I can say with confidence that this location was the worst. We stayed during what I understand is a peak period, on Columbus Day evening (in October), and paid $167 for a standard room on the first floor. Here were our complaints with the experience:

- Longish line at check-in (two staff members).
- Rooms do not have a fridge or a safe.
- Rooms do not have a desk to work at nor a desk chair (just upholstered high-back chairs).
- NO HEAT and no control over climate in the room. Heating/cooling is controlled centrally, and the heat was not on for the season yet. Thermostat in the room only controls a fan on an old unit in the corner, and did not have an obvious "OFF" button. Had to call maintenance to find out that it has to be placed in "Economy" mode (for several seconds) to actually shut off the fan.
- Room was NOT CLEAN. My infant child found a plastic cup with rancid red wine caked on it near the bed. A few bar munchies were also found scattered about on the rug.
- DUST MITES: I have a dust mite allergy. Even with my usual medication, I woke up with one of the worst reactions ever. This means the pillows, mattress, box-spring and or rugs have *major* accumulation of dust mites and mite feces.
- Bathroom shows age (rust coloration near hinges on doors, paint chipping).
- Room does not have adequate lighting.
- Room does not come with glasses, just the thinnest possible plastic cups.

Here are some positive aspects of the experience:

- Interactions with the staff were friendly enough.
- Plenty of parking.
- Coffee in the lobby (but it's gone by 10am).
- Bed was comfy.
- Power strip near the bed for charging electronics was handy -- kudos to whoever thought of that little touch.

For the price, I would have expected a better stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Baltese F,

I am very sorry your experience was well below expectations for guests of our hotel. Please except my apologies and know that I would love to reach out to your directly. Please email me at virginia@innvermont.com with a contact number.

Again I am very sorry for what happened to you and your family

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Good: Location is great. Near the highway and 5 minutes from church street. Pool is great. Restaurant staff is very friendly. They gave us free breakfast to make up for screw up.

The bad: We reserved weeks in advance and i called a week in advance to make sure we would have a rollaway bed. They told me no problem. When we got there, they told us that they had no more rollaway beds and that you could'nt reserve one so i was pretty mad since i made the effort to call ahead to reserve one and that the lady told us that she would. The other front desk lady heard us and tried to get one from another hotel but didn't succeed. So i had to sleep with my mother (thanks a lot!) We got a free breakfast for 1 morning to make up and they found us a bed for the 2nd night. bu t for 200$ a night, i expected more. Burlington is beautiful but the hotels are pricey for what you get. Next time we will go to Boston like every year and stay in a better hotel for half the price 15 minutes away from downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear quebectraveller_8,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry we could not accommodate your request for a roll a way bed even after you called us directly in advance. The front desk folks will be retrained on guest requests via reservations to hopefully avoid this for our future guests. I do hope if you are in our area again you will give us a second chance.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

My lady friend and I stayed here the night before an early flight from nearby Burlington airport. The best available price for a "standard" room using AAA rates was just under $204 a night. For this outrageously high price, we received an adequately sized, clean room (#236) with two full-sized beds. The bathroom was very small, rusty (of all things!), dirty, and outdated. On the desk was a laminated notice advizing guests that south-facing rooms (such as ours) are frequented by box elder bugs, which apparently are so uncontrolled that they choose to laminate such notices rather than get exterminators to eliminate the pests. Room noise from neighbors was unacceptably loud until we set the air conditioner so low (60 degrees Fahrenheit) that it stayed on high all night. We'll never stay here again, and may never stay at a Holiday Inn again either.

Room Tip: Avoid south-facing rooms due to uncontrolled box elder bugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kirk H,

I am very sorry about your stay with. Yes fall is our peak season and unfortunately that is when the box elders come out to warm up in the sun. Please know that our leadership team is addressing the room problems you encountered.

Regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Free airport shuttle and shuttle to downtown is available though walking downtown is easy 20 min walk and passes right through the university. Beds are comfortable, hotel is quiet and has indoor and outdoor pool as well as restaurant, bar with TV and business center. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rate was reasonable. Though you can see the remnants of the old hotel under the renovation it is worth the price so ok. Bathrooms are small.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
VirginiaA794, Manager at Holiday Inn Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear 5pointsbuyer,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent visit with us. I am very happy the staff the staff was helpful and friendly. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Burlington? Share your experiences!