“Warm up the pool!”

Trader Duke's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had a very nice stay, but enjoy using the pool when we stay, and this pool was far too cold! Also, the pool towels are a DISGRACE, especially for a Hilton- they look like they bought them used from a local goodwill- really awful!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our hotel - I hope that you enjoyed your time in Burlington! I'm sorry to hear that our indoor pool was a tad too cold for you. We keep the pool at 82 degrees year round which is an acceptable and desirable temperature for our guests. As for your comment on the towels, I could not agree more with you and appreciate your feedback. Of course colored towels tend to fade faster than bright white towels and we do try to pull any towels that are looking bad or tattered so that our guests do not have to use them. We are preparing to purchase all new pool towels in August and we are excited to be able to offer these new towels in the pool and fitness center for our guests! Again, thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you again sometime in Burlington!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my family in Mid June for my sister soccer tournament (Nordic Cup). The hotel was huge! The room my family stayed in was the back on the second floor near the stairs. The lobby was amazing, very cool looking. And the COOKIES are to DIE FOR. We had a suite with a sofa and king bed with a cot for my sister (she said it was comfy.) The Traders Duke restaurant was good, and so was the swimming / hot tub area. Since we not in a main hallway there was no noise from all the other soccer teams that stayed. Also the hotel was in a great location!

Thanks, Matt

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that aren't in main hallways for less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt M
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at Trader Duke's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you, Matt, for taking time out to review your stay at our hotel during Nordic Soccer Weekend. I hope that you enjoyed your time in Burlington and your sister's tournament! We really appreciate all of the kind words you had to say about your stay and our hotel overall. Our suites are very accommodating for families traveling to the area and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the lobby's ambiance. We're preparing for some lobby renovations in the future, but don't worry; we certainly won't lose the Vermont appeal or charm! I'm also happy to hear that you had a chance to utilize hotel amenities like our pool and hot tub as well as Trader Duke's Restaurant and Lounge. Being located just offer Interstate 89 we are definitely in a central location for those traveling to Burlington for business or pleasure - only two miles from the downtown area and the Burlington International Airport. Last but not least, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our DoubleTree cookies! We have those cookies available 24-7. We hope that you'll have the opportunity to visit Burlington again and to be our guest in the future!

Reviewed 12 July 2012

nice big room, amazingly not noisy aircon, nice helpfull staff and great location, close from the airport and easy to find since i was driving on my own.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank heidimarie1202

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I really hope that you enjoyed the time you spent in Burlington! I'm so glad to hear that you had a pleasurable experience at our hotel. We certainly do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our room and friendliness/helpfulness of our staff. It is factors such as those that have kept our hotel in the top 20 of all DoubleTree properties for the past three years, based on our guest satisfaction scores! It's true that our location is very convenient to many places in Burlington like downtown/Church Street and the Burlington International Airport (BTV). I'm happy to hear that you didn't have a difficult time traveling in the area or finding our hotel. Should you visit Burlington again we would certainly love to have you as our guest. We'll have a warm cookie waiting for you!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here because I was supposed to run the VT marathon but ended up getting injured. However, this ended up being a blessing in disguise because we had a wonderful time.
The hotel is on a busy street but you do not hear any traffic in your room. We walked into the lobby, which apparently is being redone, since there were signs everywhere saying "Please pardon our appearance while we are remodeling." It wasn't that bad, but you could tell that the lobby needed an update. The front desk staff were extremely nice (and of course you get a warm cookie when you check in!) We walked to our room and were pleasantly surprised. Upon entering, you are in the living room, with a couch, coffee table, dining table, flat screen TV, sink, cabinets, and fridge. The bathroom was quite large and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and clean, and there was a flat screen TV in the bedroom as well. The only complaint I had was that upon entering the room there was a faint mildew smell. I commented on this in a survey that I completed and got a prompt reply from the guest services manager, who was very nice and took my comment seriously. She told me that they were cleaning out the HVAC units and deep cleaning the carpets. The only other complaint I had was that early in the morning I was awoken by children running down the hallway and doors slamming. At night it seemed like you couldn't hear anything (awesome), but then in the morning you could hear many noises (annoying, but not that big of a deal).
There is so much to do in Burlington, especially on Church Street. We stayed for 2 nights, and both nights we asked the front desk if they would call us a cab. They pleasantly obliged and our cab arrived in about 15 minutes, and the ride to Church Street was about 15-20 minutes.
We also had breakfast one day at the attached restaurant (Trader Dukes) and it was fantastic.
This is a convenient, clean hotel with great staff and good amenities.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ev4
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay over Marathon weekend. It sounds like despite the injury you really enjoyed your time in Burlington! It is true that we have been going through some renovations this summer. We began with carpeting and wallpaper in hallways and will be continuing this in other public areas; we built a new gift shop next to our front desk which was completed just last month, and will be working on the addition of a "Grab N' Go" cafe, but the dates for this renovation have not been set. We pride ourselves on providing the warmest and friendliest customer service and I'm very glad that you recognized that! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our well-appointed, two-room suites. It's so nice to have the living area for relaxing and separate bedroom for sleeping and is perfect for larger parties, families, or even just two friends or a couple! I was the one to receive your guest satisfaction survey and can confirm that the HVAC unit in the room you stayed in (in addition to others) have gone through their spring cleaning. We've also had some time recently to deep clean and shampoo carpets. We really pride ourselves on keeping our hotel to the highest standards of cleanliness possible. I'll be sure to pass along your kudos to our breakfast chef as you mentioned dining in Trader Duke's. They serve breakfast daily with a wonderful Sunday Brunch and I'm happy that you had some time to enjoy this while you were with us. Should you travel back to Burlington for pleasure or even for next year's marathon we would love to have you as our guest once again!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in the Double Tree with our family for a wedding in Burlington. The rooms were well sized and clean. The location was just 15 minutes out of town near the interstate but the rooms were quiet. It had not charm or ambiance but it was good for a stop on a road trip or a short stay in Burlington.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Escapists2
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel and thank you for your feedback. I hope that you had a great time at the wedding you attended while you were here! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and recognized our clean, well-appointed rooms. You also mentioned our convenient location just off Interstate 89. We are definitely centrally located to meet business and leisure travelers needs alike, being only 2 miles from downtown Burlington, the Burlington International Airport, and many local businesses. I hope that if you are back in the area that you might choose to stay with us again. We'll have some warm DoubleTree cookies waiting for you!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for the 4th of July - rooms readily available for a last-minute trip - probably an indication of the popularity of the hotel. Chose this hotel based upon being a Hilton Hhonors member - used some points plus $70 - so the price wasn't bad. Also - they allow pets, according to their web-site, and we have a very small dog.
First of all, the layout of this room was not well thought-out. We were in a non-smoking king bed room, and the bathroom is terribly small. A minor complaint about the walk-in shower - only had the usual soapdish and no other shelves to hold your shampoo or conditioner. Since it is a shower stall, you couldn't put these items on the tub - so resorted to the toilet tank just outside of the shower. There was also a lack of towel hooks or bars.
The sink was not in the bathroom, but in the room itself as some hotels place them. The problem was that the sink was just too close to the door leading to the hallway. Found myself asking my wife to move over just to leave the room if she happened to be at the sink. The rest of the room was fine - bed was comfortable.
When we returned to our room at one point, we found the thermostat to be changed from when we left. This might have been due to a short power outage - there were thunderstorms in the area around the same time.
Internet connection - my laptop said that I was connected, but wasn't sure since the response time was so slow I switched to my samrtphone.
Pets allowed. I believe the weight limit was 75 lbs and they had a refundable $75 fee. HOWEVER, what they did NOT note on their website, is that the pet is not allowed to be left alone in the room. I understand the thought behind this - that some dogs will bark, etc when left behind, and could cause a disturbance if left alone. Our small dog, when put in a crate (which we brought along) will NOT bark when left alone. How is one supposed to go to the pool or fitness room or restaurant when those areas do not allow any pets? I think they should make their "pets allowed" policy clear on the web-site.
Location was convenient to nearby Burlington and Lake Champlain, although the restaurant choices in the area seemed rather small.
Most hotels offer coffee in the lobby, usually a bit better than what is available in the room (this one had the usual Wolfgang Puck coffee maker in the room). The only coffee outside the room to be found was at a small station near the lobby and just off of the attached restaurant - and they wanted $1.50/cup.
Overall - a decent value and might stay there in the future, but have been to better hotels for the price, including other Doubletrees.

Room Tip: You may want to look into a larger suite if you need lots of room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew D
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I hope that you had a great time in Burlington! We appreciate your feedback regarding the layout of our rooms and bathrooms. Unfortunately we do not have any room renovations planned in the near future (I understand that having the vanity separate from the bathroom is not preferred by some guests) but I do appreciate your comment regarding the lack of shelving in the stand-up shower and will take this suggestion to my Chief Engineer - I believe that this is something that we could easily address! We are currently working on a complete internet upgrade which will take our speeds from 1mbps to 20mbps,a drastic increase! This was a two-step project and we are just working on step two before it is complete. I'm sorry that you had a challenge using this complimentary service. I'm glad to hear that you brought your dog along for your trip to our city and am sorry that our website did not completely list all pet restrictions. While it is true that we ask that guests do not leave their animals alone in the room during their stay, this is only when they are off property and if guests do decide to use the pool, restaurant, etc., we just ask that they let us know that the pet is being left alone in the room for the time being. I'm very sorry that this was not clearly communicated to you. The verbiage on our website is limited, but I will see if I am able to edit this so that it is clear for all pet-loving guests! I am happy that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and convenient location. We hope that you might consider giving us another shot if you should visit the Burlington area again!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Could not make the AC go below 71, but stupid me, I didnt think about opening the window. On a chilly night outside- that would have fixed things. Restaurant breakfast was pricey, but pretty good and waitresses were attentive and quick. I'll stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the hotel. It is a HOOF to get back to the higher numbered rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I do hope you enjoyed the time you had in Burlington! I'm sorry to hear that you were having trouble getting your room to the perfect temperature. I can assure you that we have folks here around the clock to assist with situations like this, so please don't ever hesitate to ask for assistance! I'm very happy that you enjoyed your breakfast in Trader Duke's and recognized their quick and attentive service. I will be sure to share your kind words with them. We do recognize that we have an older property, but we are always looking for ways to spruce things up so that we can provide better service and amenities to our guests. Recent renovations include standard guest room bathrooms, hallway carpeting and wallpaper, new flat-screen TVs and bedding in rooms, and we are currently working on an internet upgrade, which will increase our speeds by 20x - that will be quite the improvement for both our business and leisure travelers! I hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area next. It'd be our pleasure to have you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Trader Duke's Hotel? Share your experiences!